Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IVF/ICSI - Pregnant after day 3 ET?

(8 Posts)
koolforcats Fri 15-Jul-11 16:25:57

Hi

I need some reassurance...

I'm provisionally booked in for my ET tomorrow, which'll be day 3. It could change if they call me tomorrow to say they're confident to carry on to blasto but I want to prepare myself for going in tomorrow. The thing is, I know that if I have it done tomorrow I'll be feeling less optimistic than if I got to blasto.

I know plenty of people get pregnant after day 3 transfers, if they didn't I guess they wouldn't bother but if you had a successful pregnancy after a day 3 transfer, I'd love to hear about it, thanks smile

Yaya70 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:20:15

Hi there, I got pregnant (with twins) after a 2 day transfer and know of plenty of people who got pregnant after a 3 day transfer. My situation is slightly different to yours I guess, in that I only had 2 embryos to put back (I was a poor responder). Hence the feeling that the best place for them was back inside me.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

koolforcats Fri 15-Jul-11 17:35:24

Wow that's great, thanks Yaya smile

RunLyraRun Fri 15-Jul-11 18:37:21

I'm delighted to be a positive story for you :in

Like Yaya, I was a poor responder. I only squeezed out 3 measly eggs. We unexpectedly needed ICSI rather than IVF, and only 2 of the eggs were sufficiently mature to be injected. Both fertilised and I had a single embryo transferred on day 2. I am now 19 weeks pregnant, and the second embryo is a frozen blasto.

I considered cancelling the cycle prior to retrieval, but everyone kept saying "it only takes one". I thought that was bollocks, and I also thought day 2 transfer was a bad idea. For once was very happy to be wrong smile.

Best of luck to you.

Fluter Fri 15-Jul-11 19:01:15

Yup, another one - 2 eggs only, both fertilised, both sticky and twins due September / Oct.

I was a bit hmm when they said they'd do the day 3 transfer, because I kept reading that leaving it to blasto was better, but as the embryologist said - they're safer inside you than in the lab, since inside you is where they're supposed to be!

Good luck - will keep fingers crossed for you smile

koolforcats Fri 15-Jul-11 19:28:49

Thanks Fluter, you answered my other question about resting too, so I'm feeling a bit blush at becoming a mumsnet slut!!

Runlyrarun congratulations on your pregnancy! A great story, and additional proof that it only takes one (which is our mantra on my main mumsnet ivf thread!). We too unexpectedly needed ICSI so I do hope I'm as lucky as you. I'm confused as to how your frozen one got to blasto? I thought if it looked like they might not continue developing then they get them in the freezer? Or if they think they will continue to blasto then that's the one they would have transferred? Sorry if I'm being nosey or stupid confused!!

RunLyraRun Fri 15-Jul-11 21:25:01

Neither nosy nor stupid, it was a peculiar stipulation from our PCT. Both embryos were of excellent quality on day 2, but of course the clinic would never have advised us to go to blasto with only two. They chose the slightly more developed embryo to put back, and the embryologist was just about to put the other one in the freezer when she realised that our PCT would only allow blastos to be frozen. We offered to pay for freezing there and then ourselves, but of course you can't top up NHS treatment like that. So we had a nerve wracking 3 day wait to see if that one would make it.

Piglet28 Fri 15-Jul-11 21:33:35

Hi, had ICSI 3 day transfer, 2x grade 2 embies transferred and have a lovely DS.

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now