Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which book?

(10 Posts)
emmazed Fri 15-Jul-11 15:36:07

I am 28 weeks preganant with my first and dont really have a clue about things baby...

I realise that things are different for each person, depending on your baby as well as how you want to bring up your child. However, i feel i would love to have a practical book that is useful telling me things i just wouldn't otherwise know. For instance what is 'normal' or recommended at this time (eg move out of moses basket\growth spurt) and some handy tips on how & what to do when.

There are so many out there, so are there any books that you would recommend?

serendipity81 Fri 15-Jul-11 19:07:54

Do not go near Gina Ford with a barge pole .....I ended up feeling like a complete failure as I couldn't manage her routines etc. Stuff like feeding at set times -nonsense! Read the basics and come on mumsnet to find out the rest! Seriously good advice from real people.
To be completely honest I just wish I did what felt natural at the time and not worried about whether I was making a rod for my own back e.g. I struggled for ages trying to get her down to sleep by herself when I knew if I gave her a quick bfeed she'd be off in 5 mins....in retrospect it really made no difference and made my life easier. I mean if it works so well, its got to be the natural and right thing to do...right?!
Anyway, congratulations. Hope things are all going smoothly for you, enjoy being pregnant smile Try not to overthink things, you'll be a fab mum x

Oh, one other thing that might be useful. My SIL joined an NCT group and went through antenatal, postnatal and got loads of advice and is still going to things on breastfeeding, weaning etc. And made really great friends with similar age babies. I really wish I had something like this whenI had my dd...nevermind. Just found out Im pregnant again so will def join one this time!

JennyPiccolo Fri 15-Jul-11 19:14:31

I found the 'What to expect: The first Year' book the best one. Really practical, tells you all the ways you could approach a problem and is really good for developmental milestones etc.

It's the only one i've read that i have faith in, really. Only thing is, it reads kind of like an encyclopaedia so not that easy just to sit and read at once.

DilysPrice Fri 15-Jul-11 19:16:23

I swear by What to Expect... as well. For any given situation it will have a section, and a reassuring "yes, this happens quite often, don't panic, just do XYZ".

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 15-Jul-11 21:25:48

the wonder weeks details all the developmental spurts that can cause changes in behaviour etc. (disclaimer...haven't read it but is oft quoted on here and i've found those quotes really useful.)

There is no normal re stuff like moving out of moses basket etc...those are artificial constructs babies know nowt about, and can happen when it suits you. As for developmental milestones take those with a pinch of salt too. I saw another mner point out the other day that we have a five week window for when a baby is term, but expect then all to smile at week seven (or whatever).

Maybe read something routiney (gf) and something baby led (attachment parenting) as they are generally considered two ends of a spectrum. Then see where you think you (and your baby) fit in relation to those.

Mostly read loads of mn...lots of support and experience on here. In particular the bf/ff board.

Whe it comes to books do bare in mind weather the book is well referenced (ie evidence based) or just someone's opinion (as a lot of self styled child care experts seem lax in this regard)

emmazed Mon 18-Jul-11 10:31:44

thanks for your advice. i will look up those books

Quenelle Mon 18-Jul-11 10:39:07

The Food of Love gives fab BF and cosleeping advice.

Quenelle Mon 18-Jul-11 10:39:07

The Food of Love gives fab BF and cosleeping advice.

Badgerwife Mon 18-Jul-11 11:44:55

I got given "What to expect.. the First Year" and agree it's absolutely fantastic. I would also recommend the MN Guide to Babies; I'm reading it now and finding it very enlightening yet lighthearted at the same time

mummy2l Mon 18-Jul-11 12:02:00

I found "your baby week by week" fab as gives a nice breakdown of what to expect each week for the first 6 months also second the what to expect series. Both mentioned are not too heavy for those first few new baby brain months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now