Talk

Advanced search

How soon can you leave the house with a newborn?

(61 Posts)
Saffra Fri 15-Jul-11 13:45:55

My little baby girl is due to arrive in mid-September, and I'm trying to imagine life with our new arrival.

If all is well (i.e. no complications during labour and baby is ok), how soon can I leave the house? (e.g. going for gentle walks, visiting family that live nearby, etc.)

I appreciate that everyone is different, but would love to hear of others' experiences or expectations on this!

suzikettles Fri 15-Jul-11 13:49:23

Well, we walked home from the hospital - only 5 minutes down the road but I guess you could call that ds's first outing (he was 3 days old).

He was born in mid November so it wasn't quite weather for strolling in the park, but dh & I went for lunch with him when he was just over a week old and I went to meet my mum and grandma at a nearby cafe (Grandma couldn't manage the stairs to our flat) when he was about 2 weeks old.

My nephew went to his first wedding when he was 5 days old.

Just do what makes you feel comfortable, not what anyone else thinks you should smile

Meglet Fri 15-Jul-11 13:50:58

As soon as you feel well enough. If you are planning on bf you will probably find it easier to snuggle down at home to do it though.

TBH I had cs's and was happy staying in for the first week with just a wander to the shop after a few days. Took a few weeks to get back into the swing of things both times.

toobusytothink Fri 15-Jul-11 13:51:25

DD was born at 10:30 am on the Tuesday and I left hospital that afternoon. Took her to the park the next day at about 11:00. So approx 24 hrs old. As soon as you feel comfortable about it basically though. As you say, everyone is different. My birth was uncomplicated but I know if you have a c-section you may not feel like standing up for days let alone walking. Good luck and enjoy.

silverangel Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:01

I have no idea from personal experience but there was a 5day old in John Lewis yesterday when I was shoppping (with his parents, clearly, not by himself!).

piprabbit Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:25

I went for little walks around my area within a couple of days of getting home - it was good for me to get out and use some muscles.

Once we'd finished with the visitors coming to us, I visited my parents and MIL from about 2 weeks - gradually built up the variety of people I visited as I got more confident with my little routines.

I didn't go out shopping until DD was about 6 weeks. Couldn't face the crowds, the uncertainty of where I'd BF etc. plus 'germs' fear.

While you are still expecting, it might be worthwhile checking out local changing and BFing facilities so that you know where you can go with confidence (Thank you John Lewis) once the baby has arrived.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 15-Jul-11 13:54:32

As soon as you feel up to it. And you won't know at this stage how you'll feel after the delivery. Take it as it comes and just be open to the fact that you might want a few days at home with your feet up getting the feeding established first.

DD1 was born on the Thursday and we took her to a friend's 30th on the Friday night (and undoubtedly took all the attention the birthday boy should have been having blush) but with DD2 I was in a lot of pain afterwards so despite being allowed home the same day I didn't emerge for another 3 after that.

It depends so much on how you feel, and it is more about you really than about the baby.

My DH took DS2 out to the park with DS1 when he was 4 days old, I didn't leave the house until DS2 was over 2 weeks old because I was taking it really easy after my section to avoid infection and problems like I had with DS1.

nannyl Fri 15-Jul-11 14:05:03

im planning a homebirth
and really hope to leave the house the next day... probably just to walk into the village, nothing major!

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:15:45

Soon as you feel up to it! Straightforward birth here, family all were round for us coming home, then we all walked into the town (2 min walk) with the baby.

Its really funny first time, you feel like a little girl pushing a pram, like you're playing at being a mother!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 15-Jul-11 14:16:59

I remember that feeling, Pootles. Wish I could do that bit again, actually ...smile

naturalbaby Fri 15-Jul-11 14:25:49

i had a homebirth with no drugs/complications and went for a short walk on day 2 then felt totally wiped out, and seriously doubted i could make it home!

thegingerone Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:57

Ah Pootle, lovely memory, thanks!!
I went out quite quickly with both of mine. It's a case of when you feel up to it. I'd get cabin fever if I couldn't wander out to the local shops whether I'm with a newbie baby or not!! It depends if you're feeling up to it. If you're not, you won't even worry about it. Snuggling at home staring into newborn eyes is brill!!!

Agree with naturalbaby, you might be surprised how wiped out you' ll be. Don't wander too far first time!

KirstyJC Fri 15-Jul-11 17:26:25

DS1 it was 6 days old when we registered him, not including the trip from the hospital to home on day 4.

I went out the day after with DS2 and DS3, and in fact was in B&Q choosing paint for the hallway with DS3 when he was 4 days old....

But it really does depend on what you feel like. All being well, you could take baby out straight away if you like - in those early days it's about whether you are ready.

Congrats and good luck - enjoy your birth!

create Fri 15-Jul-11 17:34:09

It'll be more to do with how you're feeling than what's OK for baby and that will depend on what the damage is down below and how tired/emotional you are.

With DS1 my mid-wife advised me to stay in PJs for the first 10 days - that meant that visitors expect to make your tea rather than the other way round. It was good advice.

With DS2 I wanted to keep things "normal" for DS1, so we went to toddler group at around 3 days.

Sidge Fri 15-Jul-11 17:40:04

I had DD3 on the Friday by C-section, home on Monday morning and did the school run for DD1 on the Tuesday. Though we do live next door to the school so it was only a 2 minute walk!

I was desperate for some fresh air after being in a stuffy hospital (it was September) and DD1 was desperate to show off her new baby sister.

As long as the baby is appropriately dressed it will be fine to go out as soon as you like really; remember though that physical exertion can increase your lochial blood loss. Take it easy for the first few days and don't feel under pressure to go out, or have lots of visitors.

DaisySteiner Fri 15-Jul-11 17:45:55

I had an appointment 8 hours after ds3 was born. I kept it (taking ds3 with me, obviously)

TyMinisterForMagic Fri 15-Jul-11 17:48:58

I had dd at 00.30am. left hospital at 10am and visited the inlaws at 6pm. I was knackered as hadnt slept due to being high on the gas and air still grin

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Fri 15-Jul-11 18:52:39

Had a CS early the Tuesday morning, was out of hospital mid afternoon Thursday, had to pop to Mothercare for something so we all went. Great looks from some people when they saw her - had a good 4/5 people ask 'ooh, how old?' and then some shockshockshock when we said '2 days' grin

I was frankly just desperate to see somewhere other than 'hospital' and 'home', having been admitted to hospital late on the Sunday and being ever so slightly stir crazy!

babycarmen Fri 15-Jul-11 20:41:21

I didnt leave the house for a week but that was due to being really sore :/ just take it easy and see how you feel

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 15-Jul-11 20:46:36

DD2 was born at 6am, left the hospital at 3pm, and stopped at Boots to get maternity pads. Thought I was doing great, but burst into tears at the self service tills.

HLSalter Fri 15-Jul-11 21:36:21

My DS was born at 21:25pm on Tuesday, second degree tear - no stitches. I was induced 6 days early due to pre eclampsia. Me and my DP took him out for a walk Wednesday morning as I was getting cabin fever in the hospital. Then yesterday I was out with him for 4 hours (getting him registered, 24 hour check, had lunch and went shopping). I'm doing my weekly shop at Tesco tomorrow with him.

Just go with your instincts, I didn't really want to stay in my pjs and rest as I didn't need to.

Eviepoo Fri 15-Jul-11 21:44:17

When I had DD - I was in hospital 4 days (they were worried about blood clots as my mum has had three)
Day 5 I put her in a sling and went into town for a wander - it was ok, but I had rested for 4 days

Pagwatch Fri 15-Jul-11 21:47:50

It depends on how you feel

I have been out and about the next day with all three of mine. But I felt up to it -really wanted to get out.
But I hate hospitals. Wanted to get home asap and wanted fresh air asap.

MynameisnotEarl Fri 15-Jul-11 21:50:44

ilovemydog - when I had DC1, it was customary to stay in hospital for 6 or 7 days, even after a straightforward birth. Your trip out after nine hours wouldn't have even counted as day one!!

Women must be made of sterner stuff these days smile. I felt wiped out for several weeks and hibernated a bit. Lovely time though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now