Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy - when did you feel the first movements?

(23 Posts)
TeacupTempest Fri 15-Jul-11 12:49:55

I am 18+3 with my first. Desperate to feel some movement, partly due to being impatient but partly stressing something might be wrong (seems such a long time between scans) and it would reassure me.

I thought I felt fluttering last week but think that was probably wind and wishful thinking!!

When did you first feel movement and what did it feel like?

Molybdenum Fri 15-Jul-11 12:57:14

Oh I was just like you - desperate to feel it! And it seemed that everyone was telling me they could feel their babies from 16 weeks. I almost got to the point where I was going to drive to my Dad's house in the middle of the night and ask him to listen to the heartbeat because surely the baby must be dead or I would be feeling it move! (My Dad is a doctor, by the way, so has a paediatric stethoscope).
Anyway, like you I thought I was feeling little bumpy fluttery motions but couldn't be sure. I became more sure from about 20 weeks, and could feel definite kicks by 21-22 weeks. I'm now 29+5 and there is no way you could mistake the earthquakes in my abdomen for anything apart from a healthy, mobile little person in there smile

People say size has something to do with how early you feel it, but my experience doesn't conform to legend: pre-pregnancy I weighed 7 stone and had a BMI of 17 so there it wasn't like there was any fat tissue muffling the kicks (as someone once put it).
Hang in there; you'll be sure of movements before too long.

saoirse86 Fri 15-Jul-11 12:58:30

I felt it at about 14/15 weeks. For me it was like little bubbles - very strange! I think it depends on things like the way the baby's lying and your size. Have you got a MW app soon so you could ask about it then?

Paschaelina Fri 15-Jul-11 13:00:49

I was about 18 weeks, but I wasn't really sure until nearer 20. My friend didn't feel anything til 21 weeks.

Abcinthia Fri 15-Jul-11 13:05:29

At about 17 weeks. I thought at first there was something wrong with my stomach because I thought it was too early to feel movements.

MsChanandlerBong Fri 15-Jul-11 13:16:04

I was nearly 20 weeks by the time I felt proper movements. And even then it was only when I was lying in bed really concentrating on my stomach!!

In hindsight I probably felt the 'bubble' thing back at around 18 weeks, but as I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be feeling I dismissed it as wind!!

TeacupTempest Fri 15-Jul-11 13:34:28

Seems to vary quite a lot then? I shall just have to try and stay calm and patient then. Not convinced by the size thing as I too had a low BMI pre pregnancy. Ho hum!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Fri 15-Jul-11 14:02:16

I was exactly 15 weeks. It felt like bubbles to me too smile I was also overweight before conceiving so the weight issue holds no water here!

Currently 25+1 and when I lie on my back or in the bath I can see my skin moving when s/he squirms around grin

Try not to worry too much about it, I've got a couple of friends who felt nothing until well into twenty something weeks.

benne81 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:08:13

17- 18 weeks - though it took at least another couple of weeks to convince my hubbie thats what they were! I think that if your on your feet all day it makes them much less noticable but when sitting at desk or lying down your loads more likely to notice. Even now at 29 weeks if I'm running round, doing loads I don't notice them as much.

simbo Fri 15-Jul-11 14:10:47

About 14 weeks, and I agree, it was like bubbles.

lolajane2009 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:14:59

about 18 weeks i think.

Awomancalledhorse Fri 15-Jul-11 14:23:26

16weeks, it's bubbles..like you're gassy and about to trump. grin
I notice it way more at night, just as I'm trying to get to sleep.

Beesok Fri 15-Jul-11 18:28:13

Hey, I was as worried as you are - felt little flutters from around 19 weeks but very random and wasn't really sure that it was baby, got more and more worried but my MW calmed me down saying that she would only start to "worry" if I got to 26 weeks with no proper movements (also my placenta is anterior so was told I might feel movements a bit later)

I felt proper kicks for the first time at around 23 weeks and have noticed a pattern since, don't worry you'll feel them soon and it will be wonderful smile

LaWeasleyAintWeaselyAnymore Fri 15-Jul-11 18:48:25

I'm sure I remember not feeling DD until much later than books/MN posts suggested. I think it was as late as 20 weeks in the end when I was sure that was what I was feeling. I am low BMI too and was then as well.

At the early stages I just didn't find them very noticable at all, I wonder if some people are just less sensitive to the 'fluttering/bubbly movement stage' especially if you are busy a lot... later on she was never hugely active in the womb, after she'd got into head down position for the birth she stayed there for months and only kicked in one place!

As it happened she wasn't a very active baby either, she was a late walker too.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Fri 15-Jul-11 18:53:10

me and 7 ante-natal chums were all 20 weeks or over when we could be sure of feeling something real and not just wishful thinking. i was 22 weeks!! so please don't worry. lots of people seem to be earlier on with second or later pregnancies, maybe they just know better what to look (or feel) out for!

blackteaplease Fri 15-Jul-11 18:59:09

It was at least 20 weeks, maybe 21. I remember being really worried as my midwife had been asking if I'd felt anything and I was so relieved when it started.

MissusTulip Fri 15-Jul-11 20:24:04

convinced myself I could feel the 'fluttering' or 'bubbles' at around 17 weeks but in hindsight, think it was just my anxiety / imagination / wishful thinking, based on people telling me they'd felt their firstborns from 15 weeks on... May have been the first movements but hey ho. Then in week 18, was sitting on the sofa digesting lunch and felt 3 big taps, like baby was knocking on my tummy wall saying 'hello!' Def not imagination! But then back to 'maybe' movements til after week 20-21. Now v wriggly active baby in there who like to tap dance on my bladder and cervix...

My MW also said she wouldn't be worried til about week 24 and I still couldn't feel movements. Like other posters have said, baby may be muffled by an anterior placenta or may be blissfully kicking towards your back where you won't feel it now.

babycarmen Fri 15-Jul-11 20:37:14

Week 18, was lying on the sofa with my feet up watching tv and got definite fluttery movements, no mistaking what it was smile

AchtungBaby Fri 15-Jul-11 20:59:16

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but the position of the placenta can also affect how early you feel your baby moving.

Once I started to feel DS moving, my favourite thing was to lie in bed, just feeling him move and thinking about him smile.

TeacupTempest Fri 15-Jul-11 21:12:33

Thanks everyone, feel reassured to hear all the variation in responses.

Just can't wait to feel the little creature knocking. He/she was dancing all over the place in the 12 week scan.

blueeyedmonster Fri 15-Jul-11 21:15:05

I first felt them at 14 weeks but nothing again until after 16 weeks.

edwinbear Fri 15-Jul-11 21:53:09

I didn't feel anything until 23 weeks with DS, but I had an anterior placenta so that will have muffled the sensation a lot. With DC2 I've only this week (21 weeks) starting feeling it, (posterior placenta) so I just think I'm not very sensitive to it!

Merinda Fri 15-Jul-11 23:29:20

17 weeks and definitely little kicks - like a gentle rumble. The reason I knew exactly was because it was drumming into one and the same spot for quite a while...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now