Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Self check cervix?

(17 Posts)
fatbottomgirl Fri 15-Jul-11 10:51:46

Has anyone done it? Is it safe and what are you feeling for?
My theory is it can't be any worse than DH poking around in their, but I would have no idea what I was feeling for. blush

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:00:08

I've never heard of this and must admit the thought makes me squirm a bit! Why would you do it? Do you know what you are feeling for? How do you know you wouldn't create problems, i.e. poking too much, germs, etc?
I really hope you mean sex with DH and not that he has a good look and a poke every now and again!!!! [shock}

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:00:20

shock

Sidge Fri 15-Jul-11 11:03:22

What would you need to check your own cervix for?

Do you mean in labour to see how you're dilating?

Not really necessary TBH, and potential for introducing infection.

fatbottomgirl Fri 15-Jul-11 11:04:13

Of course I mean sex grin I think it may put him off forever if I told him just to poke about. shock.
As for your other questions that's what I was asking for. I did check cervical position when ttc so I am assuming it is possible while pregnant.

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:06:19

I still wouldn't know why you would want to do this on your own!!! shock There surely could be risks associated with you doing it?! (mentioned above) and you would not necessarily know what you were feeling for.
Leave it up to the professionals.

Snusmumriken Fri 15-Jul-11 11:20:06

Hello,

I asked my midwife if my DH could check my cervix when I am in labour. I would really like to stay home as long as possible before we head off to the hospital. I could of course do it myself if I am still able to get my arm around my bump!

She said it would be fine as long as he knew what to feel for. We are both very comfortable with my body so I doubt we will have any problems. However, she did advise us to use latex gloves.

I would advise every woman to familiarize herself with her vagina before and after pregnancy/birth.

Good luck!

fatbottomgirl Fri 15-Jul-11 11:32:20

snusmumriken That is my feeling. I am keen to know for myself what is going on with my body.
Does your cervix come down nearer the end of pregnancy or stay in the high position?

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:42:19

"I would advise every woman to familiarize herself with her vagina before and after pregnancy/birth."
How and why Snusmumriken?
I may sound like an idiot but I'm not sure why! I understand the wanting to know what is going on with your body etc but don't understand the need to know it inside out!
How does your husband know what to look for when you're in labour?

Snusmumriken Fri 15-Jul-11 13:24:51

Hello Fatbottomgirl,

I am not sure if the cervix will change positions. I will have to ask my midwife the next time I see her. Although, I certainly hope it will! Anything to make the babies path shorter and faster. smile

Hello Renaissance227,

Thanks for the question. If I understood your position correctly, you can understand the benefit of 'knowing your body', but you are not sure why you would need to know it 'inside out'.

I agree with you that it is beneficial to at least attempt to 'know our bodies' and I also believe that a crucial aspect of that process would be to familiarize ourselves with our reproductive organs. After all they are a vital part of our body.

Thus, I think that it is advisable for women to be familiar with their vagina/cervix for the same reason that I believe it is advisable for women to be familiar with their breasts or indeed any part of their body. We are better able to detect any potential abnormalities if we know what the norm is.

Furthermore, in regards to our genitalia, I have found that my sex life improved drastically once I became familiar and comfortable with my body inside and out! smile

best,

Snusmumriken Fri 15-Jul-11 13:33:14

Sorry, Renaissance I forgot to answer your last question.

If I have understood the process correctly it is possible to assess how dilated a cervix is by inserting 2 fingers into the the vagina and estimating the cervix's diameter.

DH or my midwife would therefore insert his/her latex covered fingers into my vagina and estimate the diameter of the cervix. Simples, and much more fun if DH does it! smile

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:47:43

Thanks for the answer, though aside from the sarcasm at my expense I do see why you would do it I still do not agree this this being a necessary part of childbirth (if your DH does it) or life!
Yes breasts you could feel a lump or abnormality, but not necessarily with the cervix!
Still, I hope you have fun with DH poking around in there! smile Each to their own!

Snusmumriken Fri 15-Jul-11 14:00:34

Hello Renaissance227,

Thanks for the response. I really did not intend to be sarcastic. I was going for 'tongue- in- cheek', but I guess we would have to be face-to-face for my humorous side to shine through!

I admit that I am a little obsessed with 'the body'- I blame it on my line of work. smile

best wishes,

fraktious Fri 15-Jul-11 14:05:46

I checked mine. Just be scrupulous about hygiene!

Am awareness of your body is healthy and helpful and may help you make more informed decisions about staying home/going in.

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:29:30

Snusmumriken - Maybe you should try reading your "tongue-in-cheek" answer back to yourself to find that it just sounds sarcastic!
Maybe your responses do work better face to face! smile
Thanks anyway. I'm afraid working in a hospital has put me off bodies to some extent! Though obviously not all bodies! wink

lovesicecream Fri 15-Jul-11 15:30:54

It's supposed to become high and hard during pregnancy and moves back slightly towards end when baby's head is pressing on it, I remember trying to feel it in late pg once but couldn't reach!

lovesicecream Fri 15-Jul-11 15:32:47

It also thins out at the end so would think it feels quite different from how it did before pg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now