Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dizzy when getting up or lying down

(16 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:09:51

I have been getting all dizzy whenever I go to lie down and when I get up, it goes once I am up but has been happening for about a week.
Pretty normal in pregnancy?

Iggly Thu 14-Jul-11 21:12:37

How far along are you?

It could be low blood pressure which can get
lower in the second trimester - I have this and have to drink plenty of water and find myself wanting salty foods. Speak to your midwife and see what she says.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 14-Jul-11 21:16:23

I get it when I stand up quote often, are you lying on your back cause that can as well.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:21:47

Iggly, I'm 26 weeks. My blood pressure has been 130/80 the last few times I had it checked but that was a few weeks ago.
I sometimes Lie on my back love and sometimes on my side.

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 14-Jul-11 21:48:10

Sounds like low blood pressure, which I have when pregnant or not, moreso in pregnancy.

I find that eating something sugary first thing in the morning helps - keep some bananas by your bed and eat one before you get up.

Speak to your midwife too.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:05:40

Blooming, I can't. Bananas are the one thing I don't eat grin
I wonder if the BP has dropped suddenly because in my first pregnancy just under 2 years ago it was a lot lower tha it is now at 110/60

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 14-Jul-11 22:27:36

Ok, ok, rumbled: I ate bananas to ward this off in my first pregnancy.

This time around it's a bowl of Frosties blush or a chocolate cereal bar - same sugar injection, fast.

MsChanandlerBong Thu 14-Jul-11 22:31:22

I think lying on your back can make you dizzy too - due to pressure from bump on an artery. I can no longer lie on my back (really annoying!!!) as this does make me go a bit light headed.

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:40:30

I had exactly the same thing for a few weeks when I was around 17 to 22 weeks. I never had low blood pressure or problems with lying on my back and it just went.
Occasionally I get it if I stand up too fast but not very often.
Might be worth just asking your midwife about it though, just to be on the safe side.

Ivortheengine8 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:42:24

Thanks mr and ren. Can you get your BP checked at chemists?

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:49:51

I'm not sure but I think there are some chemists who will check your blood pressure. Might be worth trying Boots chemists.

Ivortheengine8 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:57:56

Ok I will try that. I'm sure its just a pregnancy thing. I'm also on blood thinners which might have something to do with it.

Renaissance227 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:10:00

That could definitely have something to do with it!
I'm sure it will go though. Just get plenty of rest and take your time doing stuff.

annekins Fri 15-Jul-11 10:30:14

I have exactly the same problem and have done since about 5 weeks. There's just not enough blood to get round us both...have had a normal reading at mw's app this week, and just have to be careful getting up, and take my time.

Always good to get yourself checked out though, takes 30 secs.

Though any excuse for a bowl of frosties though!

Iggly Fri 15-Jul-11 17:07:24

anne you make me want frosties now <drool>

Renaissance227 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:31:12

Hi Ivor did you manage to get your blood pressure checked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now