Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is MIL talking rubbish?

(9 Posts)
ellesworth Thu 14-Jul-11 17:53:31

MIL is driving me mad, she's like a pregnancy Nazi at times, telling me what I can and can't do and what I can and can't eat. According to her I'm not allowed to eat ice cream from the ice cream van now! I would have thought it would be OK since it would be pasteurised.

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 17:56:34

It's true. Soft ice-cream gets piped through and carries a risk of listeria I think it is. Dairy ice-cream is stored in tubs so fine. But it's up to you where you draw the line with recommendations.

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 17:57:23

Sorry to be bit clearer think the risk comes from the cleanliness of the piping equipment etc.

ellesworth Thu 14-Jul-11 17:58:42

Gah, thought i could get one up on her. ;-) Ah well, all my dairy cravings shall have to come from the supermarket.

JenniL1977 Thu 14-Jul-11 17:59:14

That's the one thing my mw was very vocal about me not eating. But it's just that whipped soft rubbish, not proper ice cream.
Aw, and I thought I'd get to help you beat a MIL on something sad how annoying when they're right smile

GoldenGreen Thu 14-Jul-11 18:02:35

I've never seen anything about the ice cream van thing on any official advice (and I have looked!). Do MWs tell you this then?

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 18:06:25

I had an independent midwife and she def told me. I was gutted as I went to all you can eat buffet and was looking forward to tipping chocolate fountain on ice-cream factory and got the big no no. It goes like that magic ice stuff you got as a kid.

Off to google now as if I missed that dessert 3 years ago for nothing i'll still be smarting

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 18:07:51

Google listeria in soft serve ice-cream tis there. Sulk.I'm pregnant again was getting hopeful of ice-cream factory again

Kayzr Thu 14-Jul-11 18:07:54

Yeah its true. I was told by my MW both times and I read it somewhere too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now