Talk

Advanced search

Is MIL talking rubbish?

(9 Posts)
ellesworth Thu 14-Jul-11 17:53:31

MIL is driving me mad, she's like a pregnancy Nazi at times, telling me what I can and can't do and what I can and can't eat. According to her I'm not allowed to eat ice cream from the ice cream van now! I would have thought it would be OK since it would be pasteurised.

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 17:56:34

It's true. Soft ice-cream gets piped through and carries a risk of listeria I think it is. Dairy ice-cream is stored in tubs so fine. But it's up to you where you draw the line with recommendations.

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 17:57:23

Sorry to be bit clearer think the risk comes from the cleanliness of the piping equipment etc.

ellesworth Thu 14-Jul-11 17:58:42

Gah, thought i could get one up on her. ;-) Ah well, all my dairy cravings shall have to come from the supermarket.

JenniL1977 Thu 14-Jul-11 17:59:14

That's the one thing my mw was very vocal about me not eating. But it's just that whipped soft rubbish, not proper ice cream.
Aw, and I thought I'd get to help you beat a MIL on something sad how annoying when they're right smile

GoldenGreen Thu 14-Jul-11 18:02:35

I've never seen anything about the ice cream van thing on any official advice (and I have looked!). Do MWs tell you this then?

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 18:06:25

I had an independent midwife and she def told me. I was gutted as I went to all you can eat buffet and was looking forward to tipping chocolate fountain on ice-cream factory and got the big no no. It goes like that magic ice stuff you got as a kid.

Off to google now as if I missed that dessert 3 years ago for nothing i'll still be smarting

Tinkerisdead Thu 14-Jul-11 18:07:51

Google listeria in soft serve ice-cream tis there. Sulk.I'm pregnant again was getting hopeful of ice-cream factory again

Kayzr Thu 14-Jul-11 18:07:54

Yeah its true. I was told by my MW both times and I read it somewhere too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: