Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My baby is 5 months old - and I've just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant.

(30 Posts)
retrodiva Thu 14-Jul-11 11:38:30

Kind of says it all, really, doesnt it? Am in a bit of shock. Has anyone else had two ridiculously close together? Just trying to get to grips with the idea, my DH can't see why I might be..... a little upset. He thinks it is is fabulous.

nethunsreject Thu 14-Jul-11 11:40:45

Congatulations!

I have huge gap, but my cousin had same as you. First few years were tough, but then it was fab as they grew up together and are so very close!

retrodiva Thu 14-Jul-11 11:44:59

I also have a nearly nine yo DD, who has been tremendous help with the baby, and will no doubt be so too, with the next one which is a godsend. I'm just a bit overwhelmed

TheTruthNothingButTheTruth Thu 14-Jul-11 11:45:13

Congrats! Its the best way to have kids. They will grow up together.

beebee1978 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:02:36

congratulations!!! my brother and his wife had there children all close together in fact the 2 girls were only 13 months apart. it was vary hard when they were very young but there now all grown up and our all very close particularly the girls there 19 and 20 now.

my sons just 6 months old and i missed a pill so i might be joining u have to wait till saturday to find

nunnie Thu 14-Jul-11 12:04:16

I am 30 weeks pregnant well tomorrow and there will be under 12 months between this one and my son, I fell pregnant again when DS was 11 weeks old.

nunnie Thu 14-Jul-11 12:06:42

Sorry should ahve said, we were both shocked no idea why we knew how babies were made wink. I think the shock came from having fertility issues with my 1st and 2nd then have sex once and protected and falling pregnant I blame christmas!
The shock has worn off just about but I am very nerous about the whole newborn and pre walker stage.

kenobi Thu 14-Jul-11 12:09:58

Hello, one of my closest friends has a 12 month age gap between hers. The hardest thing was carrying two (non-walking) babies of differing weights at the same time!

kenobi Thu 14-Jul-11 12:10:16

Ah X-post! Why do you blame Xmas?!

nunnie Thu 14-Jul-11 12:11:41

Because it was the 26th of December and we treated ourselves to some us time. Won't be doing it again this year wink Had it not been Christmas he would have been working away.

retrodiva Thu 14-Jul-11 12:13:36

I took the MAP after an unexpected advance from hubs. Clearly didnt work :0
I'm sh*tting myself, if truth be told. I had hyperemesis gravidum with both of my daughters, I cant see how on earth I can cope with a 6 month old and extreme sickness!

OnEdge Thu 14-Jul-11 12:24:03

Its a good thing ! I had my 2nd and 3rd 15 months appart and it has worked out really well, the 3rd is 10 months now and is no bother. She is just happy to go with the flow as long as she is involved with the older two (4 and 2) I think it is easier to have them all close together because you can do everything in one group and they all seem to enjoy it. My mates who have their kids spread out have to to do different types of activities and sometimes it splits the family at weekends etc. For example, one bedtime story suits all of my 3 kids grin

Get a good double buggy.
I use a ruck sack too - hands free

I think i found the hardest thing the last trimester of the pregnancy, and the first 2 or three weeks getting feeding established, after that I soon adapted. The first pre school run was scary, getting out of the house with all 3 by 8.30 shock but I 'd cracked it by the 3 rd day grin

startail Thu 14-Jul-11 12:43:15

Congratulations,
Only on bit of advice, get your baby used to being held and having things done for them by Dad, their sister and any random friend or relative and to sometimes having to entertain themselves. My friends 16 month old daughter found it much harder to understand that her baby brothers needs were different and sometimes more urgent than hers. It always had to be Mummy do it, while my DD who is 3 years older seemed to understand that she was different to a baby DD2.
As for bring sick, make sure you have a proper cot upstairs and a travel cot down stairs so if you need to worry about the baby while feeling horrid. Clearly very useful after DC2 is born too. My DD1 wouldn't stay in the travel cot for long, but it was essential occasionally because she would climb the furniture the moment I turned my back.

lovesicecream Thu 14-Jul-11 12:57:12

I have 8 years between each of my three, 16,8 and 17 weeks, im 8 weeks pg with my 4 th and also worried about hg and the fact that my last baby was 8 weeks early so their could be only 9 months between them if this ones as early !

kenobi Thu 14-Jul-11 13:01:22

Sorry to harp on about this (weirdly fascinated) but if you're only 6 weeks so far, that's looking at the beginning of June to blame, no?

It doesn't matter at all, I'm just being nosy! blush

nunnie Thu 14-Jul-11 13:08:17

I'm 30 weeks it is the OP who is 6 weeks.

kenobi Thu 14-Jul-11 13:37:21

Ohhh, duh! Sorry nunnie, that's what happens when you speed read!

retrodiva Thu 14-Jul-11 13:43:08

Just had the HV round. Looking at everything, we reckon the baby will due in March. Have a scan tomorrow, so will double check. Feel sick today already, and nappies are a little troublesome sad

spiderslegs Thu 14-Jul-11 13:49:59

Mine are 15 months apart.

They have spent all day trying to kill eachother (but are the best of friends when not locked in mortal combat....approx 10 mins a day).

& remember, valium is your friend.

Seriously though - you'll be fine, mine are very close, it's a bit hectic when they both get mobile, try to co-ordinate afternoon naps, that two hours in the afternoon was a life-saver for me.

I also used to stick the older on in the travel cot with a load of toys when I was BFing the youngest.

Happily DS self-weaned at 11 1/2 months - I was worried he'd feel usurped or I'd be tandem feeding.

My sister & I are 11 months apart and two of five , my mother survived (just) & we only spent the first 28 years of our lives trying to kill eachother.....

spiderslegs Thu 14-Jul-11 13:51:21

Oh, & get some kip whist they're asleep in the day - I used to love my afternoon naps (all a distant memory sadly).

jubblicious Thu 14-Jul-11 15:31:35

Hi, I've just found out I'm pregnant and my DS is 7 months. I was shocked to say the least! DH is happy and has made me see how it could be a good thing. I'm hoping that both DC will be close, and losing my hair will be worth it!!

nunnie Thu 14-Jul-11 15:38:41

No worries kenobi, I do that all the time one here all the names merge into one smile

xkatyx Thu 14-Jul-11 16:44:44

Hi I also found out I was pregnant when my dd was about 4months I'm
Now 14 weeks and it's twins lol

At first it was so shocking but it will be great they will all grow up together

retrodiva Thu 14-Jul-11 16:47:25

katy: i cant even contemplate that it might be twins, but having had my hcg levels monitored, It's not likely. You are v brave!!!!!! Thankyou to everyone for their responses, I have been a member for ages, but dont come on much, too busy tweeting ;) I'll be on far more often now!

xkatyx Thu 14-Jul-11 16:50:18

If your going by hcg levels mine wernt a give away at all.

Infect they told me I was mc because they were low and wernt doubling so going from that to twins I nearly fell of the bed.

You will be fine and it will sink in :9)

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now