Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

toxoplasmosis - anyone been tested late on in pregnancy?

(5 Posts)
redundant Thu 14-Jul-11 11:34:10

hello, just wondering the above?

I have pushed to be tested as worried (probably/hopefully irrationally) about a possible source of infection I've been around, but GP now saying that test may not reassure me anyway - ie if it comes back positive that won't show if its a new infection or from childhood etc. And what would we do about it - I am 38 weeks.

I think I am going to get tested anyway, and hope its negative, but wondered if anyone else had had this dilemma? TIA.

icravecheese Thu 14-Jul-11 11:51:11

I have never been tested for toxo as late as 38wks, but 1st preg got test at 27wks (no immunity), 2nd preg had test at booking (no immunity) & this preg had test at 18wks (still no immunity). (We travel to France alot, so I insist on tests!).

You need to wait at least 4 weeks after exposure to be tested (it can take this long for antibodies to be produced). My results of no immunity always came back within 2 days of blood being taken, but if they find that you have antibodies (i.e. you've contracted toxo & have produced an immune response) it can then take up to 2 weeks to work out whether the antibodies are from a recent infection or from years ago.

I guess your Dr thinks what is the point in having the test, when the results might not be back until after your baby arrives.

However, if you were found to have contracted it during pregnancy, they may well monitor your baby more closely and can offer treatment during his/her first year of life to minimise any effects if he/she got the infection whilst in the womb.

Finally, it can take up to 4 weeks for your immune response to the infection and, if you are unfortunate enough to pass it onto baby in the womb, that can take a further 4 weeks (i.e. 8 weeks in total to reach baby in the womb following exposure). So it depends when you think you were exposed??

Sorry for long & rather dull factual post - but I have researched toxo ALOT during my 3 pregs as have always worried about it due to our frequent travel to France (where it is a lot more prevalent). I am amazed I have no immunity as we eat ALOT of rare / undercooked / cured meats when I'm not pregnant.

GOod luck xx

icravecheese Thu 14-Jul-11 12:21:41

ps just seen your post about cockroaches, you poor love....

For the cockroaches to be able to transmit toxo, they would have to have been previously feeding on cats faeces from a cat who has toxo.... the whole chain of events must be SOOooooo rare, therefore I imagine your risk is so teeny tiny.

However, I know how much worries like this can play on your mind when you're expecting a baby, so do insist on your dr carrying out the blood test as i'm sure it'll put your mind at rest, which is much better than stressing about it until baby arrives.

redundant Thu 14-Jul-11 13:30:19

thank you that's really helpful, have just come back from having bloods taken. Doctor actually changed her mind and rang me to say that although she thinks risk is minute, she figured as there is actually something they can do if I am positive (re-test, anti-bs) so worth doing.

I am feeling slightly more rational about things today, am going to try and stay that way! Thank you for being nice!

Beesok Thu 14-Jul-11 19:05:58

Just wanted to add to reassure you that toxo poses a serious threat in the first trimester - now am not saying it's not be taken seriously further along but the chance of baby getting it or it really affecting the baby are much much lower at such a late stage, fingers crossed your tests come out OK and try not to worry about it in the meantime smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now