Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

colouring hair when pregnant?

(8 Posts)
pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 21:57:11

Normally have highlighted blonde hair since being pregnant decided to go brown I had to use a perm hair colour cause temp dont take.

Prob is it keeps washing out so had a dark dark brwon on perm and that washed out wel nearly has.

In total done hair 4 times since pregnant Im 17 weeks thinking it might be better to just keep it blonde and stop bothering but people keep telling me bleach is bad to use but isnt perm colour in dark just as bad?

My friend today said I should just leave it when pregnant and stop colouring it which I might do and just have big roots.

Advice anyone what do you do about colouring your hair?

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 21:59:14

had it done twice at hairdressers twice myself xx

CBear6 Wed 13-Jul-11 22:02:49

It's fine to colour your hair, afterall hairdressers have babies too smile

The amount of hairdye actually absorbed by your skin is negligible , you would aborb higher levels of harmful chemicals walking along the motorway in rush hour.

The main things to remember are to do a patch test and a strand test beforehand because pregnancy hormones make your skin and hair react differently to the dye, make sure the room is very well ventilated, and don't leave it on longer than the recommended time.

hellymelly Wed 13-Jul-11 22:03:22

highlights are better than colour as there is much less contact with the scalp.The bleach bit is not the problem,its the toxic stuff in the colouring bit that is contentious.So the darker colour is much worse than blonde highlights. i just let my hair grow out when i was pregnant but then I am lazy about getting my highlights done at the best of times.I would have your roots touched up with highlights if you don't want to go natural and ask the colourist to try not to get too much colour on your scalp.

benne81 Wed 13-Jul-11 22:04:27

Very little formal research on this but I have been advised highlighting is ok as the dye is not touching the scalp but try and avoid dye on scalp because that is where it gets absorbed into body. As I said though very little research or evidence for this just theorectical risk I think and possibly over cautious advice

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 22:12:06

thanks I might have been better sticking with highlights like you hellymelly I dont bother getting roots done that often so would have been better with this in the first place but had so many people telling be bleach is terrible when your pregnant that thought dark be better. Going hairdressers next week to sort it outxx

TinyDiamond Wed 13-Jul-11 23:32:12

Since I have been pg I've found that dye won't stick to my hair at all. Tried it once at the salon in the early days then twice since at home and have now decided to save my money. Hairdresser said it is just one of those pregnancy things and quite common.
On a positive note even though my hair colour has naturally changed being pregnant it has grown lots and is looking super healthy I get lots of compliments on it. Hopefully yours will be the same you might find out your colour grows out really quickly

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 02:13:51

Your right Tinydiam its costing alot then the colour just washes out like you say it doesnt stick. I noticed my hair been growing fast I decided to just leave it alone for now and just have big roots lolxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now