Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

7+5 scan measured 5-6 weeks

(10 Posts)
iamamummy Wed 13-Jul-11 18:32:06

Hi ladies.

I am a bit baffled and not quite sure whether to prepare for the worst or cling on to hope...

By lmp I should be 7+5. today I had slight bleeding when wiping so contacted my gp who examined me and wanted me to go for a scan to rule out eptopic.
I had a scan where I have been put at 5-6 weeks. Written on my notes is sac and yolk seen showing very early pregnancy but no sign of viable pregnancy. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a re scan. Meanwhile I still have all the usual pregnancy symptoms.
I have miscarried previously but that was after a heartbeat was seen. I also have had 2 healthy pregnancies.
Thanks x

LoneStarGirl Wed 13-Jul-11 21:11:08

hi,
I'm certainly no expert and am on my 1st pregnancy, but my understanding is;

-if your period was irregular you don't necesarily count from LMP as this goes on the basis of a 24 day regular cycle
-5-6 weeks would be too early for a scan to pick up much information or a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean that there won't be one

so i would suggest staying positive at the moment (which is difficult I'm sure) I went for an early scan thinking that i was 7+1 but the scan showed that I was actually at 6weeks because my cycle had not been regular

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

MrsCLH Thu 14-Jul-11 11:21:41

I had the exact same result as you when I went for an early scan at 6+4 (according to my last lmp). Consultant was very negative and said that although it could be down to early gestation, pregnancy did not look viable.

I found it best to prepare myself for the worst, but that's just me. Spent a horrible week waiting for re-scan but when I went back there was a little pulsing jelly bean measuring exactly 7 weeks - its now a big 30 week bump!

So whilst I'm not saying outcome will be the same for you, it's not necessarily going to be a negative outcome, if you see what I mean.

Hope you get good news.

xx

Folicacid Thu 14-Jul-11 11:25:35

I had the same at around 6 weeks but I knew that I had a long cycle so felt okay.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is that LMP works on assumption that you ovulate at day 14 but if you ovulate later in cycle then it makes you more pregnant that you are. My dates were changed at 12 week scan which put me more in line with my ovulation dates. (what were rougly in my head)

Still early to detect a heartbeat so stay positive.

iamamummy Thu 14-Jul-11 11:41:01

Thanks ladies.

My lmp was 20th may and I got a bfp on the 18th June as I just "felt" pg. If you go by ovulation dates the baby is bang on size but if you go by lmp it adds on 2 weeks. It's all so confusing and I'm trying to stay positive about it all. Fingers crossed and thankyou for sharing your stories with me smile x

kri5ty Thu 14-Jul-11 11:56:26

you could have a long cycle?? try not to worry too much hun, i havent had any yet.. but a lot of my friends dates were all out (but the dates they had worked out themselves, by ovulation, were bang on!)

CBear6 Thu 14-Jul-11 13:30:21

With DS the MW used my LMP to work out how far I was and gave me an EDD of 10th July. I was sure this was wrong but went along with it because I didn't have a better idea. When I went for my 12 week scan the baby was only measuring 6-7 weeks. They said that either the dates were wrong or baby had stopped growing. I'd had a previous mc so was prepared for the worst. They told me they'd rescan in six weeks, sooner if I had any bleeding or pain. Six weeks later there was 13 week baby onthe scan and he's now almost 2yo.

With this pregnancy the MW said EDD was 20th August based in LMP but I said 15th September because I knew I was on a six week cycle since a mmc earlier in the year. When I went for an early scan after some bleeding the scan showed 8 weeks while by my dates I was 10 and by the MWs I was 13-14. I worried again about impending mc but when I went back three weeks later she was 13 weeks along so had caught up to my dates and she's due 11th September (so my dates were only four days out).

LMP isn't an exact science and relies on your cycle being 28 days long with ovulation on day 14, but ovulation can change in any given month depending on loads of factors (diet, illness, medication, stress, etc).

Fingers crossed everything is okay.

CBear6 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:31:22

With DS the MW used my LMP to work out how far I was and gave me an EDD of 10th July. I was sure this was wrong but went along with it because I didn't have a better idea. When I went for my 12 week scan the baby was only measuring 6-7 weeks. They said that either the dates were wrong or baby had stopped growing. I'd had a previous mc so was prepared for the worst. They told me they'd rescan in six weeks, sooner if I had any bleeding or pain. Six weeks later there was 13 week baby onthe scan and he's now almost 2yo.

With this pregnancy the MW said EDD was 20th August based in LMP but I said 15th September because I knew I was on a six week cycle since a mmc earlier in the year. When I went for an early scan after some bleeding the scan showed 8 weeks while by my dates I was 10 and by the MWs I was 13-14. I worried again about impending mc but when I went back three weeks later she was 13 weeks along so had caught up to my dates and she's due 11th September (so my dates were only four days out).

LMP isn't an exact science and relies on your cycle being 28 days long with ovulation on day 14, but ovulation can change in any given month depending on loads of factors (diet, illness, medication, stress, etc).

Fingers crossed everything is okay.

galwaygal Thu 14-Jul-11 19:42:06

iamamummy - you are fine!, the baby should measure according to ovulation dates, not lmp dates. So everything is looking good. To see a sac and yolk sac is exactly as you would expect at 5/6 weeks. Hopefully when you go back in two weeks you will see the little ones heartbeat.

Anyway even if you did not have late ovulation, then I can reassure you that I had scan at 7+3 which showed only sac (not even yolksac) and dated at 5 weeks, this went on to be my dd!!!! Early scans are notoriously unreliable.

I hope that the spotting stops for you so that you can feel more relaxed about the pregnancy, but just remember so far so good and today you are pregnant.

iamamummy Wed 27-Jul-11 14:57:19

I went for my scan today. By dates I should be 9+5 going by previous scan 2 weeks ago I should be 7-8 weeks.
I ended up having an internal where some improvement has been seen. I fetal pole measuring 2.5mm but no heartbeat.
The lady said next week I will have a definate decision as if no heArtbeat is seen it will be classed as a failed pregnancy.

So a few questions....

If a heartbeat is not seen but there has been growth surely the pregnancy is still alive?

If the fetal pole is above 6mm with no heartbeat could it be a viable pregnancy still?

I was all prepared for bad news today but I do not want to be pressured into ending this pregnancy next week if there is the slightest chance of hope.

Any thoughts?! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now