Talk

Advanced search

Aspirin and pre-eclampsia

(7 Posts)
lookout Wed 13-Jul-11 16:55:55

Just been to see the consultant obs and he's put me on aspirin for the rest of my pregnancy (I'm 25 weeks) as I had severe pre-eclampsia in my last pregnancy which resulted in induction at 38 weeks. Apparently aspirin can help reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia but I've als just read that it can cause bleeding in pregnancy. The last think I need is to start bleeding as I'm enough of a worry wart as it is, am going to France for 5 weeks at the end of July so will be away from the comfort of my GP and mw! Anyone taken aspirin and had/not had bleeding?

expatnow Wed 13-Jul-11 17:01:35

Yes... I was actually put on aspirin before I was pregnant as I had a history of miscarriage and the doc thought this might help. Because I had severe pre-eclampsia I was then told to keep taking it the whole way through. I did so and had no bleeding (other than a bleed at 6 weeks or so). I just had my baby last week and all was well- went full term and there was absolutely no symptoms of pre-eclampsia. Good luck!

meravigliosa Wed 13-Jul-11 17:17:29

I have been taking aspirin since early in pregnancy, and heparin since 8 weeks because of antiphospholipid antibodies. It is only prescribed if your consultant thinks the benefits outweigh the risks. Same in last pregnancy that went to term. No bleeding that time, or (touch wood) this time.

lookout Wed 13-Jul-11 20:15:30

Ok, thanks both for the reassurance. I guess I should just suck it up and trust his judgement. He knows what he's doing after all!

Marrow Wed 13-Jul-11 20:21:47

Yes I took aspirin before getting pregnant on advice of consultant due to history of miscarriages. I then stayed on it whilst pregnant as I had pre-eclampsia with DD. I took 75mg/150mg on alternate days. I did have some bleeding later on in the pregnancy but that wasn't related to the aspirin.

eatyourveg Wed 13-Jul-11 20:37:31

I was put on aspirin by the consultant all the way through ds2 pregnancy having had severe pre-eclampsia with ds1 and emcs and a relative who died of eclamspia. They stopped the aspirin around 37 weeks I think in case there were problems with the labour as I had asked for a vbac. Interestingly as the ds2 pregnancy went without a hitch (until labour) I didn't need aspirin for ds3 pregnancy at all.

lookout Thu 14-Jul-11 08:23:26

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good to know others have been through this and the aspirin has helped. I am everything crossed for not getting it again. I want to go to the birthing centre grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now