Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight issues

(6 Posts)
Griff82 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:49:14

Think this may be more of a vent post than question. I am having first baby in November, was size 16 when I conceived. Feels like all the midwives/ doctors/ sonographers see me as some sort of beached whale!! So far all early appointments have made me feel really bad about my weight. I am not an unhealthy size 16 and without excuses as I know I could lose a few pounds I have a size 36GG bust, so I am aware I am not small.
Because my BMI is over 30 they have referred me to consultant and have to have GTT. Every midwive has looked surprised when taking my blood pressure as it is very good- they must presume its normally high!
To top it all both scan notes refer to poor view due to mothers habit/weight!
Very fed up with it all, you would think I weigh 50 stone!!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Wed 13-Jul-11 17:05:58

Don't worry about any of it. HCPs will always be more wary because of this 'magical' BMI figure which MUST mean you're close to death you're so fat (hamming it up, but that is how it feels sometimes). Enjoy your GTT: nothing I appreciated more than being told I had to do absolutely nothing for two whole hours. BLISS!!! grin

pruney1977 Wed 13-Jul-11 17:28:30

If it makes you feel any better my BMI is 57. I think some sonographers are lazy, the first scan I had, the chap scanned me on my side as he said baby would show better. He got a great view and said so on the form but the 2nd scan was 2 girls (who kept me waiting for 25 minutes whilst they chatted - my bladder was fit to burst!) and they had me straight on my back and I got maternal habitus on the form but still got some good pics.
I will be going to see the consultants too and have a GTT but everyone has commented on how healthy I look and how much energy I have. I'm a carer which involves hoisting etc and there's nothing I'm not doing at work. My SIL is also pregnant, of normal weight and has been off sick for 2 weeks so it doesn't mean you're going to have a harder pregnancy. I suppose as I'm so overweight I'm very used to medical people commenting on it but actually, everyone's been very supportive to me and not said I should have tried to lose weight first (which I personally think I should have done).

Valiant1 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:59:38

Hi my BMI was 35 when i first found out i was pregnant i was 19st 6lb. when i was 16 weeks i was 16st the midwife told me off for "dieting!" truth was i just to ill to eat. I am now 29 weeks and wieght in at 17, the consultant still will not sign me off till i am 36 weeks. like trina says enjoy the time sitting doing nothing. and having time to chill. I think they just like to have women on there books xx

Cattleprod Thu 14-Jul-11 16:09:58

You get the same level of fuss at the other end of the scale - my BMI is 17 and I have to have a GTT test too, two extra growth scans and lots of hassle about whether I'm eating and drinking enough, eating plans with lots of unappetising porridgey stuff and far too much liquid for a normal person to drink in one day! hmm

Maybe they leave you alone if your BMI is what they call 'average'

Griff82 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:58:06

Thanks for the posts, my pregnancy feels to be going well so I think its just my hormones making me feel inadequate! Havent fallen into the eating for two trap so weigh gain has not been bad. I will have to just deal with it I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now