Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shrek Feet - dangerous?

(7 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Wed 13-Jul-11 14:59:10

I'm 33 weeks and in the last four days I have grown shrek feet. I no longer fit in my pretty-ish flat sandles and am now in flip flops sad

My ankles look so bad DH looked at me with a sad face last night and said it looks like I've broken them! Great!

My hands and face (up to now!) are ok and my wedding ring in still a bit lose - so is this normal or something to worry about?

I have a midwife appointment next week so will show her them (poor woman!) then ... but until then I just want to know if there is any cause for concern?

Thanks

Madlizzy Wed 13-Jul-11 15:00:48

You need to be off your feet and resting. I would have a chat with the midwife just in case she wants to check your BP is okay. Give her a bell and see if you can pop up there.

Newmummytobe79 Wed 13-Jul-11 15:04:29

That's just it ... I'm not on my feet! I sit at a desk all day so I'm not on my feet at all! Have a 2.5 hour round car trip to/from work - so sat down in the car too.

Is this something she could sign me off early for? I really really need to work the next few weeks but also want to be prepped in case she says no more work!

Thanks

silverangel Wed 13-Jul-11 15:39:40

I think its quite normal unfortunatley! I've been in flip flops for weeks and was reduced to interviewing in converse the other week at work as just could not get my feet into my shoes! BP totally normal, low if anything, and I think you're right that hands and face are more warning signs of pre-eclampsia.

Lynzilove Wed 13-Jul-11 17:13:53

Have had fat feet for weeks now, bp is all good just get your feet right up whenever you can (above your heart if possible-lying on sofa with feet up on the arm of whatever). It's uncomfortable but one of the joys of being pregnant! The weather certainly doesn't help either! Even my flip flops and slippers have been tight for the last few weeks. Thankfully the end is in sight (due tomorrow) and they will go!

Rootatoot Wed 13-Jul-11 18:10:06

It's no good just being 'off your feet' as it at a desk. I was doing some work at my desk at home yesterday and mine were dreadful. You have to sit with you feet up on a chair/sofa, on a pile of cushions so they are raised. Not so easy if you are at work. I would mention it to MW & see what she says but as other posters say, just one of the joys I think smile

sparklytoes Wed 13-Jul-11 18:13:33

Ive had it for what seems like months. Midwife has kept an eye on it but I don't think they are bothered unless it is in your hands and face as well. It is worse for me when I sit down and my legs are down (like at a desk or driving), if I can sit with my feet up I do! Also, it helps to do those exercises that you are meant to do on long haul flights -circling ankles and moving them up and down. Even better if you can do them with your legs above the level of your heart.
I miss my ankles. I never knew how much I should have appreciated them when they were here. Never again will I be so complacent about them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now