Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks pregnant and just discovered there are cockroaches in our house.

(8 Posts)
redundant Wed 13-Jul-11 10:26:32

as above really - am just so upset about it.

Had pest man out, he has to set traps to check exactly which rooms they're in etc, and then will treat but will take 2-3 treatments to get rid of them. In the meantime I am absolutely stressing out about toxoplasmosis (which apparently they can carry) and then health/hygiene once baby is born.

We don't have any family nearby or I would move us out. Don't know how they came in - first thing pest man asked was if we travelled abroad recently, which husband does a lot for work - maybe he brought one back. We're also a terraced house, so have had to let neighbours know.

Sorry, just wanted to share. Blub.

mopsytop Wed 13-Jul-11 10:33:51

Oh no, you poor thing! Ugh, cockroaches are just so GRIM. I have no idea how it is passed on by cockroaches but why not go and see your GP just for reassurance?

redundant Wed 13-Jul-11 15:28:45

thanks - I have made an appt tomorrow to have bloods tested for toxoplasmosis, but I think that will be inconclusive even if positive (ie won't be able to tell if I've had it for ages or caught it whilst pregnant). It seems the only way to tell for sure is to get baby tested once born. Am really worried about it.

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 15:32:37

I am no expert but I think the risk is no greater with cocroaches than with other insects that could come into contact with cat faeces e.g. flies.

I used to work in a lab and dealt with cat faeces constantly some of which will have been infected with toxo if that is any reasurrance for you, I worked there right through my 1st pregnancy.

MummyAbroad Wed 13-Jul-11 21:55:53

Poor you, I do sympathise. I loathe cockroaches, but I live in Costa Rica and they are a fact of life here.sad We have to get our house fumigated twice a year to keep them at bay, its a constant battle.

I just wanted to reassure you that I am on baby number two and living in close proximity to cockroaches has never done me or them any harm, and I dont believe the incidence of toxoplasmosis is any higher here than it is in the UK, and while being advised about toxoplasmosis related stuff by doctors over here, the empahsis was all on washing food properly and washing hands a lot, nothing specific mentioned about roaches at all.

hope they are all gone soon.

somewherewest Wed 13-Jul-11 22:13:07

I really sympathise. We found a small number of the nasty little beasties in an (otherwise nice) flat we moved into about five years' ago. It took us a month and two visits from pest control to get rid of them. There were a couple of things apart from pest control which helped. Firstly, the little bastards hate light. We kept them confined by leaving all the lights on and sprinking anti-insect powder all over the floors. It also helps to cut off their food supply. Put all food in sealed containers, clean the kitchen from top to bottom and get rid of all your pot plants. Make sure there is no water anywhere (ie wipe everything down. Don't leave even droplets in the sink). Cockroaches can live for weeks without food but apparently they can only go for 24 hours without water.
Hope this helps!

Eralc Thu 14-Jul-11 06:17:20

Yuck - poor you. Another one here to reassure you - we live in Sydney, and cockroaches are part and parcel of life here - there were lots in our house (despite our best efforts) when I was pregnant with DS2, and everything was fine with him. I agree with trying really hard to keep all food covered and sealed - that, combined with roach baits, seemed to stop them getting out of hand (there were still some lurking, but not as bad as before) And nothing was mentioned to me about toxoplasmosis and cockroaches either (and pretty much all houses here have a few)

redundant Thu 14-Jul-11 10:04:24

thank you everyone - you are very kind and making me feel a bit better.

Man out to treat tomorrow, even though the traps haven't caught any (but I have seen them).

Have completely emptied kitchen - bought a million plastic storage boxes and all food and crockery is in those, sealed. Friend is away from tonight till Monday so going to stay at hers - DD1 thinks that's exciting!

Didn't know about the water - that's a good tip.

Still feel a bit confused about the toxo thing, but off to docs shortly.

not exactly the state I wanted the house to be in before I pop, but hey ho...
thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now