Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

muslin cloths

(22 Posts)
laracroft2001 Wed 13-Jul-11 09:45:55

please help as i am absolutely clueless. Everything i read and everyone i speak to keeps telling me to make sure I am stocked up on muslin cloths.

Can someone PLEEEAASSSEEE tell me what I need them for and if I really do need them. Myself and the OH are completely clueless!! (firsttimers!!)

thanks!!

fatbottomgirl Wed 13-Jul-11 09:49:44

I am currently expecting DC4 and have never understood the need for them????confused.

Firawla Wed 13-Jul-11 09:50:31

they are mainly for catching or wiping up puke.. but I don't think you necessarily need as many as people make out

mosschops30 Wed 13-Jul-11 09:52:27

Ive got 3 dcs and i never used them with any of mine, i dont really get them

chimchar Wed 13-Jul-11 09:56:22

i have 3dc and also have never really understood the proper use for them!

i bought some "pretty" ones (with patterns/stars etc on, not white ones, and have used them over the years for loads of things... my ds1 loved his and it ended up being his comfort blanket until he was about 5 or so....but because we had loads, i was able to sneakily swap them for washing.

they are handy to take out as a tiny, very light cover (instead of a blanket on a hot day) i have used them over the buggy as a sort of impromtu sunshade, as a cover over a nappy changing mat if out and about, just for all sorts really.

you don't need loads...in fact, you probably don't really need any, but i did find them handy.

now my dad has them to polish up his car. grin

GiraffeAHolic Wed 13-Jul-11 09:57:00

They're just handy to stuff in your bag/pocket for mopping up sick, wiping noses, impromptu bib, covering up while bfing, some babies like to cuddle up to them too.

QueenCee Wed 13-Jul-11 09:58:39

I used them all the time!! Used loads a day. I guess it depends how sicky your baby is. DD was quite pukey after she fed and as she was BF she fed alot... Therefore alot of sick.... Therefore many times we used a muslin! There was often a cry of "muslin!!" coming from somewhere in the house from whoever was holding DD! when she was really young I'd use up to 10 a day, seriously. We couldn't have lived without them.

Cattleprod Wed 13-Jul-11 10:00:47

They are used for...

Wiping up sick, snot, dribble etc
Shading baby/modesty while breastfeeding
Improvised sunhat (knotted corners, grandad-style)
Changing mat on grass, slightly dirty floor etc.
Wiping up drink and food spillages
Bib
Playing games (boo! etc)
Covering willy when changing baby boys nappies
Etc etc......

I had loads. You'll be able to get away with fewer, but will have to do the washing more frequently.

supadupapupascupa Wed 13-Jul-11 10:01:34

we used them a lot! ds is nearly 2 now and i still use them as bibs. they are just bits of cloth that can get filthy and stained and wash easily. much cheaper than fancy bibs

laracroft2001 Wed 13-Jul-11 10:03:46

ok brilliant that clears it up thank you!!

mumblebum Wed 13-Jul-11 10:07:59

I used them a lot. Mopping up milky dribbles when feeding both BF dd and FF Ds. Maybe mine were just messy eaters though. Also for mopping up sick, mostly dd. Ds at 4 still uses them as comforters. Handy having plenty so he can always have a clean one. Draped on pram as temp sunshade, lightweight blanket, bib, hanky.

Maybe just get a few and see if you use them. You can always get more if you do, but clearly not everyone does.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Wed 13-Jul-11 10:08:14

As cattleprod said - they can be really useful. DD took to hers as a comforter and that's useful as she never attached to anything 'one of a kind' that could get lost or never be washed! Some children don't though and some mums don't find a use for them. I'd suggest buy one cheap packet (they tend to come in 3s or 6s - Asda do them nicely cheaply!) for the labour bag and if you just find you're not using them, wash them and bung them on freecycle. Or I'll buy them from you grin

IssyStark Wed 13-Jul-11 15:58:30

We used them a lot. It was useful to have several all over the house so there was always one to hand. Useful for all the things cattleprod said, plus puttin karvol on and hanging above the bed when they have colds and even improvised nappy when you get caught short when out (although this was only the once!).

You can pick them up at NCT sales or ebay for v. little money

ksaunders Wed 13-Jul-11 16:34:51

I bought loads when pregnant with ds and barely used them. I used to take one with me wherever I went but he wasn't a pukey baby.

Cyclebump Wed 13-Jul-11 16:40:18

I use them for everything already mentioned and more.

I bought 12 while pregnant and now have 24 dotted about as DS is an incredibly sicky baby and we go through several a day. Not everyone needs as many as we have though.

We also have some fab Aden and Anais really big muslins that I use for loads, they make great light blankets when folded and cover the whole pram if I need a sunshade.

breatheslowly Wed 13-Jul-11 17:42:45

DD uses hers as a comforter - if you hand her one then her thumb goes straight in her mouth. It is really useful at nap time. We also had some giant ones for swaddling.

Eviepoo Thu 14-Jul-11 20:11:14

I've got quite a few - but I plan to use them as newborn cloth nappies (once you get used to the folds it's really simple and much less bulk that terries or the one size birth to potty ones I have for when baby is just that little bit bigger).

I also plan to use them for discreet BF - like I did with DD

HumptyDumpty1 Thu 14-Jul-11 20:15:20

I bought loads, never used them..although they do make useful dusters! grin

wigglesrock Thu 14-Jul-11 20:25:41

I've always used them, currently on dd3. Use them for wiping up wee, sick, upchuck, instead of bibs, handy when putting baby in supermarket trolley bucket seat, lie baby on them, use as light blanket, dd3 uses them as a comforter. Very, very handy if you have a sicky baby, you can put one down on top of moses basket/cot sheet and then you don't have to change sheet if baby is sick. Dd3 has also taken to chewing hers. We got great ones from Ikea.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 14-Jul-11 20:29:50

Used for all of the above

Plus once they're eating solids, I wet one and use it as a flannel to clean up. Even now dd is 4, she still gets her hands and face wiped with a wet muslin after a messy meal smile. Much cheaper than using loads of wipes

cowboylover Thu 14-Jul-11 22:42:37

I didnt think I would use them but I do alot, shes not a sicky baby at all but good for spills, dribbles when she trys to take to much milk ect when BF but I dont use bibs at all so I dont know if that makes a differentce?

My fav use is as an extra layer over sheets in her bed in case of accidents and under my sometimes leaky boobs at night as I cant handle top/pads in bed.

Maybe worth getting a cheap Asda 3 pack or similar and seeing how you get on.

marthamay Fri 15-Jul-11 19:39:53

I use them for all of the above too.

The key usefulness of muslins is that they wash and dry very quickly because they are so thin - you can fit loads of them in the machine at once and they dry very quickly. If you start using thicker cloths for all the puke/poo/wee/dribble/snot incidents you will spend your life surrounded with half-dry cloths!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now