Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Second labour likely to be like the first?

(9 Posts)
vvviola Wed 13-Jul-11 09:06:46

I'm 32+5 on my second DC. DD was born at 36+5 after my waters broke. Labour was quite fast - 0cm to delivery in less than 4 hours.

I'm wondering if people who have had more than one DC found that their labours were similar (from point of view of at what gestation, how it started and length of labour).

Part of the reason I'm asking is that since I woke up this morning I've had strange pains - that feel a little like indigestion - across the top of my bump. I remember having very similar pains the day my waters broke on DD. Obviously 32+5 is very early, and I'm hoping that it's just a coincidence. But some anec-data would be nice, at the very least to either tell me to get a grip, or let me know I should at least warn our emergency childcare people that they may be needed...

Thirstysomething Wed 13-Jul-11 13:53:51

mine were identical... unfortunately. four hours, lucky you!
I think there is some theory that if you were fast the first time you are only likely to get faster.
My mother-in-law had her first child comfortably in hospital, just managed to get there for her second, had her third in the corridor seconds after arrival and my husband, the fourth, was born on the road... after which her doctor told her not to have any more babies!
Good luck - hope things have calmed down.
x

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 13:57:25

My DD was born at 39+1 in 2 hours 5 minutes was pushing within 15 mins of arriving at hospital.
My DS started quickly at 36+3 and I arrived pushing however he was brow and couldn't get past pushing stage he was born by EMCS 3 hours and 45 minutes after arrival.

mistressploppy Wed 13-Jul-11 13:59:09

Marking place - was wondering this myself.

First birth was very similar to you, OP - DS was born at 36+4, took 2hrs 20mins from waters breaking (at work hmm) to delivery. They actually said to me in hospital that if I had another one I should consider home birth (the very idea terrifies me so I'm planning hospital again for this one, just hope I get there in time!)

Nice name btw - do you play?

mosschops30 Wed 13-Jul-11 14:01:32

All 3 labours werecompleyely different

Dd spontaneous labour 25 hours vaginal delivery
Ds1 induced blissful 6 hour labour vaginal delivery
Ds2 induced 12 hours non progressive labour ended with emcs

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Jul-11 14:04:16

completely different

DS was born on his due date after 72 hours, that's with a show and definite, but mild contractions, midwife said I was 3cms dilated about 3 hours into that... and about, 10 minutes pushing

DD was 10 days late, woke up at 5 am with fairly full on contractions, she was born 5 and a half hours later, didn't push at all, lol

effingwotnots Wed 13-Jul-11 14:05:35

Mine were all fairly different:

1= induced at 42+2, 8 hours very hard work pushing..

2= arrived after a sweep at 41+3, 1hr 38 start to finish brilliant in every way!

3= waters broke at 37 weeks shock induced 3 days later, 52 second 2nd stage, great stuff!! (he was back to back too which gave the pain that....edge)

Good luck!

lovesicecream Wed 13-Jul-11 15:44:14

1st 20 hours, he was a big baby 11lb 2 I was induced

2nd born at 35 weeks after premature rupture of membranes labour 45 mins he weighed 5 lb 15

3rd born at 32 weeks by emc due to premature rupture of membranes and cord prolapse as he was transverse he was 4lb 4, spent 4 days in nicu due to bad jaundice then 6 days on the ward until he could control his temp.

If I was you I'd ring the labour ward and just explain to them about the pain being similar to last time, how fast your labour was etc and see what they say

vvviola Fri 15-Jul-11 09:56:53

Well... some different and some similar, that didn't help a lot grin! Seriously though, thanks everyone. Interesting to hear the different stories - and interesting that there are at least a few 'early arrivals' following on from previous early arrivals

The pains disappeared and nothing else happened, so other than pretty rotten braxton hicks, there's nothing happening here. Which is a bit of a relief. While I don't want to go overdue if I can help it, I wasn't keen on the idea of a very early arrival!

lovesicecream I'll admit to being wary about calling the labour ward here - my language skills (I'm in Belgium) aren't really up to, and they have a tendency to bring you in and throw prescriptions at you (so the locals tell me), if you are in any way uncomfortable. As it was, by the time I'd looked up the numbers and got my dictionary out, it was all back to normal!

mistressploppy At work? Your waters broke *at work*? shock I'm not sure I could handle the idea of that! grin. Especially knowing my luck, the only person on my floor at the time would be the young male secretarial staff member who I don't get on with! (And yes, I did play viola, once upon a time, but gave it up once I realised I'd never get past a certain - pretty low standard - point. I still have dreams of picking it up again one day, and suddenly developing some talent!)

Thanks again everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now