Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had the anti d? and did you have it early due to bleeding?

(13 Posts)
pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 00:45:46

I have had bleeding thoughout pregnacy I am now 17 weeks this week.

I saw midwife today she said I need to have anti d at later stage in pregnancy but if I have bleeding again as its after 16 weeks will need it there and then. I said cant I have it anyway she said I only need it if I bleed again.

Panicing now thinking I need the early injection.

Any else had bleeding and not had the anti d till later in pregnancy?

Primafacie Wed 13-Jul-11 02:18:46

I had bleeding and was given regular shots of anti d from 12 weeks, not 16. I don't think all midwives know enough about the need for anti d shots following bleeding. I would go back and ask for a second opinion. The anti d stays in your system for 4 to 6 weeks so if you carry on bleeding you should have repeats. Have they found what is causing the bleed?

SoloAgainItSeems Wed 13-Jul-11 03:46:22

I bled at 7 weeks with Dd and wasn't given or even offered the anti d (2006). I just had it at the usual times (which I can't remember), but I know things change over the years...with Ds, I didn't have one at all; they just didn't do it back then (1998).

Hope all is well.

Primafacie Wed 13-Jul-11 06:38:56

Solo, you should have it if you bleed after 12 weeks, not before.

BumperlicicusTotalus Wed 13-Jul-11 07:40:45

I bled at 7 weeks and had anti-d early.

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 13:30:23

I bled 5 weeks 11 and 13 and was never offered it I hope they dont do this just to save money as my mum whos resus negative had the injection early. Thanks for replies I might get a second opinion.

Primafacie every time I have had bleeding gone in for a scan and they have said its not coming from the baby. When bled always been bright red blood for about 2 days. The hospital said if it happens again I need to go into hospital while its happening so they can have a look where the blood is coming from. Last bleed was 13 weeks Im 17 weeks this week.x

Primafacie Wed 13-Jul-11 14:07:15

That sounds similar to what I had. It turns out it was a marginal subchorionic hematoma, ie the edge of the placenta was shedding and bleeding. I was signed off work from 12 weeks, the bleeding continued until 21 weeks and my baby was born at 34 weeks. Premature birth is very common when you have this condition. Please take it easy and look after yourself. Good luck with the pregnancy.

milkyways Wed 13-Jul-11 14:23:41

I was given the injection twice during pregnancy with my DD and then once at birth. I've also been given it when I have miscarried at hospital after an ERPC and medical management. I was around 11 and 9 weeks when I had the anti-D after my miscarriages.

I think it matters more about where the bleed is coming from. If it is internal bleeding then the anti-D must definitely be administered as the baby's blood could mix with the mothers and this could lead to sensitisation. If the bleed is from the cervix, then it is not internal and mixing of bloods cannot occur, and if the doctors are 100% sure that the bleed is external then there isn't really a need for anti-D.

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 19:43:35

premafacie you had the baby 2 months early? Was everything ok?

Will have to see what and where the bleeding is or is caused by if it happens again.

Milkyways thats reasurring having a panic Im doing something wrong by not having the injection early. Sorry about your miscarragesxx

Primafacie Wed 13-Jul-11 19:53:55

Yes, he was absolutely fine except for being very jaundiced. I did not mean to worry you, it is just that I wish I had received more info when it was happening to me. I had to fight to have a care plan put in place and to get consultant care. All was fine in the end, but there was a lot of worry along the way.

Faggotsnpeas Wed 13-Jul-11 19:58:50

I had an early anti D at about 16 weeks due to very minor bleed, couldn't work out what caused it, turned out it was from straining!!! sorry if tmi!!!

Thirstysomething Wed 13-Jul-11 22:07:20

I am 17 weeks too -- had a bleed before 12 weeks and wasn't offered anti-d.
Now worrying that i should have mentioned I was R- Forgot all about it.
Good luck pregnantmimi, really hoping all is fine.

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 22:17:14

Stangely I was offered the injection when I was in tunisa when I bled at 5 weeks but didnt want to have anything abroad so asked when got home and was told didnt need anything. Also I spoke to a friend she is resus negative and had injection in first trimester her little boy is 6 so thinking the rules must have changed recenty. Thirstysomething according to my midwife the injection not offered till after 16 weeks so might have not given you injection at 12 weeks. Im a bit confused I might just pop doctors in the morning and speak to a doctor there about it that I like hes very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now