Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

heartburn

(12 Posts)
olajo Tue 12-Jul-11 15:23:26

Does anyone have any home remedy for it. Mine is getting out of controll and I am 35 weeks gone.Not only I cant sleep from SPD but also feel like spitting my insides every night.I dont drink milk as per intolerance and I hate rennies.

coastgirl Tue 12-Jul-11 15:25:27

Get some liquid Gaviscon from the GP - free on prescription.

KittyChat Tue 12-Jul-11 16:20:52

The only thing that worked for me was a prescription of omaprazole from the GP. Take once a day and it disappears completely.

Sorry ... that's not a home remedy! But I found absolutely nothing else worked for me, could not stand the pain.

nannyl Tue 12-Jul-11 18:13:43

Love hearts (or refreshers)

I swear by them... they really DO work and are much nicer than rennies smile

I also take Gaviscon (free from GP) at night

MissTriangle Tue 12-Jul-11 18:56:08

I have heard lime works - been drinking lime cordial for past few days and haven't had any since ... Could be pot luck, but worth a go. Lime and soda anyone? X

Folicacid Tue 12-Jul-11 18:58:21

Oooft lime makes mine worse. I've had to knock lime and soda on the head for that very reason!

I'm struggling too so ot sure can help too much as I've been doing milk and peptac but it's not taking it completely away.

I find avoiding lots of bread and eating regularly helps.

lizandlulu Tue 12-Jul-11 20:44:53

strawberry gaviscon tablets are working for me, they arent that bad, abit like out of date sweetsgrin

CBear6 Tue 12-Jul-11 20:53:02

Gaviscon by the bucketload when it's bad, a glass of cold milk when it's mild.

Try to keep track of what foods make it worse and avoid them if you can - garlic, citrus, and tomatoes make mine worse.

Sleep on your left side as much as possible because this puts the opening of your stomach lower than your oesophagus, gravity keeps the acid from seeping up (in theory). Don't lie flat either, prop yourself up with pillows so your upper torso is slightly elevated, it's that gravity thing again (in theory, again).

Avoid eating too close to bedtime, I go to bed around 11:30/12ish and I find that anything to eat after roughly 8pm equals heartburn when I get to bed.

I get awful heartburn, I did with DS too, and it's no fun.

Jojo1983 Tue 12-Jul-11 20:54:02

I agree with nannyl I have been eating love hearts but the bucket loads! Not only does it help my heartburn but also helps me with my sweet tooth!

CrumblyMumbly Tue 12-Jul-11 21:24:20

Poor you and for the SPD too (sorry turned into a rhyme, which makes it sound light hearted!). I found my heartburn got a lot better after I stopped drinking any fruit juice - especially orange - the magic Zantac (ranitidine) also helped. You're on the home stretch now, hang in there smile

verylittlecarrot Tue 12-Jul-11 21:28:37

I second omeprazole (Losec). Prescribed for me by GP who I now worship for the relief he brought.

It
Is
Magic

Safe in pregnancy (in fact prescribed to babies too I believe). Can't tell you how amazingly it worked for me.

But not a home remedy.

olajo Wed 13-Jul-11 07:40:24

Thanks for all the advice. I will give lovehearts a go if not working I am off to my GP I feel like dying every night and it has been like that for weeks now.Its official I had the worst pregnancy ever smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now