Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could this be the symptoms of something bad?

(9 Posts)
SoBroken Tue 12-Jul-11 10:46:36

Basically, on Friday, I felt fine. (Am 32 Weeks). On Saturday, I went to town with DH and I just couldn't breathe. We had to keep stopping and sitting down, and I got so breathless my fingertips were numb.

Sunday i didn't feel much better, okay when I woke up, but every time I tried to do anything I had to keep sitting down. I got so breathless I fainted, but after a bit of a nap I was okay again.

DH went back to work Mon so I am here with DS1 feeling crap. Exhausted, breathless, a bit sick and faint. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Is this something I should call the midwife/doctor about or is it just because baby is getting big and it's just 3rd trimester stuff?

Please help!

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 12-Jul-11 10:49:15

Always worth giving the midwife a call, just to check. Have you had your iron levels checked recently ? Sounds like you could be anaemic. I also found myself getting very breathless and lightheaded in the 3rd trimester just from getting bigger and the bump pushing higher iyswim.

Milkybrew Tue 12-Jul-11 10:50:54

Call your midwife, she won't mind and will be able to advise you. My friend had similar and it was due to really low iron levels.

mumatron Tue 12-Jul-11 10:51:37

Definitely get some advice from your mw. Hopefully it's nothing but better to be safe than sorry.

Catsycat Tue 12-Jul-11 11:27:57

Like Tilly said, it could anaemia, or the baby getting bigger and squashing your lungs, so they have less capacity. Definitely check it out with either the GP or MW ASAP, as actually fainting and having numb fingers sound quite extreme. Poor you, you sound so uncomfortable.

Have you had a cold or hayfever lately? Being pg can make you react worse to this kind of thing. My (usually extremely mild) asthma got worse in both pregnancies. I did end up having a cold that went onto my chest with DD2, and I needed to get treatment for that from the GP, also had to have a chest x-ray (which was absolutely safe BTW, DD2 is fine!!!).

Hope you're doing OK, and get it sorted soon. x

nicolamumof3 Tue 12-Jul-11 11:41:24

i've had this too, my iron and bp levels all been fine thoroughout. Just one of those things. Don't think the muggy weather helped much either. Im 39+3 now.

icravecheese Tue 12-Jul-11 11:53:31

I had this late on during my 1st & 2nd pregs, and this 3rd preg (26wks) have been having breathlessness, feeling faint & abit sicky all the way through (although iron levels appear fine, but re-test at 28wk appt I think).

I often have to sit down on a chair by the lift in M&S with all the old ladies, fainted in M&S coffee shop at 15wks (ooh, I seem to visit M&S alot don't I?!!) & often have to just sit on benches when shopping in town, much to my 2yr old & 4yr olds annoyance!!

If possible (easier said than done with DS1 to look after), take it really easy. I find an afternoon sat on the sofa watching DVDs with the kids usually sorts me out for a few days. Alternatively, babe could have moved into a different position & be squashing a nerve (numb fingers) or blood supply to your head, hence making you feel faint / breathless. Have you had your 28wk iron levels results back yet? If not, prob worth chasing as, like everyone has said above, you could be anaemic.

KatyCustard Tue 12-Jul-11 13:36:35

I had this but much earlier on in my pregnancy. It may not be iron - when I got it checked out it turned out my blood pressure was dropping when I was up and moving around, causing nausia, dizziness, etc. I'd definately get it checked out though.

SoBroken Tue 12-Jul-11 17:23:51

Thanks for all your replies.

My iron levels were fine at 28wk tests, and I had my BP checked last week when I went in for monitoring and all was fine there too.

I'll call the community midwife tomorrow if I don't feel any better, might be easier to arrange lifts to the docs/babysitters for DS etc then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now