Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Terrible backache at 22 weeks

(8 Posts)
mashpot Tue 12-Jul-11 06:08:05

Hello, I have had backache on and off for a while since being pregnant, way before I had a bump, but it's pretty constant now at 22 weeks. I sit at a desk all day which isn't helping but it's now at the point I'm even waking up in the morning with bad backache so it's constant all day.

Does anyone have any advice on sorting this out, I don't want it to continue getting worse, or should I go to the GP, will the docs help?

Thanks.

MrsVidic Tue 12-Jul-11 07:21:44

I would go to the GP- I'd also make sure your stretching every day before you go to bed and after you wake up. Try sleeping with a pillow between your legs and check out your position at the office. Dont sit still for more than 30 mins before going for a walk about (this shouldnt be hard in a few months as youll be going to the toilet!)

BubbaSnuff Tue 12-Jul-11 07:38:47

Hia, u could try a maternity support band/belt, has really helped my backache (really noticed it yesterday as band in wash!) smile

soundofherwings Tue 12-Jul-11 10:36:24

Mine was like this- I had backache from early on and between 18 and 24 weeks I was spending every evening leaning on a hot water bottle as my back was so sore. But at 29 weeks it has now gone! It only gets a bit achey after sitting for too long, and even then it's not too bad. So there is hope, it might not carry on getting worse.

silverangel Tue 12-Jul-11 13:08:01

Go to the doctor and a referral to a physio - I have had really really bad backache for the last four weeks - had to get signed off work as literally couldn't walk. GP was rubbish, prescribed some gel that didn't work, went back they said there was nothing htey could do, went back again and got a referral (had to go private as would have had to wait an age for an appt), anyway one session later and have got a support band which has made a HUGE difference after only two days and she has taought me some pilates bsaed exercises to try to stabilise the pelvis. Mine is low back pain (sacro illiac) so not spd / pgp but still worth the physio visit just to get reccomended the belt, it was £40 but well well worth it. She also said, that realistically it is only going to got worse before delivery. I'm 28+3 now (twins).

mashpot Tue 12-Jul-11 21:43:51

Thanks all for advice. I do try to sleep with the pillow between my legs but wake up with it at the bottom of the bed! I ordered a pilates DVD today so will give that a go and then maybe try physio. And hope that it eases off like sound

helsbels999 Wed 13-Jul-11 21:40:50

i had backache come on at 18weeks - booked to see the osteo (private but within 3 days of deciding to stop just putting up with it!) couple of clicks in my back and she declared she had freed my sacral illiac joint up - it was a HUGE amount better as i walked out the treatment room - within 3 days no soreness either and back ache disappeared.

it did cost me £38 for the pleasure though - but for me worth every penny...

mashpot Wed 13-Jul-11 22:17:07

That's less expensive than I would've thought hels - you're not in London are you? Would love details of where you went if so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now