Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question about daring to stop taking your anti-nausea meds

(11 Posts)
BellaCB Mon 11-Jul-11 18:53:01

I've been suffering from terrible 'morning' sickness and have been on one form of anti-nausea meds or another for about two months now. However - thank God - I am nearly 13w now it is is starting to abate quite a bit. I've only been sick once a day the past few days, and I can even contemplate food!

Obv I'm not going to rush to get off the meds, but I just wondered when other people started to feel well enough to come off them, or if anyone has any advice on how long to keep taking the meds even when I am feeling better? The last thing I want is to regress, but I also don't want to be taking tablets when I'm technically well enough to cope without them?

Diege Mon 11-Jul-11 19:17:01

Hi Bella smile. I was on meds from 5 weeks with this pregnancy and finally took the plunge to stop at about 14 weeks. I was on cyclizine, 2 tabs a day, and stopped the morning dose first (always felt worse pm). I don't think there's any shame in carrying them on for as long as you feel you need them - I had a ridiculously mean repeat prescription which meant I had to request a repeat 3/4 days after picking up my last one hmm, which was incentive enough to cut back. I'm 23 weeks now and have the last 6 stashed for emergencies wink
One thing I would say is that don't expect to feel wonderful when you stop them. In my experience of 3 hyperemesis pregnancies, even when you feel well enough to stop, you might not feel great instantly, but gradually the nausea should reduce. Good luck!!

theonlyhb2 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:33:12

i would stick with them! Its a mistake to start cutting back after a few good days. I think all us HG suffers have made that mistake (or to try and do normal people things then get a bad relapse for days after)

Boosaphena Mon 11-Jul-11 20:14:14

I agree. Don't rush anything. I'm on cyclizine was on 3xday then reduced to morning and evening. When I stopped physically being sick I tried to reduce and felt terrible and everything returned. I eventually have got it down to 1 a day but tried stopping that on Friday cue puking all day and regressing over the weekend. I'm now going to keep taking it and just enjoy feeling 'well' for a while. I would say continue until you are properly feeling better, are eating, drinking and able to relax then leave it a couple of wks and think about it.
I'm 27 weeks btw!

Mole007 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:25:38

I've been on ondansatron all the way through (and just 2 weeks to go now!). Every now and then I have tried stopping, but the vomitting has been back full force within 18 hrs, and then it has taken a couple of days to get it back under control. I woudl echo those who say don't rush it!

MorelliOrRanger Mon 11-Jul-11 20:28:55

Sorry ladies to crash your thread. I've posted about this.

When did you start getting morning sickness?

Thanks

AmberLeaf Mon 11-Jul-11 20:33:52

I was on Metoclopramide from about 6 weeks in. I think I stopped taking it at about 4-5 months in.

MorelliOrRanger Mine usually starts at about 6-7 weeks.

Mole007 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:01:58

MollieOrRanger, I started before 5 weeks and was hospitalised by 8 (Really exciting Christmes and New Year on a drip sad)!

BellaCB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:46:36

OK, so basically don't stop taking them until I've felt well for about a month? wink. That's a bit annoying as I'm sure they're making me tired etc., but the last thing I think I could cope with is a relapse so I shall just keep on taking them! Thanks all

AmberLeaf Tue 12-Jul-11 17:46:03

Hope you feel better soon Bella!

nannyl Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:03

I started mine at 7 weeks ish, when i was diagnosed HG and 48 hours later was hospitalised
i managed to reduce mine from 3 a day to 2 a day at around 16 / 17 weeks i think.

I keep trying to get down to 1 a day but i get much sicker quite quickly.
My record was 9 days doing 2 tablets in 36 hours, but as well as increasing my sickness, by day 9 i was in bed feeling ill with it aswell.
(when i dropped to 1 a day i never lasted longer than 3 days)

That must have been around 27 / 28 weeks ish.

I am back on 2 a day, but now im in the 3rd trimester my sickness has come back and today i was sick after lunch as well which hasnt happened for ages. sad
I went to a wedding at the weekend and went back to 3 that day as i couldnt cope with being sick.
Every time i try to take less than 2 a day i go down hill fast, so i think ill just keep 2 a day until i give birth (unless my sickness magically goes away again)

Im currently 31 and a bit weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now