Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Question about daring to stop taking your anti-nausea meds

(11 Posts)
BellaCB Mon 11-Jul-11 18:53:01

I've been suffering from terrible 'morning' sickness and have been on one form of anti-nausea meds or another for about two months now. However - thank God - I am nearly 13w now it is is starting to abate quite a bit. I've only been sick once a day the past few days, and I can even contemplate food!

Obv I'm not going to rush to get off the meds, but I just wondered when other people started to feel well enough to come off them, or if anyone has any advice on how long to keep taking the meds even when I am feeling better? The last thing I want is to regress, but I also don't want to be taking tablets when I'm technically well enough to cope without them?

Diege Mon 11-Jul-11 19:17:01

Hi Bella smile. I was on meds from 5 weeks with this pregnancy and finally took the plunge to stop at about 14 weeks. I was on cyclizine, 2 tabs a day, and stopped the morning dose first (always felt worse pm). I don't think there's any shame in carrying them on for as long as you feel you need them - I had a ridiculously mean repeat prescription which meant I had to request a repeat 3/4 days after picking up my last one hmm, which was incentive enough to cut back. I'm 23 weeks now and have the last 6 stashed for emergencies wink
One thing I would say is that don't expect to feel wonderful when you stop them. In my experience of 3 hyperemesis pregnancies, even when you feel well enough to stop, you might not feel great instantly, but gradually the nausea should reduce. Good luck!!

theonlyhb2 Mon 11-Jul-11 19:33:12

i would stick with them! Its a mistake to start cutting back after a few good days. I think all us HG suffers have made that mistake (or to try and do normal people things then get a bad relapse for days after)

Boosaphena Mon 11-Jul-11 20:14:14

I agree. Don't rush anything. I'm on cyclizine was on 3xday then reduced to morning and evening. When I stopped physically being sick I tried to reduce and felt terrible and everything returned. I eventually have got it down to 1 a day but tried stopping that on Friday cue puking all day and regressing over the weekend. I'm now going to keep taking it and just enjoy feeling 'well' for a while. I would say continue until you are properly feeling better, are eating, drinking and able to relax then leave it a couple of wks and think about it.
I'm 27 weeks btw!

Mole007 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:25:38

I've been on ondansatron all the way through (and just 2 weeks to go now!). Every now and then I have tried stopping, but the vomitting has been back full force within 18 hrs, and then it has taken a couple of days to get it back under control. I woudl echo those who say don't rush it!

MorelliOrRanger Mon 11-Jul-11 20:28:55

Sorry ladies to crash your thread. I've posted about this.

When did you start getting morning sickness?

Thanks

AmberLeaf Mon 11-Jul-11 20:33:52

I was on Metoclopramide from about 6 weeks in. I think I stopped taking it at about 4-5 months in.

MorelliOrRanger Mine usually starts at about 6-7 weeks.

Mole007 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:01:58

MollieOrRanger, I started before 5 weeks and was hospitalised by 8 (Really exciting Christmes and New Year on a drip sad)!

BellaCB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:46:36

OK, so basically don't stop taking them until I've felt well for about a month? wink. That's a bit annoying as I'm sure they're making me tired etc., but the last thing I think I could cope with is a relapse so I shall just keep on taking them! Thanks all

AmberLeaf Tue 12-Jul-11 17:46:03

Hope you feel better soon Bella!

nannyl Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:03

I started mine at 7 weeks ish, when i was diagnosed HG and 48 hours later was hospitalised
i managed to reduce mine from 3 a day to 2 a day at around 16 / 17 weeks i think.

I keep trying to get down to 1 a day but i get much sicker quite quickly.
My record was 9 days doing 2 tablets in 36 hours, but as well as increasing my sickness, by day 9 i was in bed feeling ill with it aswell.
(when i dropped to 1 a day i never lasted longer than 3 days)

That must have been around 27 / 28 weeks ish.

I am back on 2 a day, but now im in the 3rd trimester my sickness has come back and today i was sick after lunch as well which hasnt happened for ages. sad
I went to a wedding at the weekend and went back to 3 that day as i couldnt cope with being sick.
Every time i try to take less than 2 a day i go down hill fast, so i think ill just keep 2 a day until i give birth (unless my sickness magically goes away again)

Im currently 31 and a bit weeks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: