Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone heard of amber teething bracelet?

(33 Posts)
SianRJ Mon 11-Jul-11 13:32:24

Hi iv heard/seen a few people talk about amber teething bracelet/anklet, was just seeing what these are exactly and how they work? Thankyou smile

AKMD Mon 11-Jul-11 13:41:59

I've seen them around. They look like a choking and strangulation hazard to me but if you're into complementary therapies it might be your thing.

SenoritaViva Mon 11-Jul-11 15:15:47

Yes I've known lots of people use them and they say it seems to help work, I remain somewhat cynical and stuck to Calpol when really bad and also some homeopathic stuff that really helped. I'd also be concerned about the strangulation problems but I am sure you can get safety ones. Think I'd prefer a bracelet on the ankle or something but that's just me.

KirstyJC Mon 11-Jul-11 15:19:09

I have got an amber necklace for DS3. It isn't to be worn when sleeping so shouldn't be a choking hazard. Not sure if it works but since we had a terrible time with DS2 teething I figured it has to be worth a try! Looks cute, too.

There are knots in between each bead, so if it breaks then they won't all fall off and cause a problem/hazard.

If you google it there are loads of websites selling them and also giving details of how they are supposed to work - I got mine from incensed.me and was really pleased with it.

SenoritaViva Mon 11-Jul-11 15:26:32

Just remembered what most of the feedback is...

Don't know if it's working but don't want to take it off, just in case it is.

Fair enough. Personally i don't think they look all that cute (sorry) but if they help then they help and that's that.

candr Mon 11-Jul-11 18:46:43

My Aussie rellies swear by them and have seen them work myself. I have one ready for mine and buy them as gifts for people. They are very light weigh and it is unlikely a child coulld swallow the beads.

MamaChoo Mon 11-Jul-11 18:48:41

Right! Now i don't need to ask the scary nanny at playgroup whatup with the hippy necklaces. Thanks!

Penelope1980 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:02:43

They are really popular in New Zealand although their merits are hotly debated. One of the mainstream news stations did an article on them last year about why they are a safety hazard, but you'll see from the comments that a lot of people still swear by them

www.3news.co.nz/Teething-necklaces-dangerous---sceptics/tabid/423/articleID/160820/Default.aspx

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Tue 12-Jul-11 09:06:59

God only knows whether it works, DD was having a mega teething session recently and I suddenly remembered we had a necklace - found it in a drawer, put it on and she was much better soon after. However, that could be down to the Calpol, or the Ashton and Parsons teething powder we dosed her up with at the same time! Anyway we've kept it on her since.

supergreenuk Tue 12-Jul-11 09:09:27

Hate seeing little boys wearing them. There are many things in this world that seem bizarre but I can't get my head round how wearing stones can help.

stuffthenonsense Tue 12-Jul-11 11:50:49

They work by releasing a natural analgesic into the skin at body temperature. They work on many aches and pains, not just teething. I wear a bracelet myself and feel the difference and I was very sceptical. My DD wears a neclace during the day and an anklet at night. I haven't used calpol since we bought them!
Because they reach body temperature alnost immediately baby doesn't notice it is there. My DD has never played with hers. The beads are individually knotted so you will never lose more than one bead and they are very small, about the size of a stunted raisin.
They are no more of a strangulation risk than a bib and many mums leave bibs on their drooly babies.

nicolamumof3 Tue 12-Jul-11 14:35:08

why shouldn't boys were them?! I am still amazed by attitudes like this shock and find them bizarre tbh.

supergreenuk Tue 12-Jul-11 15:03:28

I didn't say they shouldn't wear them. I was expressing an opionin that I didnt like boys in them. In my opinion it looks strange. They are not exactly masculine looking are they? IMO.

RitaMorgan Tue 12-Jul-11 15:08:54

Of course they don't work grin Unless they have magic powers so far undiscovered by science.

If you're into magic/woo though they're probably just your thing.

CalmInsomniac Tue 12-Jul-11 15:09:50

My DD was a nightmare with teething, red swollen gums and crying all the time for weeks without them coming through, pouring calpol down her neck all the time, I was at my wits end.
I got a hocus pocus amber necklace because I got to the stage where I would try anything.
Since she's had her amber necklace she's cut 5 teeth without any symptoms (going off her food, waking in the night, crying, fever), and 4 of these were her first molars so big ones. I think I've given her calpol 3 times since she's had the necklace on. I'm a convert grin

bruffin Tue 12-Jul-11 15:11:34

stuffthenonsense - to release the analgysic in them the amber has to be heated up to over 200 degrees, which would do more harm than good. Sorry but a bead is also a chocking hazaard so wouldn't use one on a baby.

CalmInsomniac Tue 12-Jul-11 15:12:10

Oh BTW amber apparently contains succinic acid see here, a biologically active chemical which is absorbed through the skin. It's not just a magic "aura" or whatever.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 12-Jul-11 15:15:52

as a previous poster said, you need to hear the amber to well over 200 degrees to release succinic acid - but they do look cute...

RitaMorgan Tue 12-Jul-11 15:18:53

If amber necklaces really did release succinic acid into a baby's bloodstream they would have to be rigourously tested and approved for safety. It just doesn't happen, but it's a nice idea.

CalmInsomniac Tue 12-Jul-11 16:52:54

Oh well, maybe it just has a "woo" aura then grin

ozsavers Wed 27-Jun-12 07:30:13

You can try looking at this site.http://ozsavers.com.au/10-baby-amber-teething-necklaces

TinkerMaloo Wed 27-Jun-12 08:17:44

I am not normally one to go with all the "stones have properties" thing, but on recommendation from a friend I bought one for my DD at 6 months when she was having awful trouble with teeth and it has been amazing! Cutting eye teeth and molars with no problems at all smile

She wears it all the time and loves it. My DP suggested she could strangle herself while wearing it, but as she is not a cat and doesnt climb trees etc then I cant see it happening myself...

ozsavers Wed 27-Jun-12 08:28:35

Yes I knew it and it says it works. My aunt tried this and it worked wonders with her baby: http://ozsavers.com.au/10-baby-amber-teething-necklaces

afygienaj Wed 15-Feb-17 23:04:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

afygienaj Wed 15-Feb-17 23:06:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: