Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mattress question. How many!?!

(7 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Mon 11-Jul-11 13:09:57

I'm struggling to decide which mattress to buy for our cot. There are so many out there and they all differ so much in price! We have a cot not a cot bed, and the size of the cot means we'll need a continental mattress. I've seen them range in price from around £39.99 to over £200! Is there that much difference? And if so, which is best?

Any advice would be great thanks! smile

AKMD Mon 11-Jul-11 13:17:41

Have a look on the Mothercare website here to see what the different types do.

In general, it's best to opt for a sprung mattress as foam tends to sag after a while. Some mattresses have metal springs, while more expensive options will be air sprung. It doesn't really matter which you get TBH.

They also come with different covers. Simple ones will have a wipe-clean cover. Others have removable covers that help to regulate the surface temperature. I have to say that after spending a week on a boiling hot hospital ward with only a sheet between me and a wipe-clean mattress, I would never subject a baby to the same thing. It was awful and I felt uncomfortable and sweaty all the time.

So, my advice is to get a sprung mattress with a removable Advantex cover (and a spare cover for when the baby is sick on it/has an exploding nappy in the night). If your budget is tight and you get a mattress with a wipe-clean cover, put a towel between the mattress and the bottom sheet.

Hope that helps!

Lynzilove Mon 11-Jul-11 16:05:20

Babymattressesonline do an excellent selection and do custom sizes also they are very reasonable meaning you can get better quality. We were doomed to a foam one due to price, but was able to get a fully sprung one for similar prices from the high st

Ivortheengine8 Mon 11-Jul-11 16:19:27

I just bought one for our crib from Amazon.
I would have a look at babymatresonline, amazon and ebay to check for cheaper prices.
Agree with AK a wipe clean one wouldn't be very nice I don't think and you can always put an extra protection sheet on top of the matress.
We have a cot bed for our DD and she has always been fine on it (it wasn't the most expensive) and it came with the cot. I think they get used to whatever they have tbh. As long as it is safe.

I think its the same with everything from car seats to prams, you can do it fairly cheaply or you can go crazy. Even with our first I was constantly looking for bargains because so much of the time you just pay for a name and they are not always the best.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 11-Jul-11 17:19:39

For dd1 we had an expensive John Lewis sprung one but she was so light and out of it by 2 years old and into a bed that it was silly really. This time I'm expecting twins. We have a cot bed so they can share at first and will be using a spring one as they'll be in it longer. The cot mattress we've got on order is a foam one with a removeable, washable cover. As they'll be in the cotbed together for 6 months the twin that goes in the cot will probably only be in it for 18months anyway.

Hope that helps - just my experience. Always buy a new one per baby is the only other advice.

Beccabop Tue 12-Jul-11 00:33:47

Aw youre joking, theres that much choice in baby mattresses?? Ridiculous. angry We're not at the stage where we need one of those yet.

allthefires Tue 12-Jul-11 07:31:46

We got the rochingham spring one from boots. Same one as I got Ds- really good quality but also good price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now