hycosy or laparoscopy before IUI?

(5 Posts)
laughinglemons Mon 11-Jul-11 10:59:23

advice pls.
i am 35, DH 47 - ttc#1 for 18 months.
now at CRGH and have to make a decision
1. IUI this month
2. hycosy or laparoscopy this month then if all ok IUI next

i have posted this on 'conception' but no one has any opinions over there!

QueenCee Mon 11-Jul-11 12:44:11

From my personal experience I'd have the laparoscopy then IUI.
DH and I were TTC for 11 months... I had a laparoscopy and fell PG 2 weeks later. Consultant told me that that's quite common... They're not sure why but think it may "clear out your system".
Even if that doesn't happen for you it may highlight an issue that you can then crack on and deal with straight away rather than trying IUI and suffering disappointment if it fails because there's an issue IYSWIM?
Either way, good luck!

dottyme Mon 11-Jul-11 19:26:11

Also from personal experience I would say have the lap first. We were ttc for 2 years, had a failed iui and decided to have lap before starting ivf. Had lap in jan, started ivf in April, only to realise I was already pregnant! Consultant said this would have been because of the op. I'd say have it and give it a few months to see if it works. Good luck x

9DonkeysAndABoy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:05:11

Hi, we were about couple of years younger, but very similar ages to you and DH. What are the findings so far? I had, oh, what is it, neither of those two you mentioned, but CH something... what's it called? But I think it should be the same as hycosy. I was given all clear, but he had low sperm count. In my books I think it's better to know what's going on than just go straight to IUI / IVF, etc... Also after they did all the tests, they changed their mind about IUI in our case...

So to echo all others, I'd go for investigations first, especially as the wait isn't too long. What's CRGH?

laughinglemons Mon 11-Jul-11 20:05:16

QueenCee and dottyme thank you very much.
there is evidence that interventions do help - but i think that goes for the hycosy too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now