Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Already feeling grim at four and a half weeks - is this only going to get worse?

(11 Posts)
LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Mon 11-Jul-11 08:22:54

I am so excited and happy to be pregnant after having a few difficulties conceiving, but I'm only four and half weeks and I'm already exhausted to the point where I can scarely lift my hands to type, and feel really sick (although not being sick). Is this just going to get worse as the hormones get stronger? I'm in the office and really don't know how I'm going to get through my mountain of work now, never mind if I start feeling worse! I'm also so worried about miscarrying that I feel really distracted, which isn't helping with the work mountain. Do I just need to resign myself to feeling worse and worse for the next few months and hope it gets better at 12 weeks? Thanks!

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 11-Jul-11 08:33:31

Congratulations!

With my first, it got worse until around 7-8 weeks, then steadily better to 12 weeks, then completely better and I had a really easy rest of pregnancy. So it might not be too much longer, although I realise every day feels like a lifetime at this point. Take advantage of your currently childless house and go to bed as soon as you get home, is my advice.

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jul-11 08:34:24

It's probably going to get worse, sorry. I have been hospitalised with sickness and dehydration 6 times in 2 pg. Don't let it get that bad! Take it easy, sleep as much as you can, eat what you can and find a sympathetic GP to sign you off and prescribed anti-sickness meds. For me, passed both times at 14 weeks. Hang in there! And congratulations smile

nannyl Mon 11-Jul-11 08:45:53

Congratulations.

Im 31 weeks pg and felt the same.
Sad to say but yes it got a LOT worse for me. I was signed off by 6 weeks (just for a few days....) ended up in hospital with sickness / HG / dehydration, and was signed off until 16 weeks, at which point i started to feel a TINY bit better.
Weeks 18 - 26 were good weeks for me smile

If you start being really sick get dr to prescribe anti-sick tablets. I ended up going to GP 3 days in a row in week 7 feeling awful. 2nd day i was prescribed the tablets, but buy that time i was too sick to take them (like everything else i vomited them straight back).... so went back to dr the next day, (feeling like i was going to die), and was admitted straight to hospital... as id kept nothing at all down for over 72 hours.

Those 1st 2 months were hell on earth, but i really hope its not as bad for you.

kri5ty Mon 11-Jul-11 09:10:37

i had early symptoms from around 4 weeks, where i was feeling sick all the time (although i never was actually sick) i found eating a lot helped!!

But at 8 weeks they all stopped, and apart from a few headaches, and getting tired easily, i have had no other symtoms!

Niecie Mon 11-Jul-11 09:14:31

There is no way of knowing. You could get worse, you could get better or you could stay the same.

I was like Kri5ty - the symptoms wore off quite early and I was left feeling a bit tired and I had no appetite but other than that I was fine by 10 weeks.

Can you take a week off and rest up for a while? Being tired makes you feel worse I found.

hubbahubster Mon 11-Jul-11 09:18:33

Congrats! I started to feel better around 9-10 weeks, before that I wasn't sick but went right off my food - not like me! I'd advise pulling a sickie, to be honest. You ARE feeling unwell and you really need to look after yourself, but you don't have to tell your boss the real reason unless you want to. Just say you're coming down with something and take a few days at home to rest. You'll probably find you'll have more energy when you go back to work then, rather than running yourself down and actually making yourself worse...

ITryToBeZenBut Mon 11-Jul-11 09:20:22

I felt exactly the same as you. I'm about 8.5 weeks now and was exhausted in a way I'd never felt before (and i work long hrs so am used t0 tiredness) plus constant nausea with rare sicknessitself. I'm optimistic it'll get better as I'm getting more and more moments nausea free in the last 10 days - even managed the gym at the weekend. 3 weekends ago I spent the entire weekend in bed.

I found that sleep really affected how I felt the next day, Whilst it's no fun to come in from work, go to bed, sleep and wake up and start over again - when I did just that and got a god 10 hrs sleep - I felt better nausea-wise.

Also eating little and often helps - much as I really didn't want to eat - it helped the nausea.

It's not much fun at work. I just told myself that if I really had to, then I'd just have to go home - it's always an option even if not an easy one and knowing that plus just taking things in the moment and not thinking about getting through the whole day, helped destress me. I find it helps to think, I'll go in - I'll do what I can - I can always go home just reassured me. Also, I carried a binbag with some tissues in it in my bag for the commute which I have never needed and hope i don't but it makes me feel better.

Just breathe, try to just take things as they come and not worry to much about what ifs and the next few weeks and just take it hour by hour. It soon passes and many, many people feel better at the end of teh first trimester and if you don't, you'll find a way to cope.

mollschambers Mon 11-Jul-11 09:24:38

Congratulations!

I don't remember getting any worse. Lasted until 16-17 weeks. Like a hangover every day was how I described it to DH.

I should have taken time off work but didn't. Don't soldier on just because you're pregnant and not "ill". The distraction may help you cope with the nausea but if you're so tired you can't actually do your job properly you'd be better off resting.

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Mon 11-Jul-11 09:54:00

Thanks, everyone. I'll feel really guilty if I have to take time off as the team is so busy at the moment but am aware I may have no choice if it gets worse. Even a day in bed might help! Thanks for all the really helpful comments.

kri5ty Mon 11-Jul-11 10:01:51

i agree oveInAColdChamberOfSecre i had a few days off, just resting and felt tons better for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now