Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Transverse lie at 31 weeks - anyone know any C Section stats?

(6 Posts)
Tigertoes Sun 10-Jul-11 20:58:29

Any medics/MWs/experts out there? DC3 is transverse (on a scan) at 31 weeks. And I think has been like this for at least 5 weeks. There was quite a bit of muttering about "knives and forks" at the clinic - which I presume means a section.. but no actual DATA - anyone know how likely the baby is to turn? What increases/decreases the chances? And what can I do to help things along? I'd obviously love to avoid a section if at all possible...

paternal Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:33

Can't gives stats but at 31 weeks, you still have plenty of time. We're 32 weeks and were told As long as the baby remains in fluid they can try to manually turn the baby up until labour. Even if the baby was cephalic now there is no guarantee the baby would remain that way. I suggest you sit tight and everything will be ok.

Eskarina Sun 10-Jul-11 21:26:55

Sorry I don't know any stats but I went in thismorning for monitoring (reduced movements, though it's making up for it now) and the obstetrician told me baby has moved from head down to transverse (am 34+5) - must have done that on Friday as I saw the midwife earlier this week who confirmed it was head down then. But they're not worried and said that before 37 weeks they won't do anything as there's plenty of time for it to move back into position BUT if I feel anything like labour starting before it's confirmed it is back in head down then I need to drop everything and get to the labour ward.

In terms of helping things along my NCT teacher is very pro sitting on birth ball and keeping oneself "upright, forward and open" (that's your hips open), and sleeping on left.

Hope some of that helps. I do think it's quite bad that the drs were muttering around you and not actually explaining anything to you.

whysolate Sun 10-Jul-11 21:30:50

I am not medically qualified Tigertoes, but I don't think you need to worry yet. I think it would only be a problem if you went into active labour whilst the baby was transverse. My DD was transverse when I went into premature labour, which is why I had to have an EMCS.

buttonmoon78 Mon 11-Jul-11 07:35:44

I've had 2 transverse and one breech at your stage. The breech one was turned via ecv (at 37wks) and was born head down. The two transverse turned themselves - one at 37+6 (day before booked elcs) and the other at 35+4 (day before presentation scan to book elcs)! That one is still in utero but now engaged and ready for induction on Friday (for other reasons).

Don't panic yet - there's loads of time.

nannyl Mon 11-Jul-11 08:51:24

i might be wrong but i think lieing forward, ie bum in the air on hands / elbows and knees on ground helps, or lieing forward over a ball for support. Also not sitting lieing back, ie on a sofa, sit on a ball instead so baby turns with gravity.

Plenty of time for baby to turn yet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now