Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Some questions about the GTT

(7 Posts)
HappyHollydays Sun 10-Jul-11 18:20:49

I am booked in to have a GTT on Tuesday. I have been given an info sheet about the test and what to do etc.

The thing that's bothering me is that the results are based on my blood sugars once I have drunk a sugary drink.

I don't consume high amounts of sugar like that in my every day life. Why not test me after I've eaten a normal meal?

I wouldn't be surprised if my blood sugars do go a bit crazy after the test, its not how I eat.

Can anyone explain it to me?

moocowmrs Sun 10-Jul-11 19:02:08

I am not a professional but have had two gtt tests and what i underdstand is that it is a controlled test to see how your body deals with the sugar ie how well it is working, your levels are tested after fasting, which gives an idea of your normal level, then before the drink to give a baseline then two hours after to give the after figure, which shows how your body dealt with the sugar. it is a controlled test which is what is important. But sure someone will come along and explain better than me.

HappyHollydays Sun 10-Jul-11 19:14:52

I guess my query is why not meaure it in a normal situation? I don't really like sweet foods or drinks and so if these dangerous levels only show up after I've had a glucose drink then how does that bear any relation to what my body is doing every day?

I just can't make sense of it which is making the thought of spending half a day in hospital even harder to bear.

Firawla Sun 10-Jul-11 19:30:06

They will take your fasting level aswel, so its not only based on the sugar but i think the point is that for a normal person if you have that sugar then after 2 hours your sugar level should come down a certain amount anyway but if it does not then it shows your body has trouble dealing with it. If you were diagnosed with diabetes then most likely your healthy diet will be good for it anyway and maybe your levels would be generally fine? or may be it will come back negative anyway, but they need to do the test with the glucose drink just to see how your body handles it, compared to everyone else by giving everyone the same thing

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 10-Jul-11 19:48:31

I just wish they didn't use fizzy lucozade. Bleurgh!

Ilovekittyelise Sun 10-Jul-11 20:04:51

i have type 1 diabetes, so I know a little about this.

contrary to popular belief, diabetes isnt about sugar, its a disease of carbohydrate metabolism.

all carbohydrates in food (whether that be bread, pasta, brown rice, white rice, mars bars, wine gums, orange juice) are broken down into simple sugars during the process of digestion, and in simple terms, the hormone insulin allows the end product of carbohydrate metabolism, glucose, to be taken into the cells and used as energy, rather than floating around wreaking havoc as 'high blood sugar'.

in type 1 diabetes, the body produces no insulin, whereas type 2 is generally where your body becomes very resistant to insulin, and it needs a lot more insulin to get that glucose into the body's cells. in pregnancy we become naturally resistant to insulin (so for me, i started my pregnancy taking approximately 50 units of insulin per day, at 31 weeks this is close to 150 to do the same job, lucky for me i dont have to worry about whether my pancreas can keep up with the increased demand, i know it cant and just adjust my doses gradually as a result of testing my blood sugar frequently). for some people, this results in GD: ie the body is unable to produce enough insulin to keep the blood sugar level in a normal range.

The GTT is simply the best way of testing your body's insulin response. It makes no difference what you are used to eating, your body should respond to the presence of rising blood sugar levels by releasing insulin; the only difference in a diet predominantly consisting of low GI foods is that the insulin response is slower as blood sugar levels elevate more gradually - but this doesnt mean it doesnt quicken up when presented with sugary drinks.

If the results come back as impaired, this indicates that you have an impaired insulin response. In a mild case it can be controlled by reducing the carb's in one's diet, and by sticking to low GI carbs like brown rice, wholegrains etc: as I mentioned in the previous paragraph this means that the food is broken down more slowly into glucose giving your body more time to release adequate insulin. However, sometimes this is not enough and your body is temporariily in a position where it is unable to effectively metabolise even moderate amounts of low GI carbs, and in this case you need to take insulin for the remainder of your pregnancy. So however healthy your diet, it's important to have the test as it doesnt mean you cant develop the condition or neessarily control it....

Anyhow, try not to worry about this test, the point is, the results are completely independent of the kind of diet you have and even with the most healthy diet, insulin can be required, so try not to fret, have the test, and then come back and let us know how you get on.

HappyHollydays Sun 10-Jul-11 21:44:35

Thanks everyone. I'll update on Tuesday and let you know the result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now