Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When are you putting your cot/crib up?

(22 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 16:33:49

I got mine a few weeks ago. Its a small crib as the baby can have DD's cot later on. Its still in the box under the bed. When will you be putting yours up?
smile

NatzCNL Sun 10-Jul-11 16:46:11

I put ours up at 20 weeks. But this is baby number 3 and we are trying to organise the house.

With DD1 we put it up at 37 weeks - but we had only just moved into our new house, else would probaby have been up much earlier!

BigBabyBoots Sun 10-Jul-11 16:49:35

Bought and instantly assembled last week at 28 weeks grin didn't see any need to wait, needed to check all the parts were there etc.

Sewmuchtodo Sun 10-Jul-11 16:50:07

We built the nursery furniture on Thursday......im 29wks with DC3 so trying to be organised!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Sun 10-Jul-11 16:52:12

38 weeks today and we only got the moses basket down from the loft on Thursday. As it's an heirloom it wasn't a question of checking it was all there or anything, just making sure it wasn't a squatter's lodge for spiders grin

MissTriangle Sun 10-Jul-11 16:52:13

We made our crib, and also the cot and other nursery furniture when I was 30 weeks. Again we wanted to make sure we had all the bits and pieces for assembly. Like having it up now- makes the nursery room look lovely. X

Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 16:54:07

Sorry I am 26 weeks btw. Very good point big baby - need to check all the parts are there! grin

babyonbord Sun 10-Jul-11 16:57:42

We are waiting till the baby needs it before we assemble it plus i'm still decorating the nursery, my dh is rewiring it to put sockets where i need them and all that diy stuff men love. The baby is going in our room initally anyway as they are meant to sleep there till at least 6 months so won't be assembling the cot until baby is ready to go in it. But i've got my moses basket and baby change unit set up in our bedroom.

otchayaniye Sun 10-Jul-11 16:58:55

I never had one for the first although I've got an amby somewhere. Plan on sleeping (or not, as the case may be) in same bed and having her in our room for 1 year plus.

Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:03:53

Yes, the baby will be in with me for the first six months as DD will be in the other room and I think the baby will just keep waking her up, so I've made a space by my bed. We don't really have a 'nursery' as such although our DD sleeps in the second bedroom.

Sewmuchtodo Sun 10-Jul-11 17:16:19

Our new DC will be in with us to begin with too, I just wanted the nursery ready as I use it to store all his/her things, changing table etc. Plus it seems to make it more real for our other DC's to see the spare bedroom transformed.

questforanswers Sun 10-Jul-11 17:21:33

Do people sleep with babies in bed with them? (stupid question?)

Sewmuchtodo Sun 10-Jul-11 17:37:31

I dont, we have a crib beside the bed.

otchayaniye Sun 10-Jul-11 17:41:39

"Do people sleep with babies in bed with them?"

Google co-sleeping or bed-sharing.

Yes. I did with my first. I had an amby but after the third night feed would sleep with her -- following of course, all the precautions. She went straight from our bed at 21 months into a grown up bed.

Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:43:06

Some people do quest. I did a couple of times but prefer to use a crib/cot mainly so I could sleep peacfully and so DD didn't get used to it. I found it quite difficult being kicked etc all night. DD sleeps much better on her own anyway.

questforanswers Sun 10-Jul-11 17:49:13

Blimey thats a revelation for me! My OH asked if we could have his daughter in with us (she was just 2 at the time) for the first couple of nights that she stayed with us but was met with a resounding NO! What if you're unwell and all you want is your own space? Do the kiddies not refuse to sleep in their own bed once you get fed up?

otchayaniye Sun 10-Jul-11 17:54:53

Strangely I was very rarely unwell -- just tired sometimes --v but I found that breastfeeding a baby on demand (and she was teeny and slightly prem so I really fed often in the early days particularly) and feeding to sleep and getting some sleep myself was much easier

I found getting 'my own space' was something that just got put on the back burner. It was nice when she went in her own bed at nearly 2 years, won't deny that! Lovely lying in bed watching DVDs again.

I'm 8 months pregnant and it's hitting me like a steam train that my first child is growing up so fast (she still sometimes comes in our bed and I never fight it, I'm still breastfeeding her) that I never regret for a single second those times we had. It goes by so fast.

superjobeespecs Sun 10-Jul-11 17:58:26

DD has co-slept on and off since birth, she hasnt been in our bed for over a year now and she is 6.4 blush wouldnt do it again bloody nightmare getting her out plus she's really tall and fidgety like me so drove me mad .. she had her moses basket for 6 weeks then her cot bed then junior bed then single bed then bunk beds then single again now bunk beds again... she's had these bunks for over a yr now and so far so good

<fingers bloody crossed>

when DS arrives he's only allowed in our bed for naps and only with OH because once i get cosy with a sweet smelling wrinkly baby im afraid it'll start all over again.....

superjobeespecs Sun 10-Jul-11 18:00:00

meant to preview blush anyway ..

i put DDs cot up at 33 weeks and OH will be putting DSs up at around 36 weeks as thats when im forcing him to get rid of the cat because if i find it in the cot i will wring its scrawny little neck grin <psychotic eyes emoticon>

allthefires Sun 10-Jul-11 18:00:55

23 weeks. Riducously early but wanted to check all things there,new cot top changer and mattress fitted and most importantly stop the spare room being a dumping ground!

nannyl Sun 10-Jul-11 18:12:13

We built ours last week at 30 weeks.

BUT only to check all the bits were there etc. We are having the room carpeted around 35 weeks (when family bathroom has finished being "done") so it will need to come apart then (cause to wide to get out the door) and then be built again again!!!

MsChanandlerBong Sun 10-Jul-11 18:13:43

Mine has just gone up at 30 weeks - mainly to check that we had all the parts, but also so we could store all the other miscellaneous baby stuff in there whilst we find more permanent homes for things (the pile of purchases in the living room was becoming a trip hazard!!)

I'm planning on buying the bedding next week, but won't wash it and put it on the bed until much nearer my due date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now