Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Citalopram and Pregnancy. Advice needed from anyone who has taken meds in pregnancy pls

(18 Posts)
EmJayg Sat 09-Jul-11 21:44:00

Hi, just done four tests and each have a faint line so am fairly sure I am pregnant. I will be 6 weeks tomo. Unfortunetly I take 40mg citalopram every day and I am worried about the risks associated with it. Has anyone taken citalopram during pregnancy and has it affected their baby in any way? Any advice welcome, I want to come off the citalopram but am scared of becoming ill again. x

Dutchie77 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:57:13

congrats!!!!!!!

No worry about citalopram. There have been threads before about it, and they all say that it is no problem. Otherwise give your GP a ring tomorrow.

But as far as I know... no problem

spritzercat Sun 10-Jul-11 21:10:21

Hi EmJayg,

Congratulations thats fantastic news. I wrote on the mental health forum about this a few weeks ago after finding myself in the same position as you. I was advised to come straight off them by the doctor. I went cold turkey and the affects were frightening for me. I was not given any support from the GP and after a search on here it seems I was given very limited information about coming off the tablets. It was never explored whether it was suitable for me to come off them in the first place.

Have a look through the mental health forums and on pregnancy and if you are worried then speak to your doctor.

Good luck and again a BIG FAT CONGRATULATIONS to you.xxx

beakysmum Sun 10-Jul-11 21:16:34

I was on citalopram too when I became pregnant with DC3 and was advised by my psychiatrist (eeek!) to stay on them. I did and have never regretted it. DC3 is now 9months old, beautiful, happy and healthy.

I was told that if the benfits outweigh the risks it is worth staying on Citalopram. As I had had PND twice before, it was worth staying on it.

HTH and congrats :-)

Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:54

Don't worry about the meds. This is my second pregnancy on fluroxetine with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you tell your Dr you feel you do need to stay on them (if thats how you feel) because sometimes they try and err on the side of caution and I have heard stories of Dr's taking people off immediately, which of course is not the best thing to do.
You will be fine and congrats!

travispickles Sun 10-Jul-11 21:25:57

I came off them and although the side effects were horrific in the short term, I have felt so much better for being off them. Once the second trimester kicked in anyway smile. But my DD now nearly 6 months and she is fine anyway.

KatyN Mon 11-Jul-11 09:07:07

I take citraloplan.. 40 mg daily.. the only thing I was recommended to do was split my dose to 20mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. but I didn't do that until I knew I was pregnant (so 5 weeks).. Maybe discuss with your GP if they think that is necessary.
also just to warn you.. I was referred to social services by my MW for having a history of depression. It did slightly freak me out but actually they haven't got in touch (at 22 weeks) so they haven't worried about me.
kt

EmJayg Tue 12-Jul-11 20:20:51

Thanks guys, I have been advised to cut down to 20mg and see how I am in two weeks and discuss with doc how I am doing then. I am lucky cos my GP is very clued up on both mental health and pregnancy. (being a mum herself obviously helps) She is hoping that I will be able to come off them completely but she said my mental health is more important as citalopram hasnt been proven to harm babies.
Am hoping the withdrawal aint gonna be too bad this time, maybe I wont notice as much as I feel sick all the time anyway lol.
Will let you know how I get on
Em

pruney1977 Tue 12-Jul-11 23:32:59

I was on 40mg citalopram when I found out I was pregnant in April, my doctor advised me to come off very gradually. I reduced to 30mg for 2 weeks, then 20mg for 2 weeks and finally 10mg for around 2-3 weeks. The only thing I noticed was I started crying a lot after I came off them completely but I think that was due to the pregnancy because it was the depressive crying I'd experienced before, sometimes I was crying whilst laughing about it and there was always a trigger, no matter how silly. When I was depressed and crying, I'd just start for no reason whatsoever.
HTH and good luck with whatever you decide to do. My doctor would have supported me staying on them if I'd needed to but thankfully I've felt fine.

pregnantmimi Wed 13-Jul-11 00:17:33

Hi gosh citalopram is a common antidepressent isnt it.

I was on it been off it since pregnant felt rubbish first trimester and have few wobbly days.

At 3 months was told its ok to go back on my doctor but decided not too.

I think I did have a few weeks when the depression came back the staring at the wall numb feeling I even posted on here about going back on them. I had one and it made me feel strange decided to stay off them.

I have had manic depression 14 years so I have been on medication as well as having 7 year gap to treat illness holistically but still had to take them when the depression got too much so I know how hard it can be.

Having said alll that one of my close friends stayed on citalopram all thou her pregnancy and baby and her fine so really I think its personal choise.

The doctor I saw thought good idea to come off it for first 3 months I came off it quite fast had horrible withdrawal so if you do decide to come off it be prepared for that.

On the plus side its nice to be able to cry and I havent had the strange sleeping all day business I used to have while on it apart from first 3 months.

My worries were about the chemicals going to the baby dispite what I had read about it being safe but its up to you. xx

Ivortheengine8 Wed 13-Jul-11 06:56:18

EmJay, I think your Dr did the right thing and she sounds pretty clued up.
Hope it goes ok for you.
Take care

EmJayg Thu 14-Jul-11 08:19:02

Well taking the 20mg, moods all over the place but I have just had some worrying news about the pregnancy. I was getting a lot of cramps and the hospital has scanned me and said they cant see the pregnancy. However I am producing Hcg so they have taken my blood and I go back tomorrow to see if Hcg is increasing normally.
If it is happy days, the chances are I am not as pregnant as I thought and it is just too tiny to pick up on screen just yet.
Unfortunetly it could mean eptopic pregnancy or a early miscarriage waiting to happen.
I am understandably nervous, trying not to worry about it but its very hard.

xkatyx Thu 14-Jul-11 09:56:02

Hi I'm on 20mg citalopram I took it through out my pregnancy and I'm pregnant again.

I have spoke to top consultants about it and they don't have a problem at all.

Also they advised breastfeeding is fine also

bmm39 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:30:04

Don't worry I was in the exact same position as you. I am 7 and a half weeks pregnant and I am taking 30mg citalopram daily. I went to my GP and she advised me that there is a very low risk to the unborn baby but suggested that I reduce my dosage to 10mg. WHAT A MISTAKE! I noticed within 2 days that I was feeling depressed, anxious and I was continually crying and did not want to see anyone or do anything. I saw another GP and she advised me that there is very little research in relation to anti-depressants but during pregnancy (believe it or not) the mother is priority. We weighed up the slight risk of developmental problems and the risk of me being ill for the whole of the pregnancy and it was apparent that me being poorly for the whole of the pregnancy would more than likely affect the unborn child more.

I went back up to 30mg and after about 10 days I have started to feel normal again.

So it's your choice but don't worry because there is very minimal risk, if any to your unborn child. Weigh up the pros and cons.

EmJayg Sat 16-Jul-11 11:42:28

I am struggling at the moment, I am trying to stick to 20mg until I get to 12 weeks, give baby a chance to develop normally but I am feeling down and stressed. I will prob go back up to 30 or 40's after 12 weeks but early days yet....

I do intend to come off them completely around 30 weeks as baby can have withdrawal symptoms once born.
Again I will just have to see how I am.

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 11:49:18

EmJayg you prob already know this but but alot of pregnant woman feel hormonal cry alot down etc Im just sitting here crying at some random thing on tele. I really think withdrawel messes you about when you cut down too I felt like this when I had cut down to come off it. Lots better now I hoping the hormones will sort out the depression in the long time read some woman get balanced after pregnancyxx

EmJayg Mon 18-Jul-11 20:29:55

The withdrawal aint too bad today, just sleeping a lot at the mo. Unfortunetly I dont think I will be any more balanced after the baby as with my son I got post natal depression. I dont do things by half!
I am lucky that my GP is supportive and I have a lot of family support too.
I am reassured that so many have taken citalopram and had healthy babies so am concentrating on the positives.
x Em

EmJayg Fri 22-Jul-11 07:50:37

Oh crikey, having a really hard time of it. Cant stop crying my eyes out and being a right bitch to my fella. Dunno if that is cos of hormones or lack of tablets? I am speaking to my GP later today cos cant cope wi it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now