Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Heavy bleeding at 7 weeks pregnant

(16 Posts)
muffymiffy Sat 09-Jul-11 11:32:23

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar thing to me?

On Monday I went to the toilet (I was at work) and there was blood when I wiped. Rushed home and spent the night bleeding unbelievably heavily. It was bright red and there were lots of clots. So spent the whole of Tuesday convinced I'd had a miscarriage only to discover at my appointment at the early pregnancy unit that the baby's fine - correct size for my due date (11mm), strong heartbeat and the sac all OK.

However there was a massive hematoma (a collection of blood). Apparently this isn't that unusual, but I'm obviously worried about it. I've been in bed most of the week and since Wednesday, the discharge has both slowed down and become blacky/brown in colour. Thankfully no more clots. I'm just terrified of this turning into a miscarriage (it's my first pregnancy ever and from a 2nd cycle of IVF).

Am now scared of doing anything much incase I start bleeding again.

Any advice gratefully received

Pancakeflipper Sat 09-Jul-11 11:43:42

Oh my heart goes out to you. I bled in both my pregnancies (both babies ok). My second pregnancy - I bled on and off until about 26 weeks. Bright red. I hated going for a wee in case more blood. I had to use sanitary towels as it wasn't just a few drops when wiping. It was hard to bond in my pregnancy cos I couldn't believe it would make it.

It's hard to not focus on anything else. You cannot put it to back of your mind. Resting won't harm baby so go for that. I found in my first pregnancy if I was overdoing the garden, DIY ( we'd just moved house, lots to do) then I would bleed and my Dr said if rest works for you then do it.

Can you get another scan next week to ease your worries? I had lots of extra scans and it helped me keep some sanity.

Fingers crossed. Please keep us updated x

Pancakeflipper Sat 09-Jul-11 11:46:39

Had a thought. And its a sad one so sorry. It's sadly possible there was more than 1 baby and perhaps they are no longer there.

This is very common and most women don't actually know they were carrying more than one. It's nature.... Oh boy I hate that phrase.

muffymiffy Sat 09-Jul-11 11:56:13

A twin is certainly a thought - they transferred two blastocysts but at the 6 week scan could only see one sac, but maybe it was little or hiding. I'm going to have a scan early next week hopefully and am seeing the midwife on Monday, so hopefully she'll reassure me.

Feel more positive today as so far my pants are totally clean, so am hoping blood collection now reabsorbed or has left my system.

Pancakeflipper Sat 09-Jul-11 12:52:06

Good on clean pants! I used to want to yell whoopee in the cubicles at work.

Will u post on here next week on how the scan went? Hope it goes great for you. Sounds like you've had a journey to get here.

moregranny Sat 09-Jul-11 13:34:13

My daughter had the same at 7 weeks, just as she was going to New York for 5 days, freaked me right out worried all the time she was away.......today she is coming to tea for her dad's birthday and she is bringing 19 day old Millie with her, I sincerely hope that you have the same luck that she had smile

muffymiffy Sat 09-Jul-11 17:09:11

Yes I'll post next week to let you know the outcome. Thanks so much for all the support. It really helps

Lulu57 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:53:24

When pregnant with dd 6 years ago, I bled heavily at around 7 weeks too and lost clots, one was the size of a 2pound coin if I remember right. I was convinced that I was miscarrying, but everything was fine. I was never told anything at the time by the midwife and consultant and it's only recently when I told somebody about it, that they remarked that I might have been carrying twins and lost one of them... I wish you all the best of luck and that you will get reassuring news just like I did 6 years ago! I'm 7 weeks preggers too btw. lol

earshot Sat 09-Jul-11 19:26:05

Just wanted to give you a virtual hug and reassurance! I bleed from 5 weeks and a scan at 6 weeks showed a huge haematoma too. I continued to bleed (like a period) until 11 weeks but at my 12 week scan the clot had all gone - I was amazed cos I'd thought the worst, but apparently the uterus is very clever at removing the unwanted stuff and keeping the important stuff!

The doctors said at the time no one knew why implantation bleeds occur but there are no bad implications for a continuing pregnancy. It was sooooo stressful and I really feel for you but take heart, I spoke to lots of other people with the same story and they have babies now! I totally agree with getting more scans, I found the wait unbearable.

The best of luck in the world for you and your precious pregnancy, I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you xx

muffymiffy Sat 09-Jul-11 22:49:39

Thankyou so much, that's really reassuring. Hardest part of course now is that the slightest twinge or teensy cramp and I start to fear the worst, so will take heart from your experiences and be more positive.

PrincessScrumpy Sat 09-Jul-11 23:15:46

I had 3 bleeds early on in my pg. I'm now 29w pg with twins. I had no bleeding with dd1 so it was a huge shock. I've been so worried all pg and just have an image of walking out of the hospital with my healthy babies. However, I've also spoken to lots of people who have had the same and it seems to be really common. Fingers crossed for you but if the scan showed a healthy hb then sounds good to me.

Congratulations on your pregnancy x

Tiredtrout Sun 10-Jul-11 07:31:52

Hi muffymiffy, I'm 10 wks going through the same thing as you at the moment. In the past week I've been to hospital 4 times because of how heavy the bleeding is. Each I've got a happy wriggling bean at the scan. The hospital weren't able to give me any info on what caused it other than possible implantation. I know there was no twin in our case as I had a scan the week before which only showed one baby. I did get kicked in the belly before I knew I was pg at work though so I think it's more likely to do with that. I've been told that if I have a heavy bleed I'm to go straight to a&e and if I'm worried at all to go straight in for a scan. The resting thing sucks but I hope you are ok. Give me a pm if you need anything at all xx

muffymiffy Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:11

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the support last week. Am over the moon as yesterday the scan went well. Baby is 18.5mm long which is perfect size for 8 weeks, heartbeat fine, sac looks good.

Haematoma still there and is no smaller but is no longer liquid - which apparently means it's gradually being reabsorbed, though I'm likely to still see some scary looking dark clots from time to time when I go to the loo. So I guess I'll have to ride this one out and hope I don't get another fresh bleed.

Wish 12 weeks would hurry up and arrive, then I'd feel more secure that all will be well!

Tiredtrout Wed 13-Jul-11 17:04:49

That's wonderful news, it's lovely to see them wriggling about grin

earshot Sat 16-Jul-11 08:56:51

Fantastic news! So pleased for you xxx

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 11:29:09

I had same at 5 weeks 11 and 15 been told now if happens again need injection cause resus negative xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now