Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone pregnant or have a newborn aswel as a tantruming toddler?!

(12 Posts)
SianRJ Sat 09-Jul-11 10:59:00

Hiya im 5 months pregnant and some days i feel like im going mad !
My lil boy is 22 months and can be so good sometimes but i think lately he has hit his terrible twos and can have some really bad tantrums !
It gets me really quite stressed and makes me worry if im going to cope okay when this baby is here :/
Just wonder if anyone is in the same position? Or have a toddler and a new baby? Is it hard?! My lil boy will be 2yrs and 2months when this one is born, hoping he will start to grow out of it :/
Thankyou

harrygracejessica Sat 09-Jul-11 11:54:59

I had 2 almost 3 year olds and just had another set of twins. The big ones certainly tantrum and fight, the naughty spot gets used lots although now I can just threaten it and it calms them down.

edwinbear Sat 09-Jul-11 13:55:53

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and DS is 23 months so I know exactly how you feel. The thing that worries me most is what DS will do whilst I'm bf the new baby, he can trash a room in 5 mins flat so I dread to think what he could do in 20 mins. Also, will I be able to get the new baby to sleep when DS has his lunchtime nap so I can also have a sleep. But, I'm working on the basis that it's a very normal age gap so lots of people have done it and survived to tell the tale. It will all be fine, I'm sure.

mamaesi Sat 09-Jul-11 16:24:52

I feel the same! I have a tantruming (is that a word?) 15month old and she is driving me crazy!
She is the cutest thing in the world but a total trouble maker and really strong character. Have a baby on the way and every day I worry about coping.

Will have a 20 month gap. So she will still be quite hard to reason with...and am very worried about jealousy as she wont let me type this note/do dishes/laundry, etc

like you said , people do it all the time..so I guess you just have to go with the flow. Am also worried that I wont cope with the lack of sleep because with the first one I could sleep when she did...but how do you do that with a toddler? mine only takes one nap a day, sometimes only 40min- 1 hour

PeterSpanswick Sat 09-Jul-11 16:29:24

Signing in here - I'm 32 weeks pregnant and also have a 22month old who has recently discovered his inner drama queen. I'm beginning to question the age gap for exactly some of the reasons listed!

Will be watching with interest!

MrsVidic Sat 09-Jul-11 17:12:22

36+3 with a nearly 2 yr old dd. She has just stopped napping! Anyway- the naughty space is enough to stop any behaviour I don't like. I tend to keep her busy, ensure I get her out once a day to excersize- this really helps her behaviour. I also use reigns as I know I won't keep up if she runs off

nicolamumof3 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:51:43

i think very very common!

ds2 was 18m when ds3 arrived, i think it was a good age gap in hindsight, as he was more of a baby then a tantruming toddler during my pg. And tbh it was all alot easier than i thought it was going to be.

They are now 5.5yr and almost four respectively and im expecting dc4 any day now so it didn't put me off!!

SianRJ Sat 09-Jul-11 20:21:00

Thankyou everyone, at least i know im not on my own! We will just wait and see...! smile

del1 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:37:04

I am 32 weeks ( massive ) and have a 2 1/2 yr old DS and a 1 yr old DD.
I am finding it difficult the past few weeks to be honest!
My DD is really good at the minute, and will play happily.
But my DS is so full of energy, and can be a handfull at times.
I just make sure I get out to either visit someone, or get some fresh air everyday, like MrsVidic said.
I thought I would struggle with going to work aswell, but actually find it more relaxing being at work than home with the kids!! shock

HumphreyCobbler Sat 09-Jul-11 22:39:52

It is SO much easier to parent a newborn and a toddler than it is to be pregnant and parent a toddler. However stroppy they are.

Don't worry, you are doing the hardest bit right now, you will cope when you have the baby.

I had a 20 month gap with mine. They are two and four now and get on really well as they are into the same stuff.

emoo777 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:27:47

I am 33 weeks and will end up having an 18 month age gap. I have found being pregnant and having a toddler (and working FT in a physically active job) a nightmare so a lot of this discussion is reassuring. Although dd is only 16 months I have a feeling she will be able to throw monumental tantrums when she is a bit older, based on what I have seen so far!

Ivortheengine8 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:59:25

YES! Thank God we are not alone. I am 6 months pregnant and have a tantruming toddler of 21 months! Some days I ask myself what the hell was I thinking?!

I am lucky in that DD still has a nap midday though which I could not do without. She is generally ok but when she throws a tantrum I find it physically pretty demanding. She is very good with her dolly though - she offers Dolly drink and food when she eats and drinks and likes to take her for walks, so maybe she is preparing herself!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now