Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constant discomfort after sweep - is this normal/the start of things?

(17 Posts)
3become4 Fri 08-Jul-11 20:03:30

So I had a sweep this morning and am now in pretty much constant discomfort (I hesitate to say pain because I know it's going to get a whole lot worse!). It's like really bad period pain. Definitely not contractions as it's constant. Does this sound normal? Is this the start of things? Or should I be worried? I did have some bleeding/loss of plug for a while after but I think that's pretty much stopped now so I don't think there's anything to worry about but I wasn't really expecting this.

del1 Fri 08-Jul-11 20:14:11

I had a sweep with my second at 4pm. I was apparently 2cm dialated and 'favourable'.
I had blood ( possibly a show?) and had cramping straight away.
The midwife told me I might be a bit uncomfortable, so presumed it was that.
But cramping got worse during the night, and I had DD at 10am the next morning!!
Fingers crossed for you

firsttimemama Fri 08-Jul-11 20:20:10

This sounds like what I had - I had a sweep at 12 noon got cramps an hour later which lasted til about 7pm, they went away then came back at 11pm and carried on all night, I went to the hospital at 6am the next morning and had my my first dc at 6pm that evening. HTH

YellowingWallpaper Fri 08-Jul-11 20:44:23

Yey! Good news...it probably IS the start of things.

I had a sweep at 1pm and the next morning woke up 10 cms and had a home delivery and baby by 1pm that day!

Back ache, a bit crampy, bit uncomfortable....I recommend 2 paracetamols, a tens machine (if you have one) and or a hot water bottle...if you are having a hospital birth you may as well hang on for as long as possible otherwise you risk being "sent back"....best of luck smile

wigglesrock Fri 08-Jul-11 21:11:32

I had sweeps with dd1 and dd2 and did nothing but I had a sweep at 11am with dd3 and at about this time had discomfort that progressed pretty quickly, she was born at 1.40am the following morning. Get into the bath, good luck.

3become4 Fri 08-Jul-11 21:39:20

Thanks all. Definitely getting more painful - peaking and troughing for sure but not really stopping in between! This is actually my 2nd pregnancy but I was induced 1st time and DD was OP so I've never experienced this before. Assume I have a while to go but the contractions (assuming that is what they are) seem quite close together. Have called in childcare and may go run that bath! Eek.

del1 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:00:01

OOH, excited for you xx

Mollyfloss Fri 08-Jul-11 22:03:53

Sounds like the start of things alright. Try to conserve your energy if at all possible - rest or even sleep (although I never could). It could be quick or go on for a while. Good luck!

neverlookback Sat 09-Jul-11 14:07:46

ooh good luck, i had multiple sweeps with both my dc's but they didnt work so i wasnt going to bother this time but now i think ill change my mind!!

3become4 Sun 10-Jul-11 15:13:22

It was the start! Sweep at 10.30am Fri, baby at 9.15am Sat!

RingEir Sun 10-Jul-11 17:05:44

Wow! Congratultions!

RingEir Sun 10-Jul-11 17:06:17

Congratulations even blush

YellowingWallpaper Sun 10-Jul-11 19:51:31

Congratulations smile

wigglesrock Sun 10-Jul-11 20:27:52

Told you so grin, well was it a boy/girl; names!! You can't leave us hanging grin. Congratulations, take care and look after yourself.

del1 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:08:57

Yeay, knew you would, well done. Hope your all ok smile

neverlookback Sun 10-Jul-11 21:09:03

well done congratulations xxx

3become4 Sun 10-Jul-11 23:15:42

Thank you! Girl, 7lb, Beatrix.

Must sleep....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now