Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried that my hairs falling out during pregnancy

(7 Posts)
snortwithmirth Fri 08-Jul-11 14:09:18

I'm 6w3d and my hair was falling out alot before I was pregnant, but it hasn't stopped and its worrying me.
In all my previous pregnancies my hair has stopped falling out before I'd even found out that I was pregnant.
My Dr checked my thyroid a few months ago and it was fine. He doesn't seem worried about it and doesn't want to run anymore tests.
I cant help thinking I must have some deficiency or imbalance which will jeopardise this pregnancy. I'm on progesterone supposititories (cyclogest) because of a late miscarriage I had previously.
and I'm taking pregnacare multivitamins.
Any answers or advice greatly appreciatedsmile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 08-Jul-11 15:21:15

I have just read in a pregnancy book that hair can fall out more during pregnancy as it is fuller and thicker and grows quicker and therefore needs to be replenished faster.

When you say it was falling out alot before, was it at a rate at which you were worried, taking the pregnancy out of the equation? If so, then it would surely need looking into, although I'm no expert.

Oh and, Congratulations smile

vallinnapod Fri 08-Jul-11 15:30:12

I had this - started around 14 weeks and stopped...erm...well, slowed down in the last week or so (31 weeks). It really worried the crap out of me, and also seemed so trivial as so much worse could be going on.

I had all the blood tests but thyroid, iron levels etc all fine. The MW even referred me to the homeopathic hospital but to be honest that made little difference.

I am taking Sanatogen Mother-to-be plus Omega 3 and take a Spatone twice a day to ensure my iron levels are normal. Again, this made no real difference to the hair, but I can only assume it has all contributed to a problem free pregnancy outside of this.

My hair has got noticeably thinner to me but no one else has really noticed. I stopped washing it daily and only wash it every other day but again, it really doesn't make that much difference.

Sorry not to give you any more good news but as I say, it has slowed down recently. I am just worried about after I give birth as it is really meant to shed then grin

snortwithmirth Fri 08-Jul-11 15:39:18

Ooh thanks for the answers!
Yes it was falling out at an alarming (to me) rate before I was pregnant. I didn't expect to get pregnant as I thought I must have a hormone imbalance. It doesn't really bother me that I'm losing it, (I've got lots!) but just don't want to lose the pregnancy.
Might go back to Dr's and ask to have my iron levels checked.
Thanks again!

LilBB Fri 08-Jul-11 15:49:06

My hair is still falling out. I'm 12+5 now I'm not losing loads but still coming out. I put it down to having hyperemesis but I'm eating a bit more and its still coming out. My nails are growing at an alarming rate!! I've had my bloods done and iron level is actually really good.

vallinnapod Fri 08-Jul-11 17:11:08

Actually that is something I noticed too - nails growing very quickly but other body hair very slow to re-grow after waxing - a small positive!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Fri 08-Jul-11 19:00:46

Mine's falling out in clumps, but then has always fallen out a lot, I leave a trail of long red hairs everywhere I go! I've had no MS or other pregnancy related problems other than mild SPD so doubt it's hormonal. I know several people whose hair has started to fall out while pregnant though, one friend had a hat for a wedding and by the time the wedding came around it didn't fit as her hair was so much thinner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now