Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant for third time at 35

(16 Posts)
Alikersh Fri 08-Jul-11 11:25:57

The title says it all really, my 2 dc's are 10 & 5 and I'm about 7 weeks pg. My Gp has mentioned that there are more risks in pregnancy, all I know about is the higher risk of Downs - what else is there?
I had 2 fairly easy pregnancies, I was monitored for high bp & rhesus factor as I'm rh neg & had anti D injections after both births.
This was totally unplanned & the age gaps worry me too - my eldest starts high school next year! Right now I'm veering between terrified & chuffed...

mopsytop Fri 08-Jul-11 11:28:18

I wouldn't worry. I know plenty of people who had second and third kids when 35 or older and it didn't seem to be a problem. There is statistically a higher risk of various things the older you get but I don't think it's massive. I am 33 and only pregnant with my first! I think pregnancy is always a worrying time but I am sure it will be fine. How has it worked out with the age gap between your current two? IT will be the same now between your second and third. I am sure it will be fine - Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy!

mumblebum Fri 08-Jul-11 11:36:43

I'm 36, number 3 was due yesterday (waiting impatiently), and my dc are 8 and 4. Neither the mw or the consultant (I'm seeing due to previous cs) have even mentioned my age. I think 35 is a bit of a cusp where certain risks, like downs, start to increase. It's really not desperately old though. This pg has been fine really.

Alikersh Fri 08-Jul-11 11:44:36

Come to think of it the age gap worked out fine between my 2, Ds could understand lot more about what was going on when his baby sister was born & we had alot less jealousy & tantrums than we expected.
Thanks for the congrats mopsytop & good luck mumblebum!

mopsytop Fri 08-Jul-11 12:05:51

I bet it will be great - your 10yo will love getting to know his little sibling and 5 yo old enough to understand too and will prob be thrilled to be having a baby sibling. I know my 5yo niece LOVES babies. It's really exciting!

BonzaBlue Fri 08-Jul-11 12:21:17

I am 38 - and pregnant with my 3rd baby too. DD is 11 and DS is 9 so big age gaps too. We have just had our results back and we are in a very low risk group. So all can be well - although I have given away / sold all but the very precious of my baby stuff !

Congratulations!

Boosaphena Fri 08-Jul-11 12:21:35

Congrats!
I'm 32 and expecting dc3. My others are 3 and 1... It's a while heap of other concerns there!! where I live the average age of the first time mum is 38... All my friends seem to cope pretty well, I don't think any of them had any issues.
I think it sounds like a lovely age gap... I hope you get to enjoy your pregnancy.

brettgirl2 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:27:51

I thought that these days you weren't classified as an older mother until 38. The risk of downs is still pretty low in the scheme of things. I really dont think 35 is old but was way too young at 25! I'll be 34 when I have 2nd.

harassedandherbug Fri 08-Jul-11 12:29:17

I was 36 when I had dd, and she's just perfect!

I have big age gaps though (22, 20 & 5) so found the pregnancy a bit more tiring tbh.

I'm 40 now and 16 wks preg with dc4. We decided not to have the nuchal fold/blood tests done (didn't with dd either) as figured it wouldn't be a great result given my age. I prob wouldn't have had further tests due to the risk of mc (I've had two this year anyway!), and it certainly wouldn't have prevented us from continuing with the preg anyway. Otherwise, as before, it's just the tiredness! Oh and bump showing from quite early on.

Good luck! Enjoy your pregnancy.

wigglesrock Fri 08-Jul-11 13:23:19

I am 37 and had dd3 5 months ago, I wasn't classified as an older mother and had no tests, just 12 and 20 week scan. I was much sicker but that was it. I made a joke about being an older mum to one of the midwives when I was pregnant and she told me I was nowhere near being classified as an "older mum". Congratulations grin

edwinbear Fri 08-Jul-11 20:25:12

I'm 36 and expecting DC2 in November. I've had appointments with NHS midwives and private midwives and NHS and private consultants and not one has even mentioned my age. My nuchal came back 1 in 850 and so far, so good. I'm sure everything will be fine, good luck and congratulations!

franke Fri 08-Jul-11 20:31:14

Sheesh, I was 35 when I had my first (perfectly healthy) baby grin Had my 3rd (perfectly healthy) baby at 40. Yes the risks for certain conditions start to increase with age, but they're still not a massive risk - I think for me at 40, the Downs risk was 1%. I think your doctor is being a bit of a merchant of doom. Congratuations btw smile

del1 Fri 08-Jul-11 21:23:32

I am 34 with my 3rd and will have 3 under 3's.
I never even thought of the age thing untill now. ( still stuck at the age of 25 ) Mine have been healthy so far, and the tests for downs came back low risk with this one.
I think the age gap between your other two will probably make things easier? They will be able to feed themselves, get themselves dressed and help out a bit.
My sister had bigger age gaps, and finds it a bit easier.
She gives me pittying looks, when I am still picking up my two, helping them to feed and dealing with toddler tantrims etc. ( whilst waddling around after them, out of breath) grin

lovesicecream Sat 09-Jul-11 00:36:52

Congratulations! I have 8 years between each of mine, 16 , 8 and 16 weeks I'm 7 weeks pg with my 4 th at 33, the age difference works realy well with mine, they both love helping with the baby

madhattershouse Sat 09-Jul-11 00:40:07

I was 34 with my 4th ( less than 2 years after my twins were born). The risks are given as greater but in reality they are still pretty small! Good luck.

thegingerone Sun 10-Jul-11 21:42:01

I'm also 35. 21 weeks pg with number 3. ds 1 is almost 8 and ds2 is 4.5. My risk of Downs is lowest this time. I feel great!! (Horrid ms aside for the first three months!!) My best mummy friends (with other 8 years olds) were all older than me when they had their first babies. I don't feel very old. My mid wife thinks I'm young (ish) because I'm a healthy non smoker with a good BMI! My dcs are very excited! While they watched telly played hmm I had a nap on the sofa after picking them up form school on Thurs cos I'd had a knackering day at work!!! Can't imagine I'd be able to do that if they were toddlers still!!! I say EMBRACE the age gap!!! I'm also the sister of a 25 yr old myself and the age gap between us worked out fine too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now