Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gum disease... prem babies?

(5 Posts)
kri5ty Fri 08-Jul-11 09:54:46

Hi

i have a realllly low immune system, and i was starting with gum disease before i got preg, now its got worse
I am back at the dentist next month, but all he has done the past 2 times is give me mouthwash.. which has done nothing at all

Im just worried due to the relation with gum disease and prem babies... anyone had any experience?

silverangel Fri 08-Jul-11 11:30:38

Hi, I have never heard there is a correlation between the two but I have had heavily bleeding gums. Dentist said it was normal, should clear up after birth, and to continue with normal hygiene routine ie don't brush less because of the blood. I floss every day anyway and have been using corsodyl but it doesn't seem to have made a difference!

lolajane2009 Fri 08-Jul-11 11:36:05

i think the link is between prem babies and periodontal disease.

Grumpystiltskin Fri 08-Jul-11 16:05:01

There is lots of research to say gum disease can delay conception, just google it for stacks of articles from many sources. It stands to reason that if you introduce bacteria into your blood all day from infected gums (bacteraemia) that things won't work as well as they would if you don't. By "you" I don't mean anyone on here I mean "you" third person. I would ask for an appointment with the hygienist for a really good clean and a lesson on maintenance.

I am a dentist btw.

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Jul-11 16:07:08

i read the thing about prem babies and gum disease and IMO there didn't seem to be any really clear cause and effect going on

you could argue that those people who are less healthy (and thus more prone to gum disease) are more prone to having a prem baby because of it

i wouldn't worry unnecessarily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now