Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Were you booked for elective section but labour started before it?

(7 Posts)
ManyMomentsOfMadness Thu 07-Jul-11 21:36:26

I am booked for a section in 3 weeks but just keep thinking (esp tonight!) that I'm going to go into labour early confused.
Has this happened to you? What did you do, did you still get section?

Furball Fri 08-Jul-11 06:54:25

This happened to me. They told me they couldn't fit me in for 3 weeks at my last appointment.

That night my waters broke.

I went straight into the hospital, nothing happened labour wise after my waters broke, and I had the op first thing the next morning.

Furball Fri 08-Jul-11 06:55:27

I will say though - I had to have a section due to a medical condition, so I couldn't have a natural birth anyway.

redundant Fri 08-Jul-11 10:02:11

I am also stressing slightly about this! Mine isn't a medical need as such (had previous C sect last time) and I think it would be handy from my consultant's POV if I had to end up VBACing! They have written on my notes that if I go into spontaneous/early labour that I would still like to have an ELCS but not sure how much weight that will actually carry on the day, plus obv they do have to fit EMCSs in first etc.

Hope you get the delivery you want - I can only suggest going to hosp as soon as you think you're in labour.

ManyMomentsOfMadness Fri 08-Jul-11 22:23:23

Thanks everyone.
I didn't go into labour last night or today for that matter so probably worrying/wondering for no reason.
I had a 4th degree tear with DS1 and hence I opted for CS this time but not sure what I will do or even if I will be given a choice if I started early.

Fleecy Fri 08-Jul-11 23:18:40

This happened to my sister - she had a 4th deg tear first time round so was booked in for a section at 39 wks but went into labour at 38 wks. She went up to the hospital but labour was very quick and she ended up having the baby just after signing the consent forms for the section!

She had another 4th degree tear but is healing well with a little physio support and is actually glad it went the way it did. She was never 100% convinced about having a section.

I have a slight rectal prolapse and have been booked in for a section at 39 weeks myself - DC1 was 3 wks early, DC2 4 days late so I was wondering the same thing!

poppysocks Fri 08-Jul-11 23:37:21

This happened to me. DD1 was induced and undiagnosed breech. It was all rather traumatic and I had scar problems, but nothing terrible so I was offered a CS but they would have supported a VBAC with plenty of monitoring.

After excessive umming and ahhing I opted for a CS, booked for 39+1. As DD1 was so overdue it didn't even occur to me to prepare childcare etc. for an earlier delivery and when my waters went at 38+4 I was convinced (and mortified) that I had wet myself blush.

Anyway, the hospital were great. They gave me a choice - go straight ahead with a CS or see how things progress and perhaps opt for a VBAC. The only thing was that they wouldn't let me leave so I couldn't get back to DD1 to prepare her for what was going on and my brother had a rather difficult evening with a rather confused 2 year old sad.

By the evening, labour wasn't really progressing but was sore enough that I wasn't going to get any sleep and couldn't go home so I decided to go ahead with CS. There were a couple of false starts when more pressing situations arose (including triplets shock) but I ended up having the most wonderful, calm CS that healed a lot of the trauma of DD1's birth.

I feel that it was the best of both worlds. I know DD2 was ready to arrive, but it was calm, peaceful and happy.

The only disadvantage (and this is nit-picking) is that because it was a weekend night, the lovely consultant who'd looked after me throughout wasn't available to deliver DD2. But that really is nit-picking winkgrin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now