Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fresh pineapple works - sort of

(7 Posts)
Badgerwife Thu 07-Jul-11 13:53:07

I thought it was a myth but I had fresh pineapple yesterday to try and trigger labour and my word, did it work, in a sort of half-arsed horrible way.

Within 20 minutes of eating the pineapple, I started to get really bad cramps at the top of the bump, which amplified until I had to do the proper breathing exercises and focus on the pain like they teach you in antenatal class. Basically intense sharp pain, like I would imagine contractions to be, apart from: without a break for one and a half hours. And then nothing. That was it, I had dinner once I'd recovered and not a peep since.

Has anyone had anything like this before? I didn't even think pineapple would be that potent. But I was freaked out because I was in pain non-stop and I sort of hope that I get a bit of a break between contractions when the real deal actually starts.

CBear6 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:43:59

I don't think it works. I'm craving fresh pineapple and eating loads of it with no ill effects, I think if it could induce labour they'd warn against eating it before x-number of weeks gestation.

Hopefully though you'll be meeting your little one soon smile

KittyChat Thu 07-Jul-11 15:22:58

I heard you have to eat eight pineapples, including the skin and the leaves, to even begin to produce enough bromelain or whatever it is.

However, I am due this week so might toddle down to the market and buy just one ... can't hurt and it's better than cake.

kathpeak Thu 07-Jul-11 15:26:40

It didn't work for me... I went 12 days over with my dd despite pineapple, curries and driving over bumpy roads.
It sounds like your pineapple gave you some extreme heartburn. I had something similar and after 3 hours I went to the doc who gave me an injection of an anti-spasmodic to stop the cramping that the heartburn gave me.

Badgerwife Thu 07-Jul-11 15:35:52

I'd heard the exact same thing, which is why I was a bit freaked by the reaction, I hadn't expected to feel anything at all!!

Kathpeak it didn't feel like heartburn at all but you might well still be right. It obviously wasn't labour, as I'm still here with no lasting effects

I don't think I'll be touching pineapple again any time soon though, tasty as it was...

lolajane2009 Thu 07-Jul-11 15:40:18

from what i can work out, none of these things work and the baby will come when the baby comes.

theonlyhb2 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:06:25

I been eating fresh pineapple since I found out I was pregnant.......34 weeks and no labour yet! nothing works to bring on labour, baby will come out when its ready!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now