Advanced search

Travelling and insurance

(12 Posts)
lookout Thu 07-Jul-11 12:50:20

I am 24 weeks and due to go away around the 25 week mark. We are going to France, staying with my parents then in-laws for a total of 5 weeks. I am applying for a European Health Insurance Card but my GP said it is really important I get travel insurance as well. Why? We are driving btw, no planes involved. What's anyone else doing?

silverangel Thu 07-Jul-11 13:01:18

I never travel without insurance as well - I go to france about three or four times a year. The EHIC will cover you if something happens that you need treatment for but if you went into early labour with the following stay in SCBU it wouldnt cover expenses or anything while you stayed in the country, think insurance may do depending on your policy. Also, if you broke your leg or something like that you wouldnt be repatriated. Wouldn't fancy a long drive with a broken leg!

As you will be around 30 weeks by the time you travel back do you need a fit to travel note if you are going by ferry. Form memory eurostar is ok to 36 or 37...

benne81 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:04:54

definitiely get travel insurance everytime you travel . The EHIC doesn't cover you for everything and sometimes only entitles you to a discount. I think you also have to pay up front and then apply for reimbursement when back in the UK. For the sake of £30 odd it is not worth running the risk (especially not if you are in the third trimester) More info on EHIC at

lookout Thu 07-Jul-11 13:32:06

Ok, have been looking at travel insurance and I can't find one that would cover me as I won't be back in the UK in time. Some don't cover pregnancy related stuff at all, and others stipulate that I must be returning no later than 16 weeks before my due date. It'll be only just 8. Can you tell me who you're insure with during pregnancy?

OptomisticBiscuit Thu 07-Jul-11 13:48:29

Hi, I'm in France now for a stay of over a month at 26 weeks and I looked into this carefully before I left - I insured with Virgin travel insurance in the end, they will cover you up to the full 40 weeks and included all the things I was worried about, but make sure you give them a call and tell them you are pg and answer any questions they have about existing conditions so you can be sure you are covered properly.

YBR Thu 07-Jul-11 13:49:27

Try asking a broker in person - there may be one on your high street. This worked for me as we left it to late and had to get travel insurance at short notice (hadn't twigged that in Guernesy EHIC does not apply and the reciprocal agreement with the NHS had ended). They were able to sort something without needing the paperwork most companies required.

lookout Thu 07-Jul-11 14:43:00

Thanks both for the advice. Will check out Virgin online and give them a call.

chinateacup Thu 07-Jul-11 23:56:07

Insure & Go. They cover baby too. I looked on line then called them as I had a couple of qns and they were brilliant. (Am off to Europe next week returning@34+weeks)

bennybenbear Fri 08-Jul-11 12:33:30

I recommend Insure and Go. Not pregnancy related but I had to claim through them when my ex had an accident skiing.

The EHIC card didn't kick in until you are in the hospital so when stuck up a mountain over 2 hours away you need other help! All ambulances, local medical centres and associated treatments have to paid for up front mostly. We had to stop at the ambulance station on the way to the hospital so I could pay for it on my credit card! I also had to pay each time he had a shot of morphine!

I called Insure and Go on the way to the hospital and they were brilliant, so reassuring and sorted everything out for us with regards to transfers and flights home. We were also able to fully reclaim the cost of both his and my holiday. They were one of the cheapest for that holiday but the service was fab.

lookout Fri 08-Jul-11 16:33:09

Have looked at both and am torn! I am still questioning the necessity if I'm honest. I'm staying with family the whole time so will have someone to drive me to hospital if I need to, we're in the countryside so no skiing or accidents are likely to happen and the EHIC seems to cover everything I would need it to. Am I misunderstanding something?

chinateacup Mon 11-Jul-11 22:23:03

I don't think the EHIC would cover your baby or you for emergency repatriation if required. Maybe I've missed something and should have asked that qn before parting with my cash!

lookout Tue 12-Jul-11 14:16:00

I am just gonna go for it. I can't see why I would need emergency repatriation, we're staying with family for the whole five weeks, but for peace of mind it's worth spending the 20 odd quid it costs. Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: