Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smoking and Drinking during pregnancy

(27 Posts)
Niamhcgriffin Thu 07-Jul-11 11:16:02

I am unconvinced that reasonable smoking and drinking during pregnancy affects the health of your unborn child.
There is a lot of research that backs me up on this.

Has any one had a similar experience during their pregnancy and would be willing to talk to me about it?

Thanks xx

Niamhcgriffin Thu 07-Jul-11 11:16:32

I am unconvinced that reasonable smoking and drinking during pregnancy affects the health of your unborn child.
There is a lot of research that backs me up on this.

Has any one had a similar experience during their pregnancy and would be willing to talk to me about it?

Thanks xx

clarinsgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 11:17:06

What research?

BeerTricksPotter Thu 07-Jul-11 11:25:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crosshair Thu 07-Jul-11 11:26:19

My friends, friends mum!

Niamhcgriffin Thu 07-Jul-11 11:31:13

Hi Crosshair- Really and she stand's by her decision... do you think she would be willing to talk to me?? xx

mopsytop Thu 07-Jul-11 11:35:50

I think reasonable drinking (i.e. no more than 2 units a week) is more likely to be okay than smoking. Any smoking can be bad for your unborn child, afaik.

Crosshair Thu 07-Jul-11 11:36:25

Oh sorry I was referring to the comment above about anecdotes. You get lots of those on here. My best friends, half cousin did lick a dragon and her child is now in the top set at school and super healthy, she also did some crack but she swears by the dragon.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 07-Jul-11 11:37:49

Lol

clarinsgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 11:40:56

As Beertrickspotter says, you will be able to find people who drank and smoked during pregnancy with no 'problems', but this is not data. WHO and many medical bodies have done endless research and concluded that drinking below 2 units a week is unlikely to harm your baby but that smoking at all carries significant risks. Ultimately it is completely up to you whether or not you smoke and drink whilst pregnant, but do it in the knowledge that it carries significant risks and don't fool yourself that anecdotal evidence means it's not dangerous.

AllTheYoungDoods Thu 07-Jul-11 11:47:41

"would be willing to talk to me about it?"

Do you need to be HERE ?

MadYoungCatLady Thu 07-Jul-11 12:04:09

babyonbord Thu 07-Jul-11 12:36:44

I think if there's an associated risk which there quite clearly is whether agree or not, if you can't stop smoking and drinking for a mere nine months for the sake of your baby then you don't really deserve to be a mother. Every time you smoke you are depriving your baby of oxygen. Smoking doesn't just cause potential health problems for your baby in later life but it can cause dvts, premature birth, low birth weight, cot death, still birth, bleeding, placental abrubtion and there is a strong link between mothers who smoked and babies born with a cleft lip/palate. I know someone who drank moderatly throughout her pregnancy and her child was born at 28 weeks and suffers from a very servere form of fetal alcohol syndrome, i think it is always better to be safe rather than sorry i'm sure some people do manage to get away with it and have a healthy baby but is it really worth the risk.

TopazMortmain Thu 07-Jul-11 13:18:43

Anyone else think this thread smells fishy? Like a journalist fish? hmm

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 07-Jul-11 13:24:37

yes, hence the LOL further up thread.

TopazMortmain Thu 07-Jul-11 13:26:15

Thanks Funny - I am on my phone and link did not work blush

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Jul-11 13:26:53

mummymccar Thu 07-Jul-11 13:36:54

I really wouldn't recommend it. A friend smoked through her pregnancy, just a couple a day and her son now has bad asthma. The doctors have said that the two were directly related. Is it worth risking your baby's health for?

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 07-Jul-11 13:58:15

do you know what TSC so did I and my 10 kids are all fine........

KittyChat Thu 07-Jul-11 15:45:04

If you are a journalist this story has been done recently.

But if you were a journalist you would know that 'stands' does not need an apostrophe.

cowboylover Thu 07-Jul-11 19:57:18

A close friend of mine was pregnant 3 months before me and we made very different lifestyle decisions through our pregnancies. I tried to do everything I could for the good of my DD following every guideline I was given and my friend still smoked, drank and ate unhealthy food.

It has not been confirmed what went wrong but she had a still birth at 26 weeks, we are all devastated and she now wishes she made different choices and maybe, just maybe she would have been holding her DD now as I am.

JimmyChoo17 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:18:23

Why don't u try it and then u can talk to your child in years to come on their opinion on you making that decision for them? There is no such thing as reasonable smoking pregnant or not. Know plenty of prem babies born to smokers.

Could be someone from the news of the world as their journos have more time on their hands now.....

PatriciaHolm Thu 07-Jul-11 21:27:54

This wouldn't be you, would it, Niamh?

If you are a journo, you need to get yourself over the the media requests page, and pay Mumsnet for these leads.

JimmyChoo17 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:38:06

BUSTED!

I read that link posted above about the woman who was doing her baby a favour by smoking 4500 fags whilst pregnant. What a complete twunt....mind u there are plenty of heavily women chain-smoking outside the maternity doing that. Soul destroying when you are walking out after a loss....

outthere Thu 07-Jul-11 22:06:59

JimmyChoo - Did you read the comments after the article? Sadly her DD ended up in intensive care shortly after the interview. Obviously we don't know why but even the possibility that it could be to do with the smoking is enough to put me off.

Even more alarmingly, I looked at her FB page (which is how the info came to light) and she now seems to be selling an awful lot of 12-18 month old baby clothes (and I'm pretty sure her DD would still be younger than this). I REALLY hope I'm just jumping to nasty conclusions... sad sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now