Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did anyone go into labour soon after having a first sweep? If so how long was it?

(6 Posts)
NewMummy5July2011 Thu 07-Jul-11 07:55:47

Hi

Just wondering how many of you ladies went into labour soon after having a first sweep? I'm 40 + 2 and am booked in for Sunday morning, at 40+5 - do they usually work quite quickly or do people usually need more than one?

I've heard different things about them too - are they painful or just uncomfortable?

Thanks

gapants Thu 07-Jul-11 08:01:02

I went into labour the next evening. Exciting!

When I had my sweep though I was already about 1cm dilated, but did not realise.

EveryonesJealousOfGingers Thu 07-Jul-11 08:12:43

I had a sweep at 2.30pm at 41wks, period type pains as i walked home, and contractions were 20mins apart by 7.30pm. It didn't hurt me at all. Good luck!

prolificwillybreeder Thu 07-Jul-11 09:10:12

I had one which hurt a lot! I'm sure she did it right tbh as when my mw did one the next day I actually felt it come forward IYSWIM? It didn't hurt half as much.
She also told me that you can ask for them to do it with your legs up but to the side so it is more comfortable.
I went into labour the next day but I was contracting when I saw my mw.

Sarahplane Thu 07-Jul-11 10:27:19

I had a sweep and prostaglandin gel at about 4 in the afternoon. Having pains in the hospital but told they weren't contractions. Tried to sleep that night after taking Paracetamol. Waters broke at 3.15am and immediately I was having contractions every 3mins. Dd born at 7.09am so all pretty quick. How exciting. Your so close now. Good luck.

NewMummy5July2011 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:16:47

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've had a show today as well so hoping things get moving even before the sweep, but fingers crossed it works quickly if not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now