Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD

(9 Posts)
MsEwe Wed 06-Jul-11 20:41:06

What can i do to ease the pain when tablets dont touch the pain?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 06-Jul-11 20:45:30

I seem to remember a warm bath helped me a bit. Used to have to get dh to help me out of it though. Poor you sad It's horrible, isn't it. Are you seeing a physio? You should be able to get some gentle exercises/repositioning help prior to birth, and support belts etc.

MsEwe Wed 06-Jul-11 20:48:17

It has just started this week. This is my second pg and i had it with the first. I dont know if i should call the midwife, go to the gp or wait til the 4th Auguest and see the consultant.

I think i will try the bath. It hurts so much already and there is 5 months to go yet sad

Imnotaslimjim Wed 06-Jul-11 20:52:55

There is quite a lot you can do. Whydobirds has mentioned physio, support belts etc. If it gets very bad you will be offered crutches. Get yourself a couple of extra pillows and sleep sat up with the pillows under your knees, locking your hips does help reduce the pain.

Core exercises, and pelvic floor exercises will help strengthen the area. Other than that, and heat applied to the most painful areas, there isn't anything that can be done to help it. oh, have you asked for better painkillers? You have to see the consultant to get it originally, but once you've had the first lot, you can get it from the dr (they generally give codeine, but if you have issues with them, they can prescribe tramadol) how long do you have left?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 06-Jul-11 20:54:12

oops, cross post. Get reffered for physio as soon as possible. The sooner you get the exercises and support belts, the lower the risk of it getting worse

MsEwe Wed 06-Jul-11 20:55:29

5 months, due date 5/12 sad

I got it at 28 weeks with my first, i'm shocked its started at 18 weeks.

I think i'm panicing because i know its going to get worse.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 06-Jul-11 20:58:51

Phone your midwife as soon as you can, and get her to refer you to the physio. I would not have coped in my last pregnancy without the physio, and support belts etc.
You should also be able to get the midwife to come to you for your antenatal appointments if you can't get there cos of the pain.

MsEwe Wed 06-Jul-11 21:08:09

Thank you i will call MW in the morning.

jamama Wed 06-Jul-11 22:07:09

Do whatever you can to get seen asap. Last week I started to get some pain in my pubic symphysis (I'm now 22+5). My mw didn't answer her phone or respond to my voicemail, so I called for a same-day appt with my GP surgery next morning. By the time I got there I was getting frazzled at thoughts of another 18+weeks of worsening pain, and did end up in tears. GP was very helpful, assessed my pain by pushing on the pubis in various ways, and faxed off a referral to the physio straight away. She also advised that I start swimming immediately. I left (still sniffling) and had a call back from the AN physio clinic same day, and am due to go in week after next. So PLEASE go asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now