Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ABSOLUTLEY PETRIFIED

(12 Posts)
xkatyx Wed 06-Jul-11 16:36:41

hi everyone

I'm expecting twins this os my fourth pregnancy and all others where normal deliveries.

Even though I knew it was going to happen I spoke to consultant today and even though I'm 12 weeks I want to be prepared and asked what kind of delivery I was expecting and of course a c- section but could try for normal delivery but there is alot of risks involved.

I'm honestly petrified of a c-section not just a lilttle nervous it honestly os my worst nightmare I suffer from panic attacks as it is I'm just so scared I'll panic on the table and just scream.

Lilagemm Wed 06-Jul-11 16:41:05

I had an emergency c section with my first and to be honest you dont really feel anything apart from some slight tugging. Or atleast I didnt.

I hope this helps atleast a little. smile X

KatyN Wed 06-Jul-11 16:51:59

I have suffered from panic attacks in the past and did some work with a guy talking about what would happen if I panicked.

So you are lying on a hosital bed screaming. Nothing's giong to happen to you. yes it might be a bit noisy for all the people in the room but they won't leave you or ignore you, or anything else... [if this sounds daft.. it's about thinking what the 'end' of your panic attack is.. mine was dying. So I'm be so anxious I'd die and be eaten by dogs. Quite unlikely when you are in M+S buying a sandwich!]

Also I'd suggest talking to your MW, friends, anyone who's ever been in hospital for the worst stories they have heard of people. I bet many many people have screamed their way through local anestethics before so you won't be the first or the last!

(I also read somewhere that if the baby needs to get out REALLY fast they give you a general not a local.. think could be something else to mention to your consultant).

good luck,
katy

silverangel Wed 06-Jul-11 17:20:56

Hi Katy,

Congratualtions firstly!

Do you know what sort of twins you are expecting? If they are non idetical there is no reason to not go for a vaginal delivery as long as twin 1 is in the correct position. I am expecting MCDA twins and no way I will be allowed to deliver vaginally - am getting my c-section date next week.

Would the fact that it will be an elective and not emergency section make it any easier for you?

buttonmoon78 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:31:16

For very different reasons I've been agonising over a section for months now. I think it's going to be an elcs on Friday 15th. I've made my peace with that now but it's been a long time coming as I've had 3 normal deliveries and bounced right back.

If I remember when I get back onto MN I shall tell you how it's gone - might help a little with your anxiety?

mummymccar Wed 06-Jul-11 17:39:13

My friend was in your position a couple if years ago. Twins, terrified of cs. She opted for vaginal delivery but the twins got into distress a couple of weeks before dd and had to be delivered through ecs. She was hysterical until she got into the room, realised that she couldn't feel anything anyway, and the next thing she knew she heard one of the girls screaming. When she heard that she said she couldn't think about anything else, just her babies and she was fine for the rest. Afterwards she said that if she had another she'd go elective! So try not to worry too much, you'll probably find that it's ok once it starts. Good luck xxx

xkatyx Wed 06-Jul-11 18:32:40

Thank u everyone.

Babies are identical in diffrent sac but same placenta I think that is also MCDA? It's all new to me.

I don't think it's the pain I'm worried about its more the thought of lying there whist they do it. When I have my panic attacks I feel like I can't breath and that's the last thing I want to be doing whilst having a c- section

thejaffacakesareonme Wed 06-Jul-11 19:07:22

If it helps, in our hospital they had a cd player and would play music of your choice when the baby was being born. I didn't have any cds with me and so we had the radio on in the background. It helped me to focus on the music.

Eviepoo Wed 06-Jul-11 19:29:39

I can't add much other than to say I do understand your fear. I'm trying to work out why I am afraid of a c section so I can deal with that just in case I need one. In your case it seems like your fear is lying there knowing you are being cut etc. I can relate to this. I just keep saying to myself 'if I need a CS it's because it's best for my baby, therefore I will do what's best, DH will be with me to talk to me and hold my hand'. That way I am focusing on the outcome.
I assume your DP/DH knows of your fear and can work on a plan of calming distraction with you in advance. I have a plan to picture my DD holding her new sibling in my mind.
Would any ideas like this work for you?

xkatyx Wed 06-Jul-11 19:31:58

Thank you all very much, the ideas ate brilliant .

I have had a good dew friends telling me it goes quick and by the time u see your babies they stitch you up and it's done. I'll focus on that also knowing i won't be in there for hours.

I can't wait to see both babies I think having twins will make it all that little bit more exciting smile

BaldricksTurnip Wed 06-Jul-11 19:44:16

Hi there. I've also suffered badly with panic and anxiety, especially when I was younger. So far I've had two natural deliveries with both of my big (9lb 12oz DS's) and hopefully same this time around. However, both previous labours I had to be induced which meant staying in the hospital without my partner overnight before and after the births, staying away from home being for me a major trigger for a panic attack. I can honestly say that both times, I was so absorbed by what was happening with the labour and how it felt and also concern for the baby, that I didn't give anxiety a second thought. In my experience, anxiety and panic are pre-emptive emotions and when you are actually immersed in a situation, completely vanish. The thought of going through a CS is, I'm sure, much more anxiety inducing than the reality of actually doing it, when you'll be surrounded by people who are there to help and support you. Also, I'm sure you'll be so excited to meet your babies, that Mummy is way down on the list of priorities in your mind! Good luck and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine smile

Catsycat Wed 06-Jul-11 22:01:38

Hi, I have no experience of twins, but I have had two emergency C-sections despite having quite a bad phobia regarding medical procedures.

I had hypnotherapy while pregnant, as I was terrified of even going into hospital (DD1 was planned as a waterbirth at home). I have found hypnotherapy really helpful with both my children, and my gallbladder removal many years earlier! I used to cry and panic when anyone took a blood test - after a couple of sessions I sat there laughing while a junior doctor gouged me in the arm for 10 minutes trying to find a vein!!! To be honest how I react depends how tired, stressed etc I am, but is nowhere near as bad as I used to be (3 days of constant panic attacks on a hopital ward was what prompted me to seek help originally).

At our antenatal classes with DD1, I burst into tears and ran out of the room when we discussed CS, so I can totally understand anyone being worried about it. Again, that was what prompted me to seek help toward the end of my pregnancy (about 35 weeks). The therapist made me a tape of the relaxation sessions we did, so I could listen to them on my MP3 player in hospital, which worked well for me. She also helped me explore exactly what it was I was afraid of, and gave me strategies to cope with that.

Actually, I found CS isn't that bad. I had the screen up, and could see nothing of what was going on, and just felt a bit of pressure rather than pain. With DD1 it was very quick, and I soon heard her crying and got to see her, and then I wasn't bothered what they were doing. With DD2 (had hoped for VBAC) it took longer as I had a lot of scar tissue to get round, but the staff in the OR were lovely and chatted to me, and to be honest I actually slept through some of the op. The second time, I went to theatre about 9.30, was in recovery around 11.30, back on the ward around 1pm, and walking down to the day room to make myself a cup of tea at around 10pm, home after 2 nights in hospital. Possibly the worst bit was that both times I'd been attempting to go into labour / give birth for 2 or 3 days / nights before the CS, so was really tired and feeling rough before the op, and therefore more tired afterwards than I might have been. If I'm lucky enough to have a next time, then I'll be having an elective CS.

If you do scream, then it won't be the first time they've heard it, I'd imagine, and if you panic then there will be people there to try and calm you down. I would discuss your fears with the hospital, maybe mention it in your notes / birth plan (I had "hospital phobia" with big asterisks on my notes) as well, so they can be prepared to help.

Good luck with whatever you decide. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now