Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does everyone feel ill for most of the pregnancy?

(17 Posts)
SybilBeddows Wed 06-Jul-11 12:14:01

sorry, I know it's a silly question.

I have 3 dcs, I had HG with all of them, though fortunately I got (and responded to anti-emetics) so I avoided hospital.

I have assumed that everyone felt shit from 6 weeks to the end of the pregnancy, just to a different degree, and the norm is just feeling a bit ill rather than very. Is this actually not the case? I mean, do some people feel actually well for some of it?

sorry I know this sounds really moany, it's not meant to, it's a genuine question blush

apples82 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:15:42

I am 25wks, and my second trimester has been lovely. I feel 'normal', occasionally wake up in the night with achy hips, and more frequent trips to the loo, but apart from that I feel great smile

Cattleprod Wed 06-Jul-11 12:29:22

I've been lucky and not had too much sickness, but find a lot of the time I have a general 'urgh' feeling, whether that is from nausea, bloating, heartburn, heaviness, tiredness etc.

I don't feel mentally healthy though, and I'm finding that harder to cope with. I feel like I'm doing something dangerous by being pregnant (no reason to feel this way, not high risk, have done it before etc) and have a lot of anxiety as a result of becoming pregnant soon after a mc.

Some people seem to sail through pregnancy with a healthy glow - I'm sure they have their own problems behind closed doors though.

WorzselMummage Wed 06-Jul-11 12:31:46

I felt like death warmed up all the way though my first pregnancy and completly normal for my second.

first was a Girl, second Boy. I know it's supposed to be an old wives take but most people I know have been so much sicker with Girls.

Bunbaker Wed 06-Jul-11 12:35:17

I'm sorry that pregnancy is such a trial for you and hope that you feel better soon.

This isn't what you want to hear, but I didn't feel unwell at all when I was pregnant, apart from a bout of gastroenteritis at 6 months. I had no morning sickness at all, but felt a little tireder than normal during the first few weeks. I guess you are just unlucky.

"Some people seem to sail through pregnancy with a healthy glow - I'm sure they have their own problems behind closed doors though."

Too true. I had an easy pregnancy and labour, BUT it took 17 years to get pregnant and I had a high risk pregnancy.

SybilBeddows Wed 06-Jul-11 12:40:36

thanks everyone.
I'm not pregnant now, just reflecting.

actually I would LOVE to hear that most people feel normal or well most of the time, I think one reason I still think about it even though my youngest is nearly 2 is the guilt I still carry from not having been able to fulfil my roles at work and home properly through my pregnancies. If not everyone is soldiering on and some people actually genuinely don't feel yucky, I feel less guilty. Plus of course I want everyone else to feel well not ill grin

(in some ways of course I was lucky not unlucky - though I felt ill I didn't have any of the conditions that either make it hard to get pregnant or endanger the baby, which makes me a lot better off than many women.)

nickelbabe Wed 06-Jul-11 12:41:11

sorry, Sybil - i haven't felt shit most of the time.

I felt sick and yucky to start with, but it magically wore off after 15 weeks.
i do keep having pains around my bump, but these have mostly turned out to be indgestion or needing a poo.

I have been feeling well for a couple of weeks (with the odd bout of urgh in between) but mostly well.
And I've had quite a lot of energy for 2 weeks, too.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Jul-11 12:41:22

(sorry, i'm 19 weeks now)

SybilBeddows Wed 06-Jul-11 12:44:52

grin
Nickelbabe - glad you feel good!

honestly! I want people to feel well! I am not mean and grudging! grin

nickelbabe Wed 06-Jul-11 12:47:39

i cross-posted with you! grin

i was apologising cos i thought you felt shit.

but now i know that you're not going through it, i'm not sorry at all grin

I do bellydancing, and 2 weeks ago, we were doing drills, and everyone was looking/acting all tired and groggy. the teacher said, "is everyone hot and tired, is it because we should open the doors?" and i went "i don't feel tired at all !" I was so happy cos it was the first time I'd felt not tired after 10 minutes!

MrsTittleMouse Wed 06-Jul-11 12:51:20

I felt awful for the duration.

My Mum had morning sickness, then "bloomed" in the second trimester, but felt a bit uncomfortable at the end when she was very big. Which I had always heard was the "normal" experience. She was astonished that I never had a stage when I felt great, but was very sympathetic.

My pregnancy book had a chapter called "month 5 - pregnant and loving it!". DH still teases me about my response to that one. grin

nickelbabe Wed 06-Jul-11 12:52:27

thankfully, the book i've got says "you are likely to be feeling better, but some women still feel sick and tired all the way through this trimester"

SybilBeddows Wed 06-Jul-11 12:54:11

rofl MrsTittlemouse. I would have thrown that one across the room.

I was always puzzled by surrogates - were they masochists? extreme altruists? But perhaps they're people who actually feel well when they're pg?!

Eviepoo Wed 06-Jul-11 15:49:15

I do feel crappy and have all the way through. Sickness, tiredness, reflux, swelling, carpal tunnel, dry skin, IBS, GD. Just glad I'm not had anything too serious. Told DH not again.

I felt/was sick with DD 12 years ago but not like this.

My lovely mum said 'that's cos you are old this time'

I'm 34

emmazed Wed 06-Jul-11 16:09:54

i am sorry for you guys who feel bad.

i am 27 weeks and feel great. i have had heartburn a couple of times, and leg cramps once, and a million wees a day, but i actually feel in myself really good. i somehow feel that things are more achievable, and some of the things i have put off doing for ages i have now actully got around to. i am aware that it may all change, and there is a long way to go but so far so good!

RingEir Wed 06-Jul-11 16:22:06

I am 37 weeks (almost 39 yrs old) and I have felt great for most of the second and third trimester. Was very tired and a bit off for the first 4-18 weeks but nothing too dramatic.

flamegirl77 Wed 06-Jul-11 22:26:03

I've felt fine for most of the time (32 weeks) but I've been very lucky. I don't know how I would have coped if I'd had more serious side effects. I take my hat off to ladies who have to deal with HG, PGP or other nasties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now