Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Telling work - redundancy situation

(11 Posts)
NorthernGirlie Wed 06-Jul-11 09:15:24

Hi Ladies - hoping someone can help!

We've just found out I'm pregnant - very early days - 4+6 I think but we're over the moon. However - I've got a weird situation at work and not sure whether to tell them. I'll try to keep it brief!

I was put 'at risk of redundancy' and my current post was deleted. I applied for another job (same company so continuous service) amd got it. It's in another department. However - because of the redundancy the job offers are 'provisional' to allow time for others to appeal (awful situation - we basically had to go up against each other for jobs) and new contracts won't be issued until 31st July. The offer is 99% positive and I've already been asked to attend courses etc to do with the new job.

Question is - do I tell them about the baby now or wait until after the final decision?? If someone appeals and is given 'my' new job then I'm redundant as of 31st July! I'm going to be working for a woman I actually get on really well with but don't want to tell her if it's putting her in an awkward position!

Thanks

NGxx

tutu100 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:18:24

Don't tell them. Atm you have no need to (unless very sick or work puts your safety at risk). As you say it is early days, and the fact you are pregnant should make no difference to how your job finally ends up.

Congratulations with the pregnancy.

Renaissance227 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:21:21

Congratulations! smile
Don't tell them. I didn't tell work that early and I don't think anyone should no matter what the circumstances.

Renaissance227 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:21:43

P.S. Unless you're really sick/ill of course!

KatieWatie Wed 06-Jul-11 10:26:38

Congratulations about the baby, commiserations about the situation at work (similar thing going on at my place maybe we work for the same company!)

Don't tell them, you don't have to until 25 weeks anyway which puts you well into wintertime before you have to say anything smile

Good luck

Tangle Wed 06-Jul-11 10:32:15

Congrats on the pregnancy grin

I'd also not tell them yet unless you develop symptoms such that you need extra consideration. They are not, legally, allowed to consider pregnancy when determining redundancies, so I cannot see how telling them will be of advantage to anyone at this point in time.

You won't even have had a 12 week scan by the end of the month - I don't think anyone can really criticise you for not telling the world about a pregnancy while you're so early on. Get on with doing your job and showing you can do it well. Tell them when you feel ready.

Good luck - with work, and the pregnancy smile

edwinbear Wed 06-Jul-11 10:34:37

Personally, I probably would tell them. It's a very selfish motive, but if you do tell them, I would think they will be likely to think twice before rescinding your offer as you could potentially have a discrimination claim. But that's a very 'dog eat dog' view.

KatyN Wed 06-Jul-11 17:00:04

I'd ring citizne's advice for some advice!! they should be able to tell you whether it makes any differenec to the process you are already in (I know it makes a difference if you are pregnant but surely this process started before you were pregnant).
If it would make a differenec to the other lady appealing for your role.. then you can decide in the 'dog eat dog' world whether you want to behave like that (I think I probably would!!!) but if it doesn't make any difference you can hold off until you are a bit later on when you feel ready.
kt
congrats!

NorthernGirlie Wed 06-Jul-11 18:19:04

Thanks so much for the feedback - I'm going to try to keep it quiet for at least another few weeks. I feel guilty as I know my new manager quite well (we have the same friendship group within the establishment) and I know that if any of the friends find out then she will too and I don't want to appear under-hand! One to think about - thanks again! NGxx

NorthernGirlie Wed 06-Jul-11 18:27:29

P.S KatieWatie - I hope we don't work at the same place - wouldn't wish it on anyone! LOL! ;) x

louby86 Wed 06-Jul-11 22:56:45

Hi, I'd tell them to be honest. I'm a personnel manager for a massive multi-national company and know from previous similar situations pregnant colleagues have always come off better for telling people. I agree with the previous poster....it is a dog eat dog world unfortunately

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now