Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation. Advice please anyone?!?

(16 Posts)
foxylady1 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:45:15

Hello all. I'm about 7 weeks pg with #2 feeling huge and bloated and quite constipated.

Anyone got any advice to help the little situation?

Anyone in the same boat??

Crosshair Tue 05-Jul-11 21:47:52

I have a glass or 2 of apple or fresh orange juice everyday, I feel it helps things along.

AJH2007 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:35

I recommend a spoonful of linseed (get it at Holland & Barrett or one of those places) on top of your cereal in the morning. Works wonders!

sodthehousework Wed 06-Jul-11 09:21:10

Would also recommend linseeds! smile

H007 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:26:17

I heard that linseeds weren't recommended in pregnancy? And has been linked to pre-term labour I could be wrong.

I had this really bad, I increased eating of oats and fibre, plus had a glass of orange juice and increased the amount of water and it sorted itself out.

theonlyhb2 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:30:25

suppository! glycerin ones from boots. Instant relief

Stropperella Wed 06-Jul-11 09:32:51

I ate sackfuls of linseed (on cereal and in homemade flapjacks) during pregnancy and had to be induced both times because I was so overdue.

Poledra Wed 06-Jul-11 09:39:58

Liquorice. Allsorts will do, but you can also get some from your local health food shop. I'm not sure if it was the liquorice or just pregnancy that made me fart so much though..... I'd have made a cart-horse blush!

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Wed 06-Jul-11 09:43:51

3 dried apricots a day.

blossominlondon Wed 06-Jul-11 09:48:05

Foxylady, I know what you 're going through!
My 2nd pregnancy caused severe obstipation and even resulted in a bowel fissure that needed operation twice!!!! Sorry, don't mean to scare...
Good news is I'm now in my 3rd pregnancy and of course avoiding it at all cost. Things I do (that seem to work):

- glass of prune juice per day. (yes, it exists! Mix with water, is not the greatest taste!)
- lots of water and (herbal) tea. Just tell myself to drink at least one glass per hour.
- stay very active. Sometimes the 'urge' arrives after a good hour of walking.
- high fibre breakfast, either with dark brown bread, add a spoon of linseed to yoghurt, other high fibre cereal.

And, only in case I can't go on a certain day, I take three spoons of Lactulose before going to bed. I am now at a point where I don't wait anymore for day 2 or 3, but this of course depends on whether the other suggestions work or not and what your normal/regular pattern of bowel movement is and severity of the issue. (lactulose=over the counter and from what I understand it is pregnancy-safe. Perhaps good to double check with MW or GP.)

Renaissance227 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:48:23

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit. Cherries helped me!

AgBag Wed 06-Jul-11 10:41:50

Try fybogel, twice a day.
Also, dried fruit works really well for me. Dried prunes, dates, apricots, raisins.

Hope you are relieved soon!

Maitri Wed 06-Jul-11 10:53:14

I had this problem throughout pregnancy too. Tinned grapefruit worked for me most of the time but the best thing EVER was lactulose! I took it every Friday and Saturday in the last few weeks of pregnancy and by Sunday/Monday I was fine.

fullup Wed 06-Jul-11 11:10:30

Lactulose helps

MissMI5 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:29:29

Bran flakes for breakfast! they work very well for me!

notasausage Wed 06-Jul-11 12:44:25

Weetabix with strawberries and blueberries seem to be keeping things going at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now