Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife says ive to put on at least another stone?

(17 Posts)
jan2011 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:44:01

ok so the baby is measuring spot on for the dates - ive already gained a good few pounds and am at 28 weeks. everything going fine - yet the midwife tells me the last trimester is when i will gain the most weight and i have to put on at least another stone, that is her recommendation. i figured as long as i am eating healthy and the baby is growing fine then the weight would sort itself out? everyone is different. obviously i am eating healthy and i will gain more weight but i didn't like the pressure. anyone else experience pressure to gain weight? its not like my babys measurements are out, if it was i would understand more! now im freaked out about trying to gain so much weight that fast.

MollysChamber Tue 05-Jul-11 21:45:53

What utter nonsense!

Healthy diet, stay active, don't go hungry. And most of all don't worry about your weight!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 05-Jul-11 21:46:02

Don't stress, it'll come. Just do what you are doing, you will naturally eat a bit more because you will need the energy. Don't just go out and eat cake. smile

If your baby is growing well and you are feeling fine, just do what you were doing and it'll be fine.

foxylady1 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:51:13

Yep i did. I've always been a beanpole and struggled to put weight on but always felt and ate healthy. When i got pg with DD midwife was saying all the way through baby was measuring a bit small and i needed to eat more also got pressure from DH.
When DD was born she was a whopper at 8lb 3oz the midwives were stunned and said they thought she'd be 6lb and her legs must of been under my ribs (her ankles were quite turned when she was born which explains that).

I think as long as your eating well and feel happy don't worry about it. They aren't always right. Nice not to be told not to loose weight though wink.
Good luck

paddingtonbear1 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:51:33

What MollysChamber said.
I didn't put on tons of weight, a stone and a half in total I think. I was fairly active and ate normally. Noone mentioned it as a concern. Please don't worry smile

UKSky Tue 05-Jul-11 22:07:10

With the others here. Don't worry about it. The midwife should know better really. I was small all through my pregnancy and a lot of my customers didn't even notice I was pregnant until I told them I was off.

As long as you and baby are healthy that's all that matters.

KaraJS Tue 05-Jul-11 22:24:25

I had such bad sickness I weighed a stone less than before pg by the end but noone mentioned it

PrincessJenga Tue 05-Jul-11 22:29:49

Is there any chance she meant "you're likely to put on another stone" rather than "you need to put on another stone"? I was barely showing at 28 weeks, but now, at 36 I am HUMUNGOUS!
I agree with all the others though. Just eat well, and so long as you & baby are healthy then that's the most important thing.

sprinkles77 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:55:14

nonsense. maternal weight gain is not a good predictor of foetal growth. Eat what suits you, it can get hard to eat proper meals when you get bigger and the baby is taking up all your space, you have heart burn and can hardly breathe!

buttonmoon78 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:10:00

If she indeed said (and meant) that you need to put a stone on rathe rthan PrincessJenga's suggestion than she's talking twaddle.

If you are having a normal, varied, healthy with the obligatory cake a day diet then you'll be fine. I put on a little over a stone in total last time and ds was born at 7lb so hardly a tiddler.

HCPs can be a little throwaway in their comments and don't realise how much we dwell on every little word they say! For example, following a scan with dd1 I was told that the waters were a little on the low side - and that was it, no explanation, no follow up, nothing. Cue me spending the next 3 months expecting this California raisin style baby, all wrinkled and shrivelled. She was fine, waters soaked MW's shoes so they can't have been that low!

jan2011 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:18:23

i certainly got the impression that she wanted me to gain the recommended amount of weight! you are right we do hang on every word they say! but the baby is measuring just right for the dates. between 2 and lb. i am eating very well, lots of proteins fats calcium, i eat often throughout the day and am happy with things thanks for the helpful comments they really reassured me, i know i could put on a lot of weight from here in and am prepared for it but if i don't then i know the baby will be ok too i will keep doing what im doing smile

spookshowangel Wed 06-Jul-11 08:22:15

just make sure you are not going hungry and you should be fine.

buttonmoon78 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:38

You sound like a perfectly normal eater. Keep it up and all will be fine. If she makes a comment again, ask her why? After all, putting on too much weight is not good either so if you're listening to your body and giving it the fuel it needs why would you give it excess to simply store as fat and have to lose it later?

Good luck!

Sewmuchtodo Wed 06-Jul-11 13:07:21

I have been so sick I am now 13lb's lighter than I was at 12 weeks, I am 28+5 now.

Midwife has informed me that they think I should be 18-22lb heavier than I am now (I am hardly a tiny thing!!!). I feel ok so far and I am trying hard to keep extra food down but nothing seems to stop the nausea.

startail Wed 06-Jul-11 13:16:09

No idea what I weighed before or after I was pregnant, I thought they didn't care any morehmm

Cattleprod Wed 06-Jul-11 13:24:12

Yes - I was even given extra scans because my BMI was so low and they were concerned I wasn't putting on enough weight.

Baby was well over 10lb!!

KaraJS Wed 06-Jul-11 16:11:37

With my first I lost weight due to hg, only started putting weight on the last 10 weeks, can't remember how much but was half a stone heavier after he was born than when I got pg baby was over 11 lb, when the sickness was at it's worst the doc told me that baby takes all it needs from the mother , something about stored fat cells so I'd think if your eating sensibly, your baby is right size for dates etc it wouldn't really matter if you put another stone on or abit less or abit more, after all everyone is different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now