Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

no dp/ dh? Who is supporting you when you go into labour?

(7 Posts)
KidderminsterKate Tue 05-Jul-11 20:26:44

considering a doula but not sure of the costs.....or just going alone?

or a hippy homebirth??

anyne else in this predicament?

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 05-Jul-11 23:19:51

Hiya,

have you considered your mum / sister / best friend? Lots of people do this or alternativly having a Birth doula is very popular. I have been a birth doula for quite a few years now, so if you would like any info about us and what we do please feel free to get in touch. You can email me at Victoria@northlondondoulas or go through the site www.northlondondoulas.co.uk and i would be happy to answer any questions about costs etc and point you in the right direction.

Congrats and good luck.x

VioletV Tue 05-Jul-11 23:28:32

As I don't have a partner, my lovely mum is going to help me during labour. (God help us all) I'm scared!

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 05-Jul-11 23:38:26

Aww dont be scared! When i had my second daughter i really wamted the birth filmed so asked would my mum be willing to do it. She said yes and as my due date drew nearer and nearer i started to wonder if i had done the right thing as my mum is a gem, but she can be very assertive and opinionated and i feared she would get in the way and irritate me. But as it turned out none of the above happened and it was actually quite nice having her there with us.x

KidderminsterKate Wed 06-Jul-11 07:16:01

thanks......don't be scared though Violet!

I would use my mum but she will be looking after my other children as is the only person I can ask!

My sister doesnt live nearby but by that point will have a newborn of her own, plus she is v squeamish so not the best person

all my 'close' friends live all over the country/ abroad so a no goer

only know school mum friends and work colleagues round here so a no goer

choice is either a doula or alone.......tempted to go it alone tbh!

edwinbear Wed 06-Jul-11 10:46:00

My DH found the last one so upsetting he isn't coming to this one, so I have a private midwife as my birth partner instead. Frankly, I think she will be far more use than DH was!

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:38

I think its important you do what ever feels the most comfortable for you kate as the more relaxed and in control you are the better your birth experience will be. I think your way out of my catchment but if you would like any advice or someone to talk to you know where to find me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now