Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton hicks at 21 weeks - possible?

(10 Posts)
libranlady Tue 05-Jul-11 19:08:40

I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my third baby and for the last week I seem to be have been experiencing tightenings or practice contractions. There haven't been loads but I've noticed a few each day... I seem to remember with my second baby that I had them regularly from about 30 weeks or a bit before but this seems really early. confusedAm wondering if this is normal? Is anyone else on a second or subsequent pregnancy experiencing this?

NatzCNL Tue 05-Jul-11 19:13:01

I had this a few weeks ago and rang my midwife as I was worried - also 3rd pregnancy and didn't have Braxton Hicks at all with my other babies. She said that after the first pregnancy, it is normal to experience pains & tightenings much ealrier into the pregnancy. I was 26/27 weeks when I felt mine. Had a check at 27 weeks anyway and the community midwives rules out a UTI (as was having pains) and just reassured me all was normal.

Worth letting your midwife know at your next check up, or call them and let them know. I prefer to have everything documented just in case somebody else thinks it's not normal and wants to call me in - nurotic mummy here!! grin

libranlady Tue 05-Jul-11 20:08:24

Thanks Natz - not too worried actually as not at all painful, just somewhat surprised! Will speak to MW at next appointment I think...

Continuum Tue 05-Jul-11 20:15:31

I get the tightening thing but no pains if I've over exerted myself or if I'm dehydrated. So I got plenty after climbing lots of steps in Welsh castles when I was about 19 weeks!

Continuum Tue 05-Jul-11 20:16:27

Dehydrated and doing something physical even if it's just walking I should say.

Wallace Tue 05-Jul-11 20:18:50

When I had my 12 week scan (I was almost 15 weeks) the sonographer said I was having Braxton Hicks - I had been feeling them but hadn't known for certain because I thought it was too early.

mamaesi Tue 05-Jul-11 21:17:10

I am 18 weeks with second and have had a few so far. Just tightening and the womb sort of hardens...

it does not mean an early labour does it? i hope not!

lollystix Tue 05-Jul-11 22:31:06

Had them from 20 weeks with ds3 and he came on his due date. Pregs with ds4 and 24 weeks. No braxtons yet.

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 05-Jul-11 23:15:02

Absolutly it could be braxton hics... i get them earlier and earlier in each pregnancy - in my last i was getting them every so often from 16 weeks.x

libranlady Wed 06-Jul-11 06:58:18

Interesting....I actually quite like them. Feels like my stomach is doing a crunch of it s own accord, which has got to be a good thing, as I'm always far too lazy to do the sit ups and crunches I should be doing, when not pregnant I mean.grin. Thanks for your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now