Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When are you taking maternity leave?

(41 Posts)
yummymango Tue 05-Jul-11 17:29:58

Just wondering when you ladies are taking maternity leave?

I planned to start mine 2 weeks before my due date but I am not sure whether that's a bit late? It's fine when I am there but I have to get a bus and 2 packed tubes to work, never mind all the up and down steps in between.

I am wondering whether to stick some leave on the beginning and go off a week or two before that?

Interested in what you are all doing. Thanks

ToriaPumpkin Tue 05-Jul-11 17:36:08

I was planning to start at 36 weeks for many reasons, not least the fact that my job involved running up and down stairs several times a day for boxes and stock and I wanted a couple of weeks off to lounge about eating biscuits relax and make sure I was prepared for baby. Plus it would have coincided nicely with payroll dates etc.

As it happens I'm being made redundant so will leave at 31 weeks. So I'll have nine weeks to lounge about eating biscuits and watching boxsets prepare for baby and chill out.

I can see exactly where you're coming from about leaving it later so you get more time after, but would seriously consider how you're going to feel closer to the time. As you say your commute isn't exactly people friendly, never mind pregnant lady friendly.

PrincessJenga Tue 05-Jul-11 17:38:54

I was actually planning to carry on until 39 weeks (teacher & due the first week of the hols so it sort of makes sense) but I'm now 37 weeks and while physically fine I don't feel like I've had enough time to myself to get myself emotionally ready for the birth, baby, etc (sorry if that sounds a bit weird!) so I'm probably leaving next week, I say 'probably' because I'm lucky enough to have a very flexible boss who'll basically let me leave when I want to.

Annie456 Tue 05-Jul-11 17:40:49

I'm finishing work at 34 weeks (in 2 weeks!!) I cut down to 3 days (using annual leave) about 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad because I'm just not sleeping...on the days i'm at work i'm like a zombie and really need the2 days rest.
I'm also a train / tube / bus commuter and it's too much for me!

figgygal Tue 05-Jul-11 17:42:46

At the moment i am planning on working until 2 weeks before taking 2 weeks holiday and then starting my mat leave on due date, i think if comes early fine will have more days leave to carry over into next year when come back but dont want to start actual mat leave too early in case it is 2 weeks late.

BabyCub Tue 05-Jul-11 17:45:29

I am taking 4 weeks off prior to my due date (2 weeks annual leave & 2 weeks maternity).

I'm 33 weeks now, and commute an hour each way every day (train & tube). I am already completely fed up with the journey & am exhausted by the time I get to work! If I could afford to take more leave I most definitely would.

Everyone is different (I know someone who cycled to work every day up until she was 36 weeks!) but my advice would be to take a bit more time off, if you can.

(12 days left at work for me... not that I'm counting!)

outthere Tue 05-Jul-11 17:51:33

I've got to work until my due date because I can only afford to take 3 months off. sad I'm going to add some leave to that to hopefully stretch it out to almost 4 months...

Think I'd rather add my leave to the end rather than the beginning because I think I'll be more tired with a 3 month old baby than I will at 39 weeks pregnant (wath me eat my words!! grin ).

I'm very lucky though that I have a sedate job with just a 15 minute car drive...

Flowerydems Tue 05-Jul-11 18:03:23

I'm taking mine from 29 weeks on the dot. Mainly cause my DP has just got a job which is further away from mine (already a 40 mile commute) and we'll be moving house. Think I'm different as I won't be returning so I don't need to worry about not having enough time after as we're going down the 'we'll manage on one income for a few months' route and I'll get a part time evening/weekend job after (I'm sure I'll be less optimistic about this the closer it gets)

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Jul-11 18:08:44

finishing at 36 weeks; mainly because I'm a teacher and that nicely coincides with half term!

BikeRunSki Tue 05-Jul-11 18:16:58

37 weeks last time.
DS born at 38 weeks.

Will be 37 weeks this time too.

curlyeve Tue 05-Jul-11 18:27:00

34 weeks, I'm 29 weeks now and so tired already from my 1 hr drive to work smile
everyones different though! I wont be going back to work as all my pay would go on with childcare/ petrol / etc so I dont have the worry of how long I'll have afterwards.

silverangel Tue 05-Jul-11 18:32:46

I was due to finish at 29, take four weeks annual leave and start mat leave at 33. I've just been signed off though and won't be going back (27 +3) now. I'm expecting twins and a tube and train commuter and my back just can't cope with it anymore!

Pippaandpolly Tue 05-Jul-11 18:42:55

I'm technically going off at 37 weeks but effectively I'm starting at 29 weeks because I'm a teacher and I'm going off on the first day of the September term so will have the summer holiday off too. At the moment I feel like I could go on for a few more weeks quite happily (were it not about to be the holidays) but I am getting pretty tired so v grateful to have the extra time.

dribbleface Tue 05-Jul-11 19:11:21

36 weeks last time, 2 weeks annual leave so 38 technically. 35 weeks this time with annual leave as above. was about right last time, have a busy job as a day nursery manager.

YBR Tue 05-Jul-11 20:44:44

like outhere I want to work fairly late because I don't know that I can afford to be off for as long as I'd like. (DH being made redundant from end of August so I don't know what he'll be doing when I'm due [around Christmas] and I'm the main bread-winner anyway).

I was going to aim for about 10 days before I'm due, but as I am given my Annual leave in hours I hope to use some of that to work shorter days in the preceding weeks (my boss doesn't know that yet!) I've no idea if it will work yet, but it seems a good compromise at this distance.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 05-Jul-11 21:00:22

with dd1 I had 2 weeks holiday at 36w and went straight into mat leave after.

This time, I work in a school so summer hols start when I'm 31w - officially mat leave starts 1 Sept when I'm 37w but as I'm having twins that will be the week they'll be born by cs (unless they arrive earlier). I feel more than ready already at 28+5w but with twins to carry and a toddler, and work I'm not getting the "3 naps a day" I was advised to have! grin

KatieWatie Tue 05-Jul-11 21:08:50

My mat leave starts at 39 weeks and I'm taking a weeks leave before so it'll be 38 weeks. I've got a cushy office job and only a 10 minute drive to work though (and in fact could probably do some working from home a bit later on, it's not like anyone really gives a toss at my place).

In hindsight it's a little bit late but I can't be bothered to mess about altering the date!

Eskarina Tue 05-Jul-11 22:03:07

Another teacher hoping to stick it out until the end of term when I'll be 36+3. It's nice in that my mat leave can officially start the day before EDD as I'll be on holiday anyway.

hubbahubster Wed 06-Jul-11 05:27:48

I've just started mine at 37 weeks and the final week was a real struggle. I work in publishing so I had a deadline to meet before I left, but really wish I could have skipped those last few days!

babyonbord Wed 06-Jul-11 08:54:17

I started mine at 29 weeks but had a whole years annual leave to use up something like 5.8 weeks so offically my maternity leave started at 35 weeks. Having said that i only work part time anyway and am cutting my hours down further when (if) i go back still debating that with my dh (he doesn't want the mother of his children to have to work) however i only left earlier because i went into labour with my first at 36 weeks and was worried i'd be early this time and wanted a few weeks to finish shopping and get the nursery etc ready as it happens i'm still waiting for him to put an appearance in now.

babyonbord Wed 06-Jul-11 08:58:57

curlyeve we have that same problem, childcare would cost more than i earn so it would be pointless going back, however my mum is retiring next year and her dh has already so they are offering to do 2 days a week for me which means i get to go back a couple of days, at least it's a little break from running around after a baby, plus i like having my own spending money.

H007 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:59:44

As bean is due in November and my annual leave is taken from September to September I am hoping to use my annual leave to finish as soon as possible. I am tired already only 20 weeks and I have a 4 hour commute which is only ever gonna get worse. I have a meeting with personnel today to discuss my options, I get quite a lot of annual leave so I could be leaving as early as 28 weeks. I'm not going to waste my time though, going to devote it to my MSc and see how much of that I can get done smile all very exciting!

babyonbord Wed 06-Jul-11 08:59:48

(is it wrong i already miss work)

Lynzilove Wed 06-Jul-11 09:04:24

My maternity leave officially starts in my edd but ive been off since about 35 weeks as I had to take all my annual leave before my ML. Felt way too long when it started as I was bored out of my tree however, now I'm a week off being due and my bathroom is being renovated, and I'm busy feel like it's shooting by!!!

Serenenfys Wed 06-Jul-11 12:11:57

I will be finishing work the day before my due date (due date is conveniently a Saturday). Am currently 35+5 and coping thus far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now